• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW question

LLM1250

imported post

I have a CCW permit and I was curious, can I carry my wife's handgun ? Or does it have to be registered to me ? Im not too sure since it is my wifes gun.

thanks.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Yes.

And please open your wallet, pull out your license and READ what it says across the top.

I bet it says Concealed Pistol License = CPL

You used the term CCW which in Michigan is a 5 year felony and I doubt you got one of those.

Please correctly use CPL from now on and welcome to Open Carry dot org.

:)

SpringerXDacp

conservative85

imported post

Welcome to the O..C. site, and yes you can carry your wife's, your mothers , friends or your father's pistol if they are legally purchased, and registered.

autosurgeon

imported post

Yeah the SP is still using the incorrect acronym some places and the correct one in others :uhoh: However that does not change the fact that CCW is a felony and the licence is called a CPL!

Kitkin

imported post

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)
If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally.
CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.

LLM1250

imported post

Im in Garden City. Also, forgive me for using the wrong acronym. Ive heard people say CCW for so many years. I do know it is CPL...lol. Thank you for the quick reply. I really enjoy thiswebsite.This is my second posting on this site.

On the topic of this website, you wouldn't know when they may have an open carry gathering in SE Michigan by chance ?

again, thank you for your time,

SpringerXDacp

imported post

LLM1250 wrote:
Im in Garden City. Also, forgive me for using the wrong acronym. Ive heard people say CCW for so many years. I do know it is CPL...lol. Thank you for the quick reply. I really enjoy thiswebsite.This is my second posting on this site.

On the topic of this website, you wouldn't know when they may have an open carry gathering in SE Michigan by chance ?

There are 2 events scheduled for December 5th of this year and 1 eventon January 8th so far.

See the stickied Michigan Events Schedule Thread at the top of the Michigan subforum.

Kitkin

imported post

LLM1250 wrote:

NOTHING TO FORGIVE
You can CCW just follow the restrictions.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Kitkin wrote:
If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally.
CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
The other difference is that in Michigan you are only allowed to conceal carry a pistol in Michigan and no other weapons. Some states allow you to conceal knives and other weapons with their permits, so the correct term in Michigan is CPL. It will take time to change as the old term has been around for a long time.

So technically it's a CPL in Michigan.

Kitkin

imported post

Venator wrote:
Kitkin wrote:
The other difference is that in Michigan you are only allowed to conceal carry a pistol in Michigan and no other weapons. Some states allow you to conceal knives and other weapons with their permits, so the correct term in Michigan is CPL. It will take time to change as the old term has been around for a long time.

So technically it's a CPL in Michigan.
Yes that's CPL restrictions but you are still Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW)
CPL is the license w/restrictions to CCW
Driving a semi truck is not a CDL but you need one to do it legally

Taurus850CIA

imported post

CCW is THE CHARGE for carrying a PISTOL concealed without a license. No other instrument is mentioned in the legislation concerning CCW. The license is a CPL.

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally. CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
Since I don't need a license to carry a knife in my pocket, and the CPL actually expands my ability to carry a pistol, I don't see how it is a "restricted" license. I do, however, understand that a person carrying a pistol concealed would not be charged for CCW, because they are licensed to do so.

Same with "CDL". A person licensed to drive a commercial vehicle holds a CDL. A person driving a cmv without one would be charged with something else...driving without a license, perhaps.

C oncealed
P istol
L icense

It just makes sense....;)

conservative85

imported post

Here let me try...It is not a WEAPON! it is a fire arm, or pistol.

If you are correctly carrying a Pistol (not weapon) then you cannot be charged the MCL charge of CCW. If you conceal carry a pistol (not weapon) without a CPL then you can be charged with the MCL of CCW. If you are conceal carrying a knife (not a weapon) then you can be charged with CCW.

The object only becomes a weapon when it is carried in a manner described by law.

Kitkin

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
CCW is THE CHARGE for carrying a PISTOL concealed without a license. No other instrument is mentioned in the legislation concerning CCW. The license is a CPL.

Yes a CPL is a restricted MI license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) If two people were carrying concealed pistols in Mi both would be CCW's if one had a license (CPL) he would not be charged. So CCW is only a crime if done illegally. CCW is not a felony if you have a license to do it and follow the restrictions of that license.
Since I don't need a license to carry a knife in my pocket, and the CPL actually expands my ability to carry a pistol, I don't see how it is a "restricted" license. I do, however, understand that a person carrying a pistol concealed would not be charged for CCW, because they are licensed to do so.

Same with "CDL". A person licensed to drive a commercial vehicle holds a CDL. A person driving a cmv without one would be charged with something else...driving without a license, perhaps.

C oncealed
P istol
L icense

It just makes sense....;)
Its restricted because it only a license for a specific type of weapon.
Every state has a ccw license no mater what they are called by each state or what the restrictions are they are all CCW license.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Concealed Pistol License (CCW Permit) & Renewal[/size][/font]
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html
C arry
C oncealed
W eapon

It just makes sense

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Kitkin wrote:
SNIP
Its restricted because it only a license for a specific type of weapon.
Every state has a ccw license no mater what they are called by each state or what the restrictions are they are all CCW license.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Concealed Pistol License (CCW Permit) & Renewal[/size][/font]
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html
C arry
C oncealed
W eapon

It just makes sense

I understand what you are getting at, however, the OP mentioned he had a CCW Permit. It is not called nor does it indicate it's a CCW Permit. It is a Concealed Pistol License. Nowhere on the license does it mention/indicate CCW Permit. This is all that's being said-nothing more, nothing less.

Also, not all states require a license/permit to CC. Alaska and Vermont do not require a license/permit to CC or OC.

And, not all states that issue licenses/permits are concealed pistol specific. IIRC, Indiana and Pa's licenses are LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun)-it does not indicate concealed.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Shhh be vary vary quiet, we hunt'in varmint

It is not a Weapon!:cuss:
20_Elmer_Fudd2.jpg