• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped an arson last night

TRAKATAK

imported post

Here is just one more reason why the logic of "Well...I'm JUST going to the store.", or "I will only be out of the house for a little." does not work.

I was going to a poker game last night and my pistol was packed up ready for me to take to work and clean it on my break. I was in a big hurry and thought that I did not want to take the time to dig it out of my range bag and load a magazine. I forced myself to do it, because I harp about ALWAYS taking your sidearm to my wife.

It was almost midnight when I was driving home through Steilacoom on Washington Blvd. I noticed a large fire just off the side of the road at what appeared to be a gas station (turned out to be Levitt's Automotive on the corner of Washington and Vernon Ave). As I got closer I noticed it was a fire near a propane tank and there was an individual wearing a ski mask using a 2 gallon red plastic fuel can as a drip torch who was walking towards the gas pump island where a red 3000GT was parked. I knew it obviously wasn't right and immediately turned onto Vernon Ave and got out with my pistol drawn and told the individual to get on the ground with their hands behind their back. She was very reluctant to get down, as she was obviously very confused why a BMW stopped and a man with a gun gets out and orders her to the ground. Fortunate for me, two other people from the party were behind me and stopped when they saw me stopping. My possession of a gun was quite a bit of a surprise to them, and they said that they were on the phone with 911, as well as 2 other females that had stopped after us. The girl was laying on the ground for maybe 1 minute before the police arrived and told me to drop my gun and get on the ground too. Here is where the surprise comes.

They of course cuffed me first, as I had the gun, and told me they were detaining me until they could sort the whole thing out. They were obviously made aware that I was the good guy on the phone, but they have to take precautions. They cleared my pistol, put me in the back of a car, moved my car off the road, and then came to un-cuff me to have me fill out a sworn statement about what I saw. I filled it out and within 30 minutes of detainment, I was on my way home......shivering ass cold from lying in a 40 degree puddle.....but going home.

All the officers were very respectful and there were ZERO lectures about anything regarding a firearm, detaining someone, or otherwise. I would like to say thank you to those officers who responded for acting in such a professional and, most importantly, LOGICAL manner on the scene. Well done, gentlemen.

So my good deed for the day was done. I prevented someone from torching a business, car, and possibly blowing up a propane tank in a residential area.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kudos!!!!

I believe that is what a reasonable person would do, it is responsible and considering the circumstances may have prevented a loss of life. Even if that life had been the arsonist.

Kudos to the LEO involved here and to your patience of being detained.

Stretch

imported post

Thanks for sharing that story. Good to hear that things went well on all fronts. Well except for the criminal.

Johnny Law

imported post

Nice job!

That was a perfect example of when it is appropriate to point your gun at someone and detain them. Had she jumped up and ran off.............definetly NOT shootable however.

What the Officers did (draw and order you to drop the gun, go to ground,and handcuff you) is sop for the situation. The arriving Officers can never be sure who is who, or if the bg has disarmed/detained the good guy, so no chances are taken. The rule of thumb is when the Cops show up, EVERYONE is disarmed until everyone's role in the incident can be determined. I am glad that you realize why this was done, and have a good attitude towards the Officer's actions, as I feelthat not all here would be as understanding as you are.

Once again, nicely done. JL.

gsx1138

imported post

This has to be made up because 20/20 told me that guns aren't ever used for good in this country.....

Good work man. I wonder what was going on with this female arsonist? Love gone wrong?

Capn Camo

imported post

Excellent. That storys going to the list. Are you LEO or can you disclose that?

Did you all know that Citizens even have authority under law to assist LEO.
I wouldnt recommend just showing up on a hot scene and waving you piece around, but...yes, they gotta be sure whos the Good Guy.

I seem to recall advice from a CCW forum to holster before the Cods get there, if possible. A felon might not be good to do that with though.

Just went thru the same thought process, "Im only going to the driveway to change oil and someone in the house, I should leave the pistol inside." Except Im compromised under the truck and on the front line.

TRAKATAK

imported post

A brand new (less than 500 rounds through it) Sig Sauer 226 DAK bi-tone shall never be dropped on the ground! It was lovingly, albeit in a quick manner, placed gently on the ground.

As for my employment, I work for the government, specializing in international and domestic policy enforcement with a leaning towards non-ground based operations. I hope that is clear enough.

antispam540

imported post

TRAKATAK wrote:
A brand new (less than 500 rounds through it) Sig Sauer 226 DAK bi-tone shall never be dropped on the ground! It was lovingly, albeit in a quick manner, placed gently on the ground.

As for my employment, I work for the government, specializing in international and domestic policy enforcement with a leaning towards non-ground based operations. I hope that is clear enough.
That is why I carry a soft cloth along with my gun. It needs a nice place to be put down - no nasty asphalt :p

killchain

imported post

Very cool! Love to hear stories like this... exactly why I pack my .45 even if I'm in pajama pants! (Did this tonight to get some Papa Murphys... Just cinch them a bit tighter with the drawstrings and you're good...)

And I hope you set your pistol down. Road rash is bad. Hahahaha.

FMCDH

imported post

I agree with JL, excellent reactionsall around.

I think you were perfectly justified if your actions, and would have been further justified to fire had she not complied and attempted to start the building on fire anyway.

Just because its a "closed"business in the middle of the night, doesn't mean someone isn't inside the building whose life you may be saving. For all you could have known, she may have placed or incapacitated a person inside the business before she torched it.

There are any number of scenarios that could have been going on, but the fact that itis a building that people occupy, and that arson is a felony, I think that was a perfect example of how a LAC using a firearm for the common good can, and does happen.

Kudos :)

"Carry On!"

Decoligny

imported post

Only one suggestion for any future situations like this.

Position yourself appropriatelywith the knowledge that the Police will probably prone you out on the ground.

In other words, don't stand in, or in front of a puddle.

Move a little to one side or the other before the Police arrive.

Dry and cold is always more comfortable than wet and cold.

Nosrac

imported post

Nice job!! Nice that the Lakewood Police did a good job. Some of those guys look like they are maybe 16 years old...or maybe it's just me getting old. That corner is about 5 blocks from my house. I wonder what the story was regarding the arsonist.