• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody in the salem area?

WhiteKnight

Ive already had the worst experience I could ever have while OCing. I was on my honeymoon with my wife last month. We had decided to go on a trip to SoCal. On our first actual day in Cali we ended up in San Francisco and we were walking along the peir for about 3 to 4 hours. We hadnt had any issues. We had seen about 5 or 6 LEOs and not one of them looked at us wrong. We were then getting ready to hop back into the car when my wife wanted a Starbucks. Well, when we entered the Starbucks there was an LEO sitting by the door. I politely nodded at him and we got in line. A few moments later he calls for backup and puts me in cuffs. They walked us both outside and abruptly placed me into the back of a squad car. I was detained for about 30 min. while the LEO got his Sgt. on the phone to ask him if it was legal to OC. I had my weapon on a drop leg with one mag in the holder on the holster. My wife had a mag in her purse that the LEOs didnt know about. Long story made long, they took the cuffs off and gave me back my weapon and gave my wife the mag that I had in the holster. Crazy day. So if an LEO from Oregon asks me any questions Im more than prepared. LOL! ;)

bigboar

OC in Salem

I mostly CC in Salem but sometimes OC. Mostley when I have to take off my jacket or vest because of the heat. Never been hassled. I would be interested in getting together with others.

WhiteKnight

We should set up a time and place. Somewhere that ppl know is an OC friendly place. Anyone have any ideas? Someplace with coffee would be great.

VW_Factor

We should set up a time and place. Somewhere that ppl know is an OC friendly place. Anyone have any ideas? Someplace with coffee would be great.

I would certainly like to attend something in the Salem area with ya'll. :) Being in Woodburn, I really don't know many friendly places in Salem tho.

Historyman1942

From what Ive understood was that you cant OC a loaded weapon. The law doesnt state that you cant carry an unloaded weapon. This is the first that Ive heard that you cant OC in Salem in any way. Thanks for the heads up though.

Here is the law. It says "loaded" firearms.

95.095. Loaded Firearms. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition, while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015. (b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to: (1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty. (2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty. (3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. (4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370. (5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety

Here is where I found the law-http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/Legal/Salem%20Revised%20Codes/Miscellaneous.pdf

You do have to be careful with the Gun Free School Zone Restrictions right?

JohnnyRed

Sorry to interrupt...

I live in Salem, but have been out of town for a while. I bought my Glock out of state, and plan on returning to Salem by the end of the year. Forgive me for my lack of understanding, but Ive seen a lot of back and forth, and I dont understand all the ORS language.

What is a public building in Salem? Just government buildings and schools? Can I open carry loaded WITHOUT a CHL? Can I open carry unloaded WITHOUT a CHL? In my car does the Glock have to be on the seat? Can it stilled be holstered? What are the laws on transporting?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been reading and getting no where, so I thought I would ask all the Salem guys/gals. Thanks for any answers you provide. North Carolina is a very OC friendly state, I can nearly carry everywhere. Oregon might be a change for me.

Thanks again.

Last edited: