• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to MOC with a rather basic question

captnkirk

imported post

Good day! I've been lurking for awhile and doing a rather significant amount of reading and decided to join.
First off let me say that the information here is outstanding! I'm looking for clarification on one thing though, I'm sure will most will think it's a simple question but here goes anyway...

I took the CPL class, passed, did the paperwork, prints, etc. and now waiting on getting my permit. I would like to exercise my right to open carry in the meantime. In regards to those that do not have a CPL and open carry my question is, how so you transport your gun lawfully from home to where ever it is you are going and back? For example WalMart or Kroger.
I'm assuming that the weapon is first unloaded, placed in a case in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle (such as the back of an SUV) with the ammo and magazine(s) separated from the weapon. Once arriving at the destination, you then go to the trunk or rear area, retrieve your firearm and magazine and then holster your weapon keeping it in plain sight. Upon leaving and going home, you take the same steps as when you first left.

Is this correct?

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!

Captn---

Yooper

imported post

captnkirk wrote:
Good day! I've been lurking for awhile and doing a rather significant amount of reading and decided to join.
First off let me say that the information here is outstanding! I'm looking for clarification on one thing though, I'm sure will most will think it's a simple question but here goes anyway...

I took the CPL class, passed, did the paperwork, prints, etc. and now waiting on getting my permit. I would like to exercise my right to open carry in the meantime. In regards to those that do not have a CPL and open carry my question is, how so you transport your gun lawfully from home to where ever it is you are going and back? For example WalMart or Kroger.
I'm assuming that the weapon is first unloaded, placed in a case in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle (such as the back of an SUV) with the ammo and magazine(s) separated from the weapon. Once arriving at the destination, you then go to the trunk or rear area, retrieve your firearm and magazine and then holster your weapon keeping it in plain sight. Upon leaving and going home, you take the same steps as when you first left.

Is this correct?

Captn---
Your gun can not have a loaded magazine in it, or one in the chamber (while transporting), but it is ok to have a loaded magazine in the same case as the gun.

Other than that clarification, you've got it!! Also, be aware, that ANY place that sells alcohol is off limits until you get your CPL

captnkirk

imported post

Yooper wrote:
captnkirk wrote:

Is this correct?

Captn---
Your gun can not have a loaded magazine in it, or one in the chamber (while transporting), but it is ok to have a loaded magazine in the same case as the gun.

Other than that clarification, you've got it!! Also, be aware, that ANY place that sells alcohol is off limits until you get your CPL
Thanks for the quick response Yooper!

Excellent. Just a little more specificity however..the 'case', this can be the case the the gun came with, correct? Maybe this will help, I have a Glock 22 so can I use the case it came with? Also, anyplace that sells alcohol...I believe I read that this not only means bars, clubs, etc that sell by the glass, but also envelopes stores that sell alcohol by the can, bottle, case, whatever, for example Kroger that sells cold beer.

Captn---

Yooper

imported post

captnkirk wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Yooper!

Excellent. Just a little more specificity however..the 'case', this can be the case the the gun came with, correct? Maybe this will help, I have a Glock 22 so can I use the case it came with? Also, anyplace that sells alcohol...I believe I read that this not only means bars, clubs, etc that sell by the glass, but also envelopes stores that sell alcohol by the can, bottle, case, whatever, for example Kroger that sells cold beer.

Captn---
I don't think the case has to be anything special. A cardboard box would do. I think the law states (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG), that it has to be in a container or wrapper. If I'm correct, you could wrap it with newspaper.

Yes, actually, its any place that has a license to sell alcohol or not. They don't have to sell alcohol, just have the license for it. Though, I doubt some place would have a license and not sell.

captnkirk

imported post

Thanks again!

I did a little more investigating and according to the MSP site it states:

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

This is also stated in MCL 750.231a, subsection 1 parts d & e:

[/font][/size][/font]
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

It does say closed case..so the original would work!

Captn---

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]

[/font][/size][/font]

Yooper

imported post

Well....here's what I found
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable; “local corrections officer” defined.
Sec. 12a. (1) The requirements of this act for obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol do not apply to any of the following:

(j) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of his or her vehicle or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition
for that pistol from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business, or in moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(I guess the wrapper thing applies to transporting between home/business/place of repair?)

Anyhow, click on the above link, and search for the word "wrapper". In may places (AG opinions, DNR regs, MCL) it states "wrapper" is acceptable.....so I don't know