• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Phoenix area from L.A...a couple of OC questions

moleculo

imported post

I searched, but didn't see a FAQ or other thread to answer the simple questions. In Cali, we have a million OC rules: unloaded only, not within 1000 feet of schools, etc.

The OC map shows that AZ is a green state. Does that mean when I visit for the week I can OC loaded wherever I want (except fed property, of course)? I'll be on the Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc. area. Are there any state laws I need to know about?

Also, I plan on going out to see some scenery, probably north of Scottsale to the east. For any of the locals, are these areas National forests, state parks, national parks, or ???

Thanks in advance.

protector84

imported post

Arizona has very few restrictions on firearms relative to many other states. No permit is required to carry a loaded handgun but the gun or at least the holster it is carried in must be visible by law. To avoid any potential legal hassle, it is wise to ensure that the entire firearm is plainly visible. You cannot OC into government or private buildings and events that are posted "No Weapons" and if asked to leave you must comply. K-12 schools as well as most college campuses ban weapons. Bars and restaurants that serve alcohol also prohibit open carry. Many public parks will also be posted so check for signage. Other than that, when you are travelling whether in a car or on foot you can carry however you like as long as the gun stays visible. Common sense of course is recommended. If you are carrying a handgun, wear it in a holster and don't take it out in a grocery store to show your friends. If for some reason you decide to carry a long gun (which is rare unless people are going hunting or to the range), it is better to have it on a sling over your shoulder vs. in your hands to avoid a disturbance. That being said, carry away as there really are few restrictions on firearms in Arizona relative to other states.

Thoreau

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Whats the point of OCing an unloaded handgun?
In Kommiefornia, it's the only legal means of shoving the image of a handgun out into the public's eye. (Of course, most of those carriers will also have a few loaded magazines on the other side of their belt.)

To the OP: Regarding the land ownership in the area, it varies. The areas N/E of Scottsdale are going to be primarily private land with some national forest and state trust/park land mixed in. And of course the obligatory tribal lands. Of those lands, private is gonna be at the discretion of the owner (both for firearm carry and for permission to even be there.) State parks and national forest areas are 100% free reign to carrying a firearm (but not necessarily free for target shooting type activities depending on the specific location.) Be *VERY* careful on any tribal/indian lands!!!!! The general rule of thumb for those lands is 'dont' although SOME have been known to be OK with AZ CCW permits for concealed carry. Open carry, on the other hand, tends to be seen as a really bad idea out there.

If you come across any specific locatons that you aren't sure about, feel free to post 'em up here and surely somebody will be able to help determine the legal status of OC in that area.

AZkopper

imported post

As stated above:

It is entirely legal to have a loaded (yes, even one in the chamber) handgun in a holster on your side. Make sure the gun/holster is not concealed (no over shirts, jackets, etc).

If a business is posted ("no firearms" , "no weapons" etc) then you could be trespassed out.

If a town/city/county office is posted, it must have gun lockers for you. Public events that serve alcohol (rodeos, fairs, etc) are off-limits for guns.

You cannot carry in federal buildings (fed courts, forest service offices, post offices, etc).

You cannot carry in restaraunts that sell alcohol, without a CWP, and the gun must be concealed.

You cannot carry at polling places, K-12 schools, nuclear plants, hydroelectric plants. (no such animal as the 1000' rule in AZ).

colleges and universities are not per-se illegal, but you will be trespassed off.

On Indian land, stay on the highway.

AZ does not have any form of state gun registration. There is no permit needed to Open Carry.