• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rounds in pocket

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

I have a.38 Chiefs Special AirWeight that I used as my off-duty weapon when I was a LEO. If I use it to OC can I have the 5 rounds in my pants pocket? I also have a G17 that I could use to OC but have no mag holster. Can I put the loaded mag in my pocket if I were to use the G17 as my OC?

Thanks

wewd

imported post

Loose rounds, yes. No prohibition on concealing ammunition. Rounds in a speedloader are also fine to conceal.

Loaded mag, no. Bad case law from the 70's says a loaded magazine cannot be concealed if you have the matching firearm in your immediate possession.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Thanks wewd.Great! Now I can drive with my pockets full of ammo while the gun is on the driver's seat. Unloaded of course.

I'm a newbie so I may have missed this, but can you carry unloaded concealed?

Decoligny

imported post

wewd wrote:
Loose rounds, yes. No prohibition on concealing ammunition. Rounds in a speedloader are also fine to conceal.

Loaded mag, no. Bad case law from the 70's says a loaded magazine cannot be concealed if you have the matching firearm in your immediate possession.

A little clarification on the magazine issue.

If you have an exposed firearm, you can't have a concealed magazine with ammo in it as it is concidered an integral part of the firearm and may be used to make the gun ready to fire. This is considered a violation of PC 12025.

This is from People v. Hale.

Since rounds by themselves are not considered part of the firearm, they can be carried concealed with no problem. They can even be in a speed loader and not be considered part of the firearm.

Decoligny

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Thanks wewd.Great! Now I can drive with my pockets full of ammo while the gun is on the driver's seat. Unloaded of course.

Beware the dreaded "Gun Free School Zone" i.e. 1,000 feet from K-12 School property. It can get you a Felony conviction.

I'm a newbie so I may have missed this, but can you carry unloaded concealed?

Unloaded Concealed would be a violation of PC 12025.

You can legally carry in this manner on your own property as that is specifically exempted.

If you have an area of your own property that is not accessable to the public (totally fenced in) you can even carry concealed and loaded.

wewd

imported post

The only lawful method to conceal a handgun, revolver or other "concealable firearm" without a CCW is unloaded and locked in a secure container. Concealable firearm means any firearm with a barrel shorter than 16 inches.

camsoup

imported post

wewd wrote:
The only lawful method to conceal a handgun, revolver or other "concealable firearm" without a CCW is unloaded and locked in a secure container. Concealable firearm means any firearm with a barrel shorter than 16 inches.
Unless you are hunting or fishing...or going to or coming from hunting or fishing...:cool:,only an exemption to PC 12025, all other rules apply, ie school zones, unloaded in incorporated etc.

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
wewd wrote:

If you have an exposed firearm, you can't have a concealed magazine with ammo in it as it is concidered an integral part of the firearm and may be used to make the gun ready to fire. This is considered a violation of PC 12025.

Since rounds by themselves are not considered part of the firearm, they can be carried concealed with no problem. They can even be in a speed loader and not be considered part of the firearm.

In legal theory you can carry a concealed magzine with ammo in it so long as your OCd weapon contains an unloaded magazine in it.

The idea being that the magazine in your pocket is 'no longer an integral part of the firearm'

We hashed this out quite awhile ago, but I don't know of anyone on the forum that actually carries this way.

Decoligny

imported post

mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
wewd wrote:

In legal theory you can carry a concealed magzine with ammo in it so long as your OCd weapon contains an unloaded magazine in it.

The idea being that the magazine in your pocket is 'no longer an integral part of the firearm'

We hashed this out quite awhile ago, but I don't know of anyone on the forum that actually carries this way.

Never been tested in court. The actual language of People v Hale reads: "In our opinion concealment of an essential component of a visible weapon, when done in such a fashion as to make the weapon readily available for use as a firearm, presents a threat to public order comparable to concealment of the entire firearm and falls within the prohibition of section 12025."

It could be argued that any magazine that fits the firearm in question could be used as an essential component of a visible weapon as the parts are interchangable. If the empty magazine makesthe full magazine"not an essential part of the firearm that is being openly carried" then why is the full magazine even being carried at all?