• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another victory for 'Zero Tolerance'

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Warrantless drug dog searches, anyone? Detention without RAS? Etc etc etc.
Yep, sounds like college to me.

Had the drug dogs through the dorms at IUP a few times while I was there (I lived off-campus, so I wasn't actually *there* there.)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Had the drug dogs through the dorms at IUP a few times while I was there (I lived off-campus, so I wasn't actually *there* there.)

Keyword: dorms.

I haven't lived in dorms, and consequently the only drug dogs I've seen were in my high school days.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Keyword: dorms.

I haven't lived in dorms, and consequently the only drug dogs I've seen were in my high school days.
Well, now you know.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Only children live in dorms.

You have failed to cite relevant evidence. I'm talking classrooms, not dorm rooms.

When you live in a dorm, you sign a contract stating you'll allow search of your possession at any time.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:

You have failed to cite relevant evidence. I'm talking classrooms, not dorm rooms.

When you live in a dorm, you sign a contract stating you'll allow search of your possession at any time.
So you're arguing that despite me providing examples of 1:1 comparisons, they're not really comparisons because one is "children" and the other is... ....."children"?

And if only children live in dorms, there must be a lot of children in colleges the world over.

KBCraig

imported post

marshaul wrote:
When the dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was an undergrad, the only full-time students not required to live in dorms were those who were married, or who lived locally with a parent, grandparent, or a sibling over 21.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP "Zero tolerance" is just PC newspeak for thoughtless, knee-jerk and reflex and instinct and Pavlovian training.
+1

Also, we had a comment from another member on another thread that "zero-tolerance" derives ultimately from an unwillingness to accept responsibility. Protect their jobs, that sort of thing. It made a tremendous amount of sense the way it was explained in that post.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
marshaul wrote:

So you're arguing that despite me providing examples of 1:1 comparisons, they're not really comparisons because one is "children" and the other is... ....."children"?

And if only children live in dorms, there must be a lot of children in colleges the world over.
No, I'm arguing that the parents of children, or adults, can sign a contract permitting RAs to inspect dorm rooms. This is NOT akin to permissionless, warrantless, suspicionless searches which all public school children are subjected to.

I've never heard of that happening in classrooms in universities. I'm not saying it hasn't, but I've not heard of it.

It's not a 1:1 comparison because dorm ≠ classroom.

Capn Camo

imported post

I'm erring on the safe side of protecting staff and kids"—Willows High Principal Mort Geivett"

No, hes attempting, like most other tin plated dictators with visions of Godhood (star trek reference) to MAKE LAW.

State Schools usually have authority to make RULES, but they get power mad and try to take law into their own hands.

I took a State College in Ohio on and rammed this down their throats.

The other problem is the Mother caving in on whats known in WA as "contributory fault." She more or less admitted shared guilt in stating that he was lazy for not taking it out of the truck."

Thats the break that the Ultra Leftists are looking for, to change the subject (red-herring).

[size=[b]but she questioned the district's ability to enforce its policies off Willows High School property.

Second mistake, she didnt come armed with the FACTS as to whether they were or not, and was not able to point to LAW.
][/size][/b]

Capn Camo

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Yes, let's sue the world. :quirky

Neighbor, you have a SERIOUS problem there. Two, actually:

1.) Our American Civilized Society requires that as an action. What else are you recommending, allow it to go unchecked?

Your statement is an ad-hominem attack against someone else.

2.) the only other option is to allow abuses to go so far that we have to take up arms to settle it. are you advocating THAT?

riverrat10k

imported post

Typical leftist reply, it seems. I specifically stated sue the principal. This tactic is so old. Strawman arguement.

Never stated sue the world or even that lawsuits are a good thing.

IN THIS SPECIFIC CASE, SUE EVERYONE INVOLVED IN VIOLATING HIS RIGHTS.

Clearer now?

scorpio_vette

imported post

i feel sorry for my 9month old son. he's going to grow into a world raised by a father who grew up in the country, with common sense and respect, but surrounded by zombies with no free will, no ability to think for themselves, and afraid of their own shadows.

man i hope this world gets hit with another natural disaster that wipes out at least 50% of civilization and takes things back a couple decades.

darthmord

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
IN

LOCO

PARENTIS

NO RIGHTS VIOLATED.

Unfortunately, they were. The school has no jurisdiction over vehicles and their contents when located off school property.

I'm sorry you cannot see this but it's plain as day to my eyes. If the offending items are off school property, the most a school can do is call the police and have them sort it out. The school can try to bully the student & his/her parents into caving to their demands but again, they have no legal basis for self-action against property owned by a student/staff member unless signed into contract.

Ex: I drive a vehicle. I store a firearm legally in said vehicle. My child occasionally drives said vehicle as well. It's parkedoff school property during school hours as indicated in the story in the OP. My child is at said school. I'm also at the school.

Can the school take action against the vehicle and my child? What if I drove it instead of my child?

The school overstepped its bounds in the story. They need to be sued and hard.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
IN

LOCO

PARENTIS

NO RIGHTS VIOLATED.
troll-spray.jpg