• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused

Reepin_Ruether

imported post

Hey guys,

I'm 18 and live in Washington, MO. From what I've read so far is that you don't need a permit to OC in Missouri and I can OC in the proper places and not get into any trouble. Is that correct?

Also I'm a little confused on the "Travel" status one can be and have a concealed weapon in the drivers vehicle. Can you shed some light?

Thanks,

Coty

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Reepin_Ruether wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm 18 and live in Washington, MO. From what I've read so far is that you don't need a permit to OC in Missouri and I can OC in the proper places and not get into any trouble. Is that correct?

Also I'm a little confused on the "Travel" status one can be and have a concealed weapon in the drivers vehicle. Can you shed some light?

Thanks,

Coty
Theoretically, under the Missouri state constitution and state law, you can legally O.C. without restrictions. But.... The state law also allows individual towns, counties, villages, etc. to enact their own laws with regard to open carrying of weapons. As a result, you may be legal carrying openly in one jurisdiction but stop across the street or cross an invisible boundary and you can be breaking the law.

The State legislature has preempted regulation of concealed carry, however. And RSMo. 571.030.4 does allow anyone 21 or over who can otherwise legally possess a gun to carry a concealable (not a rifle or shotgun) anywhere in the passenger compartment of a vehicle without a permit. That includes on their person so long as they they are in the vehicle. If it's concealed in the vehicle, then state law takes precedence over local law(s). If it's carried openly in the vehicle, then you might run afoul of some local village ordinance against openly carrying a firearm.

There is no central repository to go to in order to find out what towns have ordinances against open carry. You have to research the ordinances of each and every town or village where you might want to carry to see if they have such a ban. This was one of the (successful) arguments used to get the legislature to enact a CCW permit law in 2003.

LT SOUP

imported post

Hey thanks for that info as well. I was wondering the same thing, as far as having it on my hip while driving. It is on my right side (weapon) and i was wondering if they could tackle me with cc /wo permit due to them standing to my left and the weapon is not right infront of them. The way i understand it is you can have it on your person while driving and beeing stoped. If i am wrong please shep more light. Lt. out.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

LT SOUP wrote:
Hey thanks for that info as well. I was wondering the same thing, as far as having it on my hip while driving. It is on my right side (weapon) and i was wondering if they could tackle me with cc /wo permit due to them standing to my left and the weapon is not right infront of them. The way i understand it is you can have it on your person while driving and beeing stoped. If i am wrong please shep more light. Lt. out.
The so-called "glove box" provision was introduced in 2002 by Rep. Wayne Crump. The way he explained it, "80% of my constituents only want to be able to carry a concealed gun in their car when traveling." He figured that he might be able to get Gov. Holden to agree to that rather than an actual CCW permit law. Although Rep. Crump turned out to be mistaken about the Governor accepting that provision, it was combined with the CCW bill in the Senate committee after both had passed the House.

The actual language of the law http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM states:

"571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
"(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
[ ...]
"3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. ..."

I keep http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm Missouri Revised Statutes -- Weapons Offenses in my browser's bookmarks toolbar for handy reference.

mspgunner

imported post

I just asked a Washington Police officer that question. Although OC is "Legal" in Washington the Police will take you in and leave it at the descretion of the City Prosecuter. That is where it stands as far as I know. He said the local law is a little gray.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

mspgunner wrote:
I just asked a Washington Police officer that question. Although OC is "Legal" in Washington the Police will take you in and leave it at the discretion of the City Prosecutor. That is where it stands as far as I know. He said the local law is a little gray.
The officer will have to charge you with something in order to "take you in." Did he happen to say what those charges would be?

mspgunner

imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
mspgunner wrote:
I just asked a Washington Police officer that question. Although OC is "Legal" in Washington the Police will take you in and leave it at the discretion of the City Prosecutor. That is where it stands as far as I know. He said the local law is a little gray.
The officer will have to charge you with something in order to "take you in." Did he happen to say what those charges would be?
NOPE! LEOs are just plain anti-OC some times. I'm just plain "I have no need to go to jail for a BS charge". I'm working with legislators to do away with this garbage and change the Missouri Statute! That will take care of it. Will take a year, it will happen. There are a lot of folks who want to challange LEOs, I'm not one of them. I CCW and go to work every day. Until the statute is changed I have no desire to play cat and mouse.

cash50

imported post

mspgunner wrote:
I just asked a Washington Police officer that question. Although OC is "Legal" in Washington the Police will take you in and leave it at the descretion of the City Prosecuter. That is where it stands as far as I know. He said the local law is a little gray.

We should take him and whatever lousy no good prosecutor would charge this along with any cops making up bs chargesand drag them up and down the street.

That's horse crap and a half.

Mo

Banned
imported post

I getting really sick of hearing about these threats and outright false information being lashed out by LEOs on people simply inquiring and trying to get information on OC. How awful. What happened to America?? :banghead:

"We're gonna take you in.." ??? WTF??

And I've never even been arrested in my life, never gave the cops any troubleand am just a hard working guy that finally has the chance to get into firearms as a part time hobby.

Article1section23

imported post

Reepin_Ruether wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Coty

Reepin,

Welcome to the board! There is no age limit for those covered under the travelers exception.The state will have to prove that you weren't a traveler, if this is your defense.So don't talk to cops.

You can get a ccw from Maine at 18 and then your legal in MO. Get it and save yourself some headaches.