Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW question

Post imported post

I have a CCW permit and I was curious, can I carry my wife's handgun ? Or does it have to be registered to me ? Im not too sure since it is my wifes gun.

thanks.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Yes.

And please open your wallet, pull out your license and READ what it says across the top.

I bet it says Concealed Pistol License = CPL

You used the term CCW which in Michigan is a 5 year felony and I doubt you got one of those.

Please correctly use CPL from now on and welcome to Open Carry dot org.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

and what city do you live in?

Post imported post

LLM1250 wrote:

I have a CCW permit and I was curious, can I carry my wife's handgun ? Or does it have to be registered to me ? Im not too sure since it is my wifes gun.

thanks.

Welcome to OCDO LLM1250

Read this: Subsection (H)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(44z...ame=mcl-28-432

Also this: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/12192-7.html

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    You used the term CCW which in Michigan is a 5 year felony and I doubt you got one of those.

Please correctly use CPL from now on and welcome to Open Carry dot org.

Dang, you beat me to it.

Post imported post

Welcome to the O..C. site, and yes you can carry your wife's, your mothers , friends or your father's pistol if they are legally purchased, and registered.

Post imported post

Yeah the SP is still using the incorrect acronym some places and the correct one in others However that does not change the fact that CCW is a felony and the licence is called a CPL!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)
    If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally.
    CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.

Post imported post

Im in Garden City. Also, forgive me for using the wrong acronym. Ive heard people say CCW for so many years. I do know it is CPL...lol. Thank you for the quick reply. I really enjoy thiswebsite.This is my second posting on this site.

On the topic of this website, you wouldn't know when they may have an open carry gathering in SE Michigan by chance ?

again, thank you for your time,

Post imported post

LLM1250 wrote:

Im in Garden City. Also, forgive me for using the wrong acronym. Ive heard people say CCW for so many years. I do know it is CPL...lol. Thank you for the quick reply. I really enjoy thiswebsite.This is my second posting on this site.

On the topic of this website, you wouldn't know when they may have an open carry gathering in SE Michigan by chance ?

There are 2 events scheduled for December 5th of this year and 1 eventon January 8th so far.

See the stickied Michigan Events Schedule Thread at the top of the Michigan subforum.

Post imported post

LLM1250 wrote:

NOTHING TO FORGIVE
    You can CCW just follow the restrictions.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
    Sec. 227.
    (2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Kitkin wrote:
    If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally.
    CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
    The other difference is that in Michigan you are only allowed to conceal carry a pistol in Michigan and no other weapons. Some states allow you to conceal knives and other weapons with their permits, so the correct term in Michigan is CPL. It will take time to change as the old term has been around for a long time.

So technically it's a CPL in Michigan.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Kitkin wrote:
    The other difference is that in Michigan you are only allowed to conceal carry a pistol in Michigan and no other weapons. Some states allow you to conceal knives and other weapons with their permits, so the correct term in Michigan is CPL. It will take time to change as the old term has been around for a long time.

So technically it's a CPL in Michigan.
    Yes that's CPL restrictions but you are still Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW)
    CPL is the license w/restrictions to CCW
    Driving a semi truck is not a CDL but you need one to do it legally

Post imported post

CCW is THE CHARGE for carrying a PISTOL concealed without a license. No other instrument is mentioned in the legislation concerning CCW. The license is a CPL.

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally. CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
    Since I don't need a license to carry a knife in my pocket, and the CPL actually expands my ability to carry a pistol, I don't see how it is a "restricted" license. I do, however, understand that a person carrying a pistol concealed would not be charged for CCW, because they are licensed to do so.

Same with "CDL". A person licensed to drive a commercial vehicle holds a CDL. A person driving a cmv without one would be charged with something else...driving without a license, perhaps.

C oncealed
    P istol
    L icense

It just makes sense....
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Here let me try...It is not a WEAPON! it is a fire arm, or pistol.

If you are correctly carrying a Pistol (not weapon) then you cannot be charged the MCL charge of CCW. If you conceal carry a pistol (not weapon) without a CPL then you can be charged with the MCL of CCW. If you are conceal carrying a knife (not a weapon) then you can be charged with CCW.

