• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody in the salem area?

snakeghost

imported post

Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? I am new to this site and to the concept of open carry. I have my CHL and I carry a SPRINGFIELD XD 45 COMPACT as my concealed carry weapon. can anybody recommend a holster for open carry, because I am really not sure what to get. any help is appreciated. thanks!

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You may want to check out the holster section, but I think a lot of people like the serpa holsters. They can be worn with a paddle or a belt loop and have a retention button. I have one and like it.

snakeghost

imported post

ok I checked those out(the serpa holsters) and they seem pretty cool. I found them on l.a. police gear .com, they are about 16 bucks less than retail, so i will pick one up soon.:celebrate

skinny

imported post

I open carry all the time. Live off Lancaster behind bi-mart. I carry a xd-45 4" with thumb safety. I use a black hawk CQC holster on a paddle. Ever wanna go out for lunch and open carry I can convice the woman to strap also and we can have a grand old time lol

xl600r.fast

imported post

Hi Skinny, I'm new to OCDO and also somewhat new to carrying at all, I got my CHL a few months ago and just started OCing a couple of weeks ago. How long have you been OCing in Salem, I don't think I've seen anyone else do it. I carry a Daewoo DH40 in a Bianchi black widow I just bought and I love it. do you ever get harrassed by LEO?

skinny

imported post

I ride my 600rr around town with it out all the time. Have it out normly when I'm in walmart lol. As for the rest of town it's hit or miss. Never get harrased by leos. Have had a few come up and talk to me when I have it out but there always BSing with me.

skinny

imported post

There are a handful. Problem is if you dint have your chl Salem law says you can OC loaded and thatdiscourages people

sheepdog762

imported post

snakeghost wrote:
Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? I am new to this site and to the concept of open carry. I have my CHL and I carry a SPRINGFIELD XD 45 COMPACT as my concealed carry weapon. can anybody recommend a holster for open carry, because I am really not sure what to get. any help is appreciated. thanks!
I open carry every day anywhere I go wal-mart,winco,safeway. No problems yet!

snakeghost

imported post

hey thats great! good to know. I ended up getting a galco leather tan holster for my xd45 instead of the blackhawk serpa,i don't know,call me old fashioned, but i just like leather over plastic lol.

Glockguy

imported post

Heck yea Im in... all the meets everyone puts on are in WA or Portland area... Salems only 20 mins from me... Shoot me a message if anyone wants to get something together

WhiteKnight

I just started OCing in Salem. I dont have my CHL yet so I just open carry in a drop leg holster or a shoulder holster with loaded mags out of the weapon. I havent had any issues in Salem or anywhere in Oregon yet. I would be down for meeting with you guys/gals.

1245A Defender

woah!!

I just started OCing in Salem. I dont have my CHL yet so I just open carry in a drop leg holster or a shoulder holster with loaded mags out of the weapon. I havent had any issues in Salem or anywhere in Oregon yet. I would be down for meeting with you guys/gals.

im surprized nobody has answered you yet!
please stop OCing, right now!
oregon has only 'some' premption.
salem is a city that dosnt allow OC without a chl!
read this pdf link, page 2 to see the list of the banned cities!
Oregon pamphlet update

I updated the Oregon pamphlet with We-the-People's updated info. I had to axe the graphic on the 2nd page, but added the text back in. The cities were alphabetized.

Any other suggestions?​
paperclip.png
Attached Files

WhiteKnight

From what Ive understood was that you cant OC a loaded weapon. The law doesnt state that you cant carry an unloaded weapon. This is the first that Ive heard that you cant OC in Salem in any way. Thanks for the heads up though.

Here is the law. It says "loaded" firearms.

95.095. Loaded Firearms. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition, while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015. (b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to: (1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty. (2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty. (3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. (4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370. (5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety

Here is where I found the law-http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/Legal/Salem%20Revised%20Codes/Miscellaneous.pdf

Last edited:

1245A Defender

ohhh,

i misread your post that your OC gun is unloaded, my bad.
you can lawfully open carry an unloaded gun in salem.
i jumped to the wrong conclusion.
i wonder though, if/when, a cop decides to make sure youre following the law to the letter?