• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two tricky questions

TheSzerdi

imported post

Is there any law against carrying a loaded handgun in hand while just walking down the street? (Don't cite brandishing, we're assuming the person does NOT fall under that definition.)

Would it be legal for a CPL holder to OC into an otherwise prohibited area (bank, liquor store, etc) WITHOUT any ID? (You are only required to have your CPL on you when CC'ing and merely being a CPL holder gives you the option to OC in otherwise restricted areas if I read the law correctly.)

Any thoughts?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Is there any law against carrying a loaded handgun in hand while just walking down the street? (Don't cite brandishing, we're assuming the person does NOT fall under that definition.)

Would it be legal for a CPL holder to OC into an otherwise prohibited area (bank, liquor store, etc) WITHOUT any ID? (You are only required to have your CPL on you when CC'ing and merely being a CPL holder gives you the option to OC in otherwise restricted areas if I read the law correctly.)

Any thoughts?

I would equate the second one to driving without your driver's license, except that one's got a law on the books.

Either way, both of these things are envelopes I'm not gonna push.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
(Don't cite brandishing, we're assuming the person does NOT fall under that definition.)

Any thoughts?

Here's a thought:
brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish."

ostentatious
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Ostentatiously
Main Entry: os·ten·ta·tious
Function: adjective
Date: 1673
: marked by or fond of conspicuous or vainglorious and sometimes pretentious display
synonyms see showy
— os·ten·ta·tious·ly adverb
— os·ten·ta·tious·ness noun

With that as part of the definition can a conspicuous display of a firearm then be brandishing?

Main Entry: con·spic·u·ous
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin conspicuus, from conspicere to get sight of, from com- + specere to look — more at spy
Date: circa 1534
1 : obvious to the eye or mind <conspicuous changes>
2 : attracting attention : striking <a conspicuous success>
3 : marked by a noticeable violation of good taste

synonyms see noticeable
— con·spic·u·ous·ly adverb
— con·spic·u·ous·ness \-nəs\ noun

TheSzerdi

imported post

A good thought ISMOID. Some would argue merely OC'ing is displaying ostentatiously. I think one would need to examine the person's intent in any such argument. It is certainly not an OC'er's intent to display their weapon ostentatiously and for the sake of this discussion I would think it safe to assume that the person with pistol in hand does not intend to display ostentatiously.

An example: You notice your pistol is in danger of falling out of your waistband (or holster or wherever it was) and you have it in hand in public for whatever amount of time it takes to adjust your belt (or holster, etc) before replacing it.

Arguably this may be such a short time that no one notices, but all it takes is an officer driving by to glance in your direction. I sometimes carry my 1911 tucked into my waistband and while driving I'll set it on the floor beside me as it is uncomfortable to sit on in the car. Since it's difficult to put back while sitting I often stand with my back toward the open door of my vehicle while replacing it in my waistband.

(Edited to strike out: "While getting out of a vehicle" from the beginning of the example "You notice...")

conservative85

imported post

Venator kinda hit on this a few weeks ago on another post.

A cop cannot pull you over to just check if you have a drivers license.

A cop cannot ask you for ID unless you are doing something suspicious.
so to speak.

TheSzerdi

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Venator kinda hit on this a few weeks ago on another post.

A cop cannot pull you over to just check if you have a drivers license.

A cop cannot ask you for ID unless you are doing something suspicious.
so to speak.
I understand this, however, the questions are more specific than that. The first asks if there is a law on the books against carrying a loaded pistol in-hand. The second refers to the legality of OC in a restricted area while not carrying ID / CPL (person has CPL, just not on him/her). The way the law reads you shouldn't need to have CPL on person while OC'ing in an otherwise restricted area, but this could be arguable, or I may have missed a relevant subsection of law. Hence the question.

Just for the sake of the debate let's say a man with a gun matching your description robbed a store and you happen to be OC'ing in a nearby store that sells alcohol (said store would be off limits to an OC'er without a CPL). The officer then has RAS, but you have no ID / CPL on your person. Could you be cited for anything? (Other than the robbery; we'll assume you have an ironclad alibi for the time that it was committed.)

(You can see I'm obviously more interested in the 2nd question as it is much more likely to happen in some form to an average OC'er as we are not required to carry ID.)

conservative85

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:

Any thoughts?
I did not answer the first because I am sure you wil be charged with brandishing.

I was replying to your second question.

ID is not required to oc. now if you mean oc in prohibited areas without a CPL, well then the LEO has grounds to ID you.

T Vance

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Just for the sake of the debate let's say a man with a gun matching your description robbed a store and you happen to be OC'ing in a nearby store that sells alcohol (said store would be off limits to an OC'er without a CPL). The officer then has RAS, but you have no ID / CPL on your person. Could you be cited for anything? (Other than the robbery; we'll assume you have an ironclad alibi for the time that it was committed.) If this incident was to occur, they would possibly arrest you regardless (if you had a gun and matched the description). But not neccesarily. I know someone who was OCing and stopped shortly after a store he was near was robbed at gun point. He did match the description of the robber too (in some ways). He was detained, then let go, and not cited for anything. He also does not have his CPL. Now I'm sure if this happened it is possible that you could be charged with something, as an LEO could charge anyone with any type of crime, and it is up to that person to prove they are innocent.

(You can see I'm obviously more interested in the 2nd question as it is much more likely to happen in some form to an average OC'er as we are not required to carry ID.)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
ID is not required to oc. now if you mean oc in prohibited areas without a CPL, well then the LEO has  grounds to ID you.
No, he doesn't.

He has to have reason to believe you don't have a CPL to ID you. Just like driving - he has to have reason you don't have a DL to pull you over, or obviously, another infraction.

In short- I don't recommend carrying in a PFZ without a CPL on you - because they'll either find something to nail you with, or they'll take your ID illegally, and then make something up after the fact.

conservative85

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
ID is not required to oc. now if you mean oc in prohibited areas without a CPL, well then the LEO has grounds to ID you.
No, he doesn't.

He has to have reason to believe you don't have a CPL to ID you. Just like driving - he has to have reason you don't have a DL to pull you over, or obviously, another infraction.

In short- I don't recommend carrying in a PFZ without a CPL on you - because they'll either find something to nail you with, or they'll take your ID illegally, and then make something up after the fact.
Thats true your not concealing so you don't have to disclose, there for no RS.
Still don't know if I'd try it but something to think about.

Wait to legally O.C. in a PFZ you have to have your CPL on you so i think you'd have to disclose regardless of ID or not. so I think you would still have trouble with Bubba LEO

T Vance

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Wait to legally O.C. in a PFZ you have to have your CPL on you so i think you'd have to disclose regardless of ID or not. so I think you would still have trouble with Bubba LEO
You would still have to disclose (I would think anyway), but they would still need a reason to detain you.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

conservative85 wrote:

Why would you have to disclose unless the officer has RAS? If you were stopped because you fit the description of a bank robber, then he MAY have RAS. (But why would a person OC after robbing a bank? Just wondering about that.) If the stop is illegal then any information derived from that stop is inadmissible.

If the Officer has NO RAS, he can't demand anything from you, let alone demand ID or aCPL. He can't say his RAS is because you have a gun in a restricted zone. Firearms are allowed in restricted zones under certain lawful exemptions. His RAS can't be to see if you are or are not exempt from that zone.

Like the driving example, he can't just stop and ask for a DL without some other reason.

TheSzerdi

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
No, he doesn't.

Cite the law please. Exactly where does it say you must EVER have your CPL on you while OC'ing?

lapeer20m

imported post

I just read the entire mcl on disclosure and carrying your cpl, and i can find nothing that says you are required to carry your cpl, or disclose that you have a cpl, or disclose that you are carrying a pistol, as long as you are oc'ing, regardless of location ie: cez.

Ocing in a pfz without your cpl does however, sound like a good way to get your head bashed in or tazed by a crazed leo. Many officers can't even wrap their head around the concept that OC is legal, let alone OC in a PFZ.

conservative85

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
No, he doesn't.

Cite the law please. Exactly where does it say you must EVER have your CPL on you while OC'ing?

:shock: Well know I know why your asking , good luck! hope everything turns out well.

TheSzerdi

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
I just read the entire mcl on disclosure and carrying your cpl, and i can find nothing that says you are required to carry your cpl, or disclose that you have a cpl, or disclose that you are carrying a pistol, as long as you are oc'ing, regardless of location ie: cez.

Ocing in a pfz without your cpl does however, sound like a good way to get your head bashed in or tazed by a crazed leo. Many officers can't even wrap their head around the concept that OC is legal, let alone OC in a PFZ.

This is why I'm asking these questions. I've read the entire law and as far as I can see, the questions should be totally legal, however, I may have misread a word, skipped a line, or missed an entire section of law. More eyes to spot a possible hiccup in the legality and more thoughts to look for loopholes or ways the law could be misinterpreted to bust you is what I'm mostly asking for. Find something I missed or think of something I didn't, no one is infallible.

Edited to thank lapeer! I share your burning eyeball pain. Staring at laws sucks.