The object only becomes a weapon when it is carried in a manner described by law.

Post imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
    CCW is THE CHARGE for carrying a PISTOL concealed without a license. No other instrument is mentioned in the legislation concerning CCW. The license is a CPL.

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally. CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
    Since I don't need a license to carry a knife in my pocket, and the CPL actually expands my ability to carry a pistol, I don't see how it is a "restricted" license. I do, however, understand that a person carrying a pistol concealed would not be charged for CCW, because they are licensed to do so.

Same with "CDL". A person licensed to drive a commercial vehicle holds a CDL. A person driving a cmv without one would be charged with something else...driving without a license, perhaps.

C oncealed
    P istol
    L icense

It just makes sense....
    Its restricted because it only a license for a specific type of weapon.
    Every state has a ccw license no mater what they are called by each state or what the restrictions are they are all CCW license.
    Concealed Pistol License (CCW Permit) & Renewal
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0953--,00.html
    C arry
    C oncealed
    W eapon

It just makes sense

Post imported post

Kitkin wrote:
    SNIP
    Every state has a ccw license no mater what they are called by each state or what the restrictions are they are all CCW license.
    C arry
    C oncealed
    W eapon

It just makes sense
    I understand what you are getting at, however, the OP mentioned he had a CCW Permit. It is not called nor does it indicate it's a CCW Permit. It is a Concealed Pistol License. Nowhere on the license does it mention/indicate CCW Permit. This is all that's being said-nothing more, nothing less.

Also, not all states require a license/permit to CC. Alaska and Vermont do not require a license/permit to CC or OC.

And, not all states that issue licenses/permits are concealed pistol specific. IIRC, Indiana and Pa's licenses are LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun)-it does not indicate concealed.

Post imported post

Shhh be vary vary quiet, we hunt'in varmint

It is not a Weapon!

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    Shhh be vary vary quiet, we hunt'in varmint

It is not a Weapon!

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:

If you are correctly carrying a Pistol (not weapon) then you cannot be charged the MCL charge of CCW. If you conceal carry a pistol (not weapon) without a CPL then you can be charged with the MCL of CCW. If you are conceal carrying a knife (not a weapon) then you can be charged with CCW.

The object only becomes a weapon when it is carried in a manner described by law.
    Good try but
    Not by the MI law
    (b) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air.

Post imported post

Kitkin wrote:
    conservative85 wrote:

Good try but
    Not by the MI law
    (b) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air.
    You keep sheep'in the law and not the Constitution!, or a Dictionary for that matter.

Look I put it to you this way You obviously are new here, We (O.C'ers/Gun right advocates) don't refer to our fire arms as weapons, I could kill you with a pencil, in a court that would be a weapon, but until I use it in that manner it is a pencil. Until I use my fire arm in a violent manner, or violate the M.C.L. it is not a weapon.

If your gonna stick around we ask that you put the city you are from in the location.

Next Welcome to the site.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    Kitkin wrote:
    SNIP
    C arry
    C oncealed
    W eapon

It just makes sense
    I understand what you are getting at, however, the OP mentioned he had a CCW Permit. It is not called nor does it indicate it's a CCW Permit. It is a Concealed Pistol License. Nowhere on the license does it mention/indicate CCW Permit. This is all that's being said-nothing more, nothing less.

Also, not all states require a license/permit to CC. Alaska and Vermont do not require a license/permit to CC or OC.

And, not all states that issue licenses/permits are concealed pistol specific. IIRC, Indiana and Pa's licenses are LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun)-it does not indicate concealed.
    If its called a CCW PERMIT by state firearms law why would the op be wrong for using it?
    Didn't say those states require license/permit just said they have them.

Post imported post

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
    Sec. 227.
    (2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a

Where is it called a CCW permit?

750.227 is concealed weapons. period! Without a license to carry a pistol, you are considered carrying a concealed weapon.

As I said in the previous post It is a pistol until you violate the CCW law, or use the pistol in a violent, or malicious manner.

Post imported post

Some states refer to the licenses as a CCW. In Michigan it is called a CPL. Do you have one? Look at it and read it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast