Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody in the salem area?

Post imported post

Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? I am new to this site and to the concept of open carry. I have my CHL and I carry a SPRINGFIELD XD 45 COMPACT as my concealed carry weapon. can anybody recommend a holster for open carry, because I am really not sure what to get. any help is appreciated. thanks!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You may want to check out the holster section, but I think a lot of people like the serpa holsters. They can be worn with a paddle or a belt loop and have a retention button. I have one and like it.

Post imported post

ok I checked those out(the serpa holsters) and they seem pretty cool. I found them on l.a. police gear .com, they are about 16 bucks less than retail, so i will pick one up soon.:celebrate

Post imported post

I open carry all the time. Live off Lancaster behind bi-mart. I carry a xd-45 4" with thumb safety. I use a black hawk CQC holster on a paddle. Ever wanna go out for lunch and open carry I can convice the woman to strap also and we can have a grand old time lol

Post imported post

Hi Skinny, I'm new to OCDO and also somewhat new to carrying at all, I got my CHL a few months ago and just started OCing a couple of weeks ago. How long have you been OCing in Salem, I don't think I've seen anyone else do it. I carry a Daewoo DH40 in a Bianchi black widow I just bought and I love it. do you ever get harrassed by LEO?

Post imported post

I ride my 600rr around town with it out all the time. Have it out normly when I'm in walmart lol. As for the rest of town it's hit or miss. Never get harrased by leos. Have had a few come up and talk to me when I have it out but there always BSing with me.

Post imported post

Cool, I wish there was more people in the Salem area that OCed.

Post imported post

There are a handful. Problem is if you dint have your chl Salem law says you can OC loaded and thatdiscourages people

Post imported post

snakeghost wrote:
    Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? I am new to this site and to the concept of open carry. I have my CHL and I carry a SPRINGFIELD XD 45 COMPACT as my concealed carry weapon. can anybody recommend a holster for open carry, because I am really not sure what to get. any help is appreciated. thanks!
    I open carry every day anywhere I go wal-mart,winco,safeway. No problems yet!

Post imported post

skinny wrote:
    There are a handful. Problem is if you dint have your chl Salem law says you can OC loaded and thatdiscourages people
    I'm guessing you meant to write "can't" there.

Post imported post

hey thats great! good to know. I ended up getting a galco leather tan holster for my xd45 instead of the blackhawk serpa,i don't know,call me old fashioned, but i just like leather over plastic lol.

Post imported post

we need to set up an oc meet in salem anybody interested?

Post imported post

I'm in

Post imported post

me too

Post imported post

Heck yea Im in... all the meets everyone puts on are in WA or Portland area... Salems only 20 mins from me... Shoot me a message if anyone wants to get something together

any body thats in message me

I just started OCing in Salem. I dont have my CHL yet so I just open carry in a drop leg holster or a shoulder holster with loaded mags out of the weapon. I havent had any issues in Salem or anywhere in Oregon yet. I would be down for meeting with you guys/gals.

woah!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
    I just started OCing in Salem. I dont have my CHL yet so I just open carry in a drop leg holster or a shoulder holster with loaded mags out of the weapon. I havent had any issues in Salem or anywhere in Oregon yet. I would be down for meeting with you guys/gals.
    im surprized nobody has answered you yet!
    please stop OCing, right now!
    oregon has only 'some' premption.
    salem is a city that dosnt allow OC without a chl!
    read this pdf link, page 2 to see the list of the banned cities!
    Oregon pamphlet update

I updated the Oregon pamphlet with We-the-People's updated info. I had to axe the graphic on the 2nd page, but added the text back in. The cities were alphabetized.

Any other suggestions?
    Attached Files
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

From what Ive understood was that you cant OC a loaded weapon. The law doesnt state that you cant carry an unloaded weapon. This is the first that Ive heard that you cant OC in Salem in any way. Thanks for the heads up though.

Here is the law. It says "loaded" firearms.

95.095. Loaded Firearms. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition, while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015. (b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to: (1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty. (2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty. (3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. (4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370. (5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety

Here is where I found the law-http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/Legal/Salem%20Revised%20Codes/Miscellaneous.pdf
    Last edited by WhiteKnight; 12-23-2010 at 07:30 PM.

ohhh,

i misread your post that your OC gun is unloaded, my bad.
    you can lawfully open carry an unloaded gun in salem.
    i jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    i wonder though, if/when, a cop decides to make sure youre following the law to the letter?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Ive already had the worst experience I could ever have while OCing. I was on my honeymoon with my wife last month. We had decided to go on a trip to SoCal. On our first actual day in Cali we ended up in San Francisco and we were walking along the peir for about 3 to 4 hours. We hadnt had any issues. We had seen about 5 or 6 LEOs and not one of them looked at us wrong. We were then getting ready to hop back into the car when my wife wanted a Starbucks. Well, when we entered the Starbucks there was an LEO sitting by the door. I politely nodded at him and we got in line. A few moments later he calls for backup and puts me in cuffs. They walked us both outside and abruptly placed me into the back of a squad car. I was detained for about 30 min. while the LEO got his Sgt. on the phone to ask him if it was legal to OC. I had my weapon on a drop leg with one mag in the holder on the holster. My wife had a mag in her purse that the LEOs didnt know about. Long story made long, they took the cuffs off and gave me back my weapon and gave my wife the mag that I had in the holster. Crazy day. So if an LEO from Oregon asks me any questions Im more than prepared. LOL!

I oc every day in salem no negative reactions yet

Or cpl

heard he might be in WA this weekend?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

OC in Salem

I mostly CC in Salem but sometimes OC. Mostley when I have to take off my jacket or vest because of the heat. Never been hassled. I would be interested in getting together with others.

We should set up a time and place. Somewhere that ppl know is an OC friendly place. Anyone have any ideas? Someplace with coffee would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast