• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man was robbed of his concealed weapon + mags

swatspyder

imported post

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/71002412.html

SEATTLE - A man with a concealed weapon permit was robbed not only of his gun but also two magazines, his wallet, cell phone and keys early Sunday at a motel on Aurora Avenue North.

Officers were dispatched to the scene, in the 2200 block of Aurora Avenue North, at about 1:50 a.m. after a 911 caller said some men with guns had assaulted his friend and now were trying to break into his motel room.

When officers arrived, there was no sign of the gunmen, who had fled the scene by then. Police talked to the victim who had been assaulted and also the man who had called 911 from his room.

The victim said he had been in his room with the 911 caller and his girlfriend, then walked outside to have a smoke.

As he walked down the stairs, he heard someone say, "There's one of them," and he was then confronted by at least two men. One of them had a handgun.

The victim was grabbed by the man with the gun, and was struck several times with the weapon. He said he was also pepper-sprayed.

The victim, who has a concealed weapon permit, was then robbed of his personal firearm, two magazines, his wallet, cell phone and keys.

The victim said he managed to get back to the room of his friend, and they then heard a knock at the door. It was the armed men, who tried to break into the room but were not successful.

The victims were unable to provide a description of the suspects.

David.Car

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
The victims were unable to provide a description of the suspects.
You just got your ass beat by 2 guys and you couldn't even tell the police if they were black or white, or wearing jeans, or anything?

That sets off some BS alarms in my head.

FMCDH

imported post

Talk about your loss of situational awareness.:?

I think some people carry a gun so often and for so long that they forget they have it, and thattheycarry it asan option to use it. Its tough to be aware every moment of every day, but if your going to carry a gun, you better be conscious of the fact you have it.

The story is kind of vague as to how much time this guy had to react, but it does hint that he was alerted verbally that something was about to go down before he was attacked.

If your jumped by overwhelming odds, its hard to fault a person for being a victim, even if they are armed, but its also not a good idea to allow yourself to be dragged "quietly into the night".

It would be interesting to know more,I wonder if this person is a member.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
So much for tactical advantage.

Something fishy about this story? There is something else going on.
This is exactly what I thought. Something just doesn't seem right about this story.

jchen012

imported post

Yes this is a fishy story. First of all the guy gets a motel and of all places, it happens to be on Aurora. Also he is with a lady friend... hmm... do I dare say prostitute tells her pimp where they are and he comes and robs the John?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
That is exactly why I don't smoke and why I don't carry extra magazines!

OMG, the comments on KOMO's website make me want to barf.
NavyLT you should reconsider not carrying at least one extra magazine, as if you have a malfunction it is much quicker to drop the magazine, rack the slide and insert a new magazine another point is that it may take more then what you have one on magazine to protect yourself or another.

The story does smell fishy at best, how would they know he had a concealed pistol? and why was he not ready when he heard them say there is one of them? Then he was able to return to the room and then at a later time the two who assaulted and robbed him showed up at their room?

Capn Camo

imported post

MM4W trist?

Strange story, indeed. Getting jumped in the dark and no ID is no surprise.

Where was the tac light and situational awareness?

Another reason I dont like concealed. Concealed = harder to get to.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
MM4W trist?

Strange story, indeed. Getting jumped in the dark and no ID is no surprise.

Where was the tac light and situational awareness?

Another reason I dont like concealed. Concealed = harder to get to.
Story read that he had a concealed pistol license not that he was carrying concealed.

Awareness is at the top of the list for prevention be it open or concealed carry.
If he was carrying openly this could account for taking his weapon or he was telling others he was carrying concealed, it is a concern for both open and concealed carriers.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
BigDave wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

NavyLT you should reconsider not carrying at least one extra magazine, as if you have a malfunction it is much quicker to drop the magazine, rack the slide and insert a new magazine another point is that it may take more then what you have one on magazine to protect yourself or another.
Thank you for the points to consider. It is a valid point.
Or just carry another loaded gun. Quicker than swapping to a spare mag.

Johnny Law

imported post

Almost anytime a motel is involved, and someone is trying to take items from another and get into their motel room, it smells of a drug rip.

FMCDH

imported post

Kildars wrote:
I would feel so guilty right now if I was the victim. Thoughts of them using my firearm to kill someone would be racing through my head.
They already had a gun! You cant be "deader" if someone kills you with TWO guns can you? If someone stole your cowboy boots off your feet, then you later found out that they were used to beat someone to death with, exactly how does that bring culpability or guilt to you?

Maybe you should only wear bunny slippers from now on? :quirky

Yes, a firearm is a far more efficient way to kill someone than a cowboy boot, but dead is dead, and an inanimate object is an inanimate object until acted upon by the human will.

If you don't want someone to take your firearm, you better be prepared to defend it by any means necessary, but if you try and defend it with a bunny slipper, you better be a good shot.

Bunny shot placement is key! :p

massivedesign

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

They already had a gun! You cant be "deader" if someone kills you with TWO guns can you? If someone stole your cowboy boots off your feet, then you later found out that they were used to beat someone to death with, exactly how does that bring culpability or guilt to you?

Yes, a firearm is a far more efficient way to kill someone than a cowboy boot, but dead is dead, and an inanimate object is an inanimate object until acted upon by the human will.

If you don't want someone to take your firearm, you better be prepared to defend it by any means necessary, but if you try and defend it with a bunny slipper, you better be a good shot.

+1000 Couldn't have said it better myself!

Trigger Dr

imported post

That is why I carry a revolver, they don't jam

BigDave wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

The story does smell fishy at best, how would they know he had a concealed pistol? and why was he not ready when he heard them say there is one of them? Then he was able to return to the room and then at a later time the two who assaulted and robbed him showed up at their room?

Kildars

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Kildars wrote:
I would feel so guilty right now if I was the victim. Thoughts of them using my firearm to kill someone would be racing through my head.

Oh god, please forgive me for having some guilt that my firearm may have been used in a crime. It doesn't mean it was my fault, but I would still feel guilty.

Get off your high horse.

Bm7b5

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
BigDave wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Thank you for the points to consider. It is a valid point.
Or just carry another loaded gun. Quicker than swapping to a spare mag.
Speed magazine reload is probably faster than deploying a BUG.