• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my 1st OC outing today

glocked-N-loaded

imported post

Well after 2 weeks of research and countless hours of reviewing my rights,I decided today was the day.I was so nervous, but why shouldI if im protecting myself and legal. So the plan was to drive to my fathers house to give him a hand with a few things cause he is sick and on his way out.:cry:

SoI suit up, jump in my car and go. Made sure my route was clear of any schools prior leaving the house. boy,I drove likeI had 20lbs of meth with me. Didnt break any traffic laws the whole time.I get to his place, hang out a bit and leave. My wife needed me to pick up some salsa soI figured ill go to the mexican market down the street from my house cause its free of school zones.I walk in the place, right of the bat, a mother and her 15yr son made eye contact with me, then my firearm. they continued to go about there business like it was nothing. they showed no concern, worries........nothing.I was suprised actually. after my salsa purchase, I drove 5 blocks back to my house. my heart beat finally dropped a touch when I arrived.

Iwasnt in public but more then a few minutes. I was gladI popped my own cherry today. ;) Going out solo is something differant, but i was ready. Video, audio, pamplets and a whole lot of reviewing. Now and when i go out again to OC, ill feel more relaxed and ready for anything that might confront me.

Any tips or advice you want to input on........be my guess.

Army

imported post

You did fine. You made sure your travel route was clear, made sure any side trip was clear, checked off a "honey-do", and helped your Pop.

As you discovered, the people you were lead to believe would freak out...didn't care you were there.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

glocked-N-loaded wrote:
I drove likeI had 20lbs of meth with me...I walk in the place, right of the bat, a mother and her 15yr son made eye contact with me, then my firearm. they continued to go about there business like it was nothing. they showed no concern, worries........nothing.
Even some of the people who actually have 20lbs of meth drive like they have 20lbs of meth with them.

This is a problem in that you are already nervous doing something that is legal. If you have to take some time to clear your head and make the shakes go away, you really really need to take care of that before you go out. The reason why is pretty simple- people can read it in your face or your actions and usually come to the conclusion that something is wrong. Thepeople who sense your fearwill be the peoplemore likely tocall911.The other issue is, if you are nervous just walking out the door, how do you think you're going to feel when you are confronted with six or eight cops during a field investigation? It is very easy to forget your dialogue if you havent practiced what you will say during a field interview...the stuttering, stammering, trying to collect your thoughts is going to make the police edgy too.

The fact that those who saw your weapon went about their business is not really that surprising. In most instances people either dont notice or mind their own business with the typical non-gunner assumptions (ie: they must be leo, or 'authorized').

A few questions;

Did you have an active digital voice recorder with you?

Did you bring friendly witnesses with you?

Did you carry your firearm in a retention holster?

Do you have $5,000.00 set aside in the event you are arrested and must post bail and consult an attorney?

Beau

imported post

Man I feel sorry for you Cali folks. I give you respect though. I don't know if I would OC there. Not that I don't worry about eventually having a negative encounter with LE because I do. In Cali though I would expect it all the time.

I OC about 90% of the time here in IN. Never had a negative encounter.

Is it true that in Cali you have to OC unloaded? I've heard this and can't believe it. What is the point in carrying a firearm that is not ready to use when needed?

Anyway, congrats on popping the OC cherry. Stay safe.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Beau wrote:
Is it true that in Cali you have to OC unloaded? I've heard this and can't believe it. What is the point in carrying a firearm that is not ready to use when needed?

In incorporated city limits and areas where discharging a firearm is prohibited by local law, the firearm must be unloaded. Most rural areas are loaded open carry permissible.

The law does not make it illegal to carry both a firearm and the ammunition it discharges. The purpose is two-fold, 1) as a means of self-defense at the ready in a few seconds loading time, 2) an expression of political speech- protesting California's tortured firearms laws.

Gundude

imported post

You did fine, but I want to toss something in here.

If you get involved in an E-check, there are 3 things to say to the police....

I am carrying legally, unloaded.

I do not consent to any kind of a search.

I don't want to answer any of your questions without a lawyer present.

Then, shut your pie hole, and do whatever they tell you.

You are not required to show any ID, but they may take your wallet to look for it.

Don't try to hand them your weapon, let them take it to check it. After they check it, you can ask if you are being detained and are you free to go. Then go home and change into clean underwear.

glocked-N-loaded

imported post

Gundude wrote:
You did fine, but I want to toss something in here.

If you get involved in an E-check, there are 3 things to say to the police....

I am carrying legally, unloaded.

I do not consent to any kind of a search.

I don't want to answer any of your questions without a lawyer present.

Then, shut your pie hole, and do whatever they tell you.

You are not required to show any ID, but they may take your wallet to look for it.

Don't try to hand them your weapon, let them take it to check it. After they check it, you can ask if you are being detained and are you free to go. Then go home and change into clean underwear.
Just how I plan it. Thanks sir! ;)

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sorry to hear your father is not doing well.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest not going solo until you are comfortable with what you are doing. Perhaps, going outwith a group of OC'ers might be abetter break in path to take. If possible, have a friendly witness with you to observe in case of an encounter.

Congratulations on your first outing!

glocked-N-loaded

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
Sorry to hear your father is not doing well.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest not going solo until you are comfortable with what you are doing. Perhaps, going outwith a group of OC'ers might be abetter break in path to take. If possible, have a friendly witness with you to observe in case of an encounter.

Congratulations on your first outing!
Thanks! I posted a thread about when/where the next meeting will be, but I've have'nt heard anything for sure yet.

coolusername2007

imported post

Congrats on your first uoc. You did just fine. Everyone is nervous for their first solo carry, that's normal. As previously stated, just don't be sweating bullets...that would make people nervous. Do try group carry events...more will be posted soon.

Be a good example and representative for the movement. Exercise your rights and carry on!

ETA...sorry about your dad

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

glocked-N-loaded wrote:
bad_ace wrote:
glocked-N-loaded wrote:
Yes,I did have a audio/video recorder with me.....standby mode

What's standby mode?
Sort of like you nano. my device is near by and ready for me to press record at any giving time when contacted by a LOE.
You want your recorder running at all times. If you're approached by a police officer he may be totally cool with you grabbing your recorder and pressing record, or he may be drawing down on you and ordering you to keep your hands in the air. In the first encounter having a recording would be nice to have, in the second encounter having the recording will be extremely important.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

+1 to having the recorder running at all times.

First, moving your hands toward your body is a bad idea when a cop is pointing a gun at you (which is a distinct possibility - and you won't always see them coming). Second, if they see you activate it, then they may just decide to tamper with it - better off if they simply don't know you have it. Finally, it's not a bad idea to have running in case somebody decides to give you shit for carrying a gun - very rare, but if some very anti-gun person wanted to cause you problems, it's your word against theirs if you made a threatening comment while "displaying" your firearm (see PC 417).

pullnshoot25

xmattedgex

imported post

Beau
i can load a gun from my hip in 2 seconds and i know there's people on here that can do it much faster.