• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another victory for 'Zero Tolerance'

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS! :cuss:

Really hope that they will file suit against the school.

Yata hey

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

The student was still in possession of the shotguns while on school property. His truck, and thus the shotguns, were off-campus, yes, but he was still "in possession" of them via having the keys, presumably, on his person, with the firearms in them, within easy access of the school.

Riana

imported post

It certainly smacks of an illegal search to me.

So you mean to tell me that if a man's car is stolen, and the thief leaves an unloaded shotgun in the trunk and parked it in a public lot that the school decided to search, if the victim has a child at that school, that child could be expelled? That is how this zero tolerance philsophy works out.

Riana

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
The student was still in possession of the shotguns while on school property. His truck, and thus the shotguns, were off-campus, yes, but he was still "in possession" of them via having the keys, presumably, on his person, with the firearms in them, within easy access of the school.
I sure hope that isn't the case. That would imply that I am always in possession of a firearm on school grounds, because I live near the school and have a key to my house.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

Riana wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
I sure hope that isn't the case. That would imply that I am always in possession of a firearm on school grounds, because I live near the school and have a key to my house.
Hey, I'm just using school logic.

Thoreau

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Then I suppose he would have been 'in possession' of the shotgun just the same had it been located at home (another item he has the keys to?)

Edit: Doh, Riana beat me to it.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
Then I suppose he would have been 'in possession' of the shotgun just the same had it been located at home (another item he has the keys to?)

Vehicle != Home

Riana

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Riana wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
Hey, I'm just using school logic. <--- Sadly, