• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC/OC Holster for 1911 ultra carry?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I am having a really hard time finding the right holster for CC/OC. I have a Bianchi carrylok which is great for OC, but I can't conceal with it at all! I am 6ft 150lbs. I also have a smartcarry which is perfect for deep concealment of my 1911. They both serve a purpose, but I can't seem to find a good option for CC/OC in one holster. I need to be able to open carry into restaurants but also be able to conceal without printing. I ruled out SOB though I do like to carry that way around the house. There is just no way to safely OC SOB. What would you all recommend?

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a crossbreed supertuck combat cut.

Thanks,
Alex

ODA 226

imported post

Alex,

I'd stay with the holster you have. It has good retention and looks professional. If you start carrying with a Supertuck (NO RETENTION), I fear you're going to have troubles if you go into a restaurant and "Virginia Tuck".

You might have to change your clothing style and just wear a T-shirt with a loose outer shirt, preferably one with some sort of print pattern on it. That way if you must uncover, you can just remove your outer shirt and you're still go-to-go without any "grey" legal or retention issues.

Craig

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Maybe it's the way I carry. When I carry at 4' or so, the rear sight sticks out of my side and you can clearly tell that I am carrying. I can carry at 5' and that fixes the rear sight problem, but then I can't get to my wallet because the holster covers my pocket. I need to modify this holster which will require a little leather work. I might try to get a place that repairs leather to do it. Anyways I like the retention of my holster but I guess I will need to try to figure out other ways to wear it and clothing options.

eyesopened

imported post

I carry my EMP in a Comptac MTAC holster. It's a great holster for CC and the EMP is just slightly smaller than a 3" 1911 but fits just fine in the same holster. Also had no issue with doing the virginia tuck in restaurants. I just tuck the shirt behind the butt/grip of the EMP and walk in.

nova

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Try a well made pancake holster. Galco makes one for 1911 type weapons and they work very well.
I have a Safariland 3-slot pancake and can easily conceal a 4" .357 with it. Granted I have a larger frame than CRF.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Try a well made pancake holster. Galco makes one for 1911 type weapons and they work very well.
I have a Safariland 3-slot pancake and can easily conceal a 4" .357 with it. Granted I have a larger frame than CRF.

Yea, the OP does not specify the actual weapon and 1911 covers a range of sizes. I assume he is talking a full size 1911. I usually carry a Para P12.45, which while thicker than a standard 1911, has a 3.5" barrel and a slightly shorter grip being based on the Commander. My carry holster is a Galco CON218H. These days I can effectively use the "old fat guy" retention system.

But it has been a long time since I last saw 150 Lbs. Frankly at 5' 15", and 230 Lbs, I could probably conceal a Desert Eagle in .50 AE without printing. I already know I can conceal a S&W .500 Mag with a 4" barrel despite having no need to do so as a daily carry weapon.

But for the OP I would still recommend a Galco. I might even suggest a few visits to Micky-D's, and a less active lifestyle. In any case Galco holsters are well made, reasonably priced for a quality leather holster, and work for both OC and CC. Some of these are flexible as to strong or weak side carry, barrel length and/or "rake". -

No retention strap-
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=155&GunID=28
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=209&GunID=28

Retention strap-
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2100&GunID=28
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3039&GunID=28

Regards

nova

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
nova wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Yea, the OP does not specify the actual weapon and 1911 covers a range of sizes. I assume he is talking a full size 1911.
OP is talking a 3" bbl compact :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
nova wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Yea, the OP does not specify the actual weapon and 1911 covers a range of sizes. I assume he is talking a full size 1911.
OP is talking a 3" bbl compact :)

Then there is no question that a Galco will do the job assuming active retention is not a requirement. If it is then a sherpa would be better.

Regards