• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ASU Student Shot "Accidentally"

chiefjason

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
I didn't get all of that from the story. That sounds like a conclusion made by the reader vs something stated by the article. JMO
[/quote]

I was also asking a question. Seeing if anyone else saw it that way. Not to sound crazy, but I think the link has changed or the article in the link has changed. That, or I've read to many accounts of this. Either way when the cops mention that he bought it used, that it was legal, and he did not know it was loaded It sure lends itself to that conclusion. But how many times do we hear the "I did not know it was loaded" defense? It just seems really hard to forget about loading a Muzzleloader. From load to shoot is about 6 steps to make it go bang.

And surprise, surprise alcohol was involved. Who loaded it is the least of this guys worries.

jp49911

imported post

Jason, I'm glad you said you thought the article changed cause now I know I'm not crazy (I noticed the change too).

I see your logic and it's sound. Like I said in my last post I read things a little different.

"And surprise, surprise alcohol was involved. Who loaded it is the least of this guys worries."

This is all I was able to find:
"Drugs and/or alcohol use was indicated on the police report; however, this has not been confirmed by detectives."

That's pretty vague and inconclusive. It could mean people told the police that Ruble was known to get drunk or they found marijuana in the apartment. It could mean a lot. Did you see anything else? I'm sure there are several articles.

Nevertheless, you are correct when you say "Who loaded it is the least of this guys worries."

BTW, I can' believe he has a $10,000 bond for manslaughter. I had a $20,000 bond for a class 1 misdemeanor...SMH

jp49911

imported post

I saw this in the Charlotte Observer:

He was previously charged with marijuana possession and underage possession of alcohol, court records show. Both charges were dismissed in 2007. He has no further North Carolina criminal record.

jp49911

imported post

Here's what the article said about the mother:

"We know he loved Jay," said Susan Derby, Jay's mother, saying she isn't angry with Ruble.
"For me, it's just sadness," said Derby.
So she is saddened but not angry and knows he loved him.

But here are comments from the News and Observer readers:

"I bet everyone had also been drinking."

"I guess it's fairly difficult to remember all those gun safety rules when in all likelihood Ruble was drunk." (at least they put "in all likelihood)

"Send the punk off to Afghanistan for 10 years and maybe he'll grow up." (punk???)

"He was probably jealous that Derby was still in school making something of himself while he was working two dead end jobs probably making minimum wage."

"Never be friends with rednecks with guns... they will most likely "accidentally" shoot and kill you." (first punk now redneck)

"The alcohol gave this kid the nerve to do what he didn’t have the nerve to do when he was sober. Throw the book at him."

"This thug need to rot in prison!" (Punk-redneck-thug...interesting combo)

I HATE the mob mentality. This guy was NO DOUBT negligent and will pay for it. Even after a conviction and serving a sentence he will still pay with his conscience every day of his life.

Why do people feel the need to add to things like this? I think it's clear that he made THE WORST POSSIBLE lapse in judgment when it comes to firearm handling, but I don't think all of the people with so many opinions know the young man's character.

Now he's a punk-thug-redneck that was drunk and jealous who should be shipped to Afghanistan for 10 years before he goes to rot in prison.

Before the facts come out in any story you have 1,000 people saying "I bet..."

We have ALL done something stupid. I remember as a teen driving 110 mph on the freeway. Now I look at how negligent that was and would NEVER do that again. Where would I be had I hit a minivan with a family of four? Save for the grace of God, there go I.

Before anyone else throws this guy under the bus (which is totally unnecessary as he will get his punishment) I hope they will pause and think back to their negligent moment.

It may not have been pointing a gun at someone or driving 110 mph on the highway but I'm sure it's something. Take a moment to ponder...

lonewolf2810

imported post

I agree but like I said IF he knew it was loaded then he should have disclosed that point to the buyer. And again who is to say he did not tell him, we may never know. We may hear more on this as time goes on.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
No I am saying the sell here more than likely knew the firearm was loaded if that be the case. That's all I am saying, so if he knew he should be held just as responsible as anyone. Now that is if he knew it was loaded.
Did you know that this is the same argument that the Brady campaign brought against firearm manufacturers a few years back? It was the responsibility of the owner of the rifle to ensure it was not loaded, and it was only his responsibility to make sure it wasn't in some other kid's face. He brought it out to scare people? That is called "going armed to the terror of the public". Couple this with manslaughter and you have few a potentially premeditated homicide.

BooneToon

imported post

I was at that appt where it happened and saw the gun sitting in his room about 6 days before this happened. It was a black powder rifle or something that took precussion caps. Iwasnt there on that day... but i can pretty much say there were drugs involved and maybe alcohol. The kid that was shot was his friend. Im sure it was an accident but neglagence was most likely involved. I had friends in the appt when it happened... Long story short... Dont even get near guns if your on drugs or drinking. This gives guns a bad name... If guns are treated with care and stored properly this could have been avoided all together.

Imet the kid that did this...once... seemed like a decent guy... kept to himself.

From what i witnessed in the appartment when i was there a few days before this happened. I can almostsay that drugs and alchol along with poor judgement was the cause of this.

chiefjason

imported post

jp, I understand you are trying to help keep the story straight. I heard the news on the radio, I believe, about the alcohol. Regardless, here it is in print too.

"BOONE, N.C. - Authorities on Monday charged Galen Elijah Ruble with accidentally killing his friend, an Appalachian State University student shot and killed in an off-campus apartment early Sunday morning.

Ruble, 20, was arrested and charged with felony involuntary manslaughter in the death of Jay Derby, 19, of Matthews.

Police said Derby, a sophomore business major, died after being shot once in the face while at an off-campus party at the Appalachian South Apartments on Faculty St. early Sunday.

Detectives said Derby and other friends were hanging out and drinking beer at Ruble's apartment when Ruble decided to show off a primitive, hunting-style, single-shot rifle -- known as a muzzle loader -- he recently purchased. Police said seven people were inside the apartment when the shooting took place.

Police said Ruble, who is not a student, did not know the gun was loaded when he pointed it at Derby and pulled the trigger.

Police said the two young men were best friends.

Alcohol was involved in the incident, police said. Detectives said it is not clear why Ruble had purchased the gun.

Ruble is free on $10,000 bond with a court date scheduled for Dec. 15. It wasn't immediately known whether Ruble had an attorney, and a telephone listing for his family had been disconnected."

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-charges-filed-asu-shooting-091123,0,6276554.story

I've done my share of stupid things and no one has gotten hurt. But, shooting + poor gun safety+ college kids+night+7 in an apartment most likely = alcohol involved. I did my time at WCU, I think we partied harder than most when I was there. It's like 2 guys+1 girl+night+cursing+fighting= alcohol. ;) At WCU the 4 food groups were pizza, subs, taco bell, and beer. I'm not sure which is more important, that I graduated or that I survived.

chiefjason

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
Jason, NOW I see what's really goin on...you're a Catamount!

That explains it all :p

Is this spoken from experience? Or did you go to WCU North Campus? lol I got out before they managed to wreck the night life. I shouldn't complain, since they upped the requirements my diploma is worth more! :cool:

jp49911

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
...Or did you go to WCU North Campus? lol I got out before they managed to wreck the night life. I shouldn't complain, since they upped the requirements my diploma is worth more! :cool:
On the contrary. I went to App. I know exactly what you mean about your diploma being worth more; I have the exact same thing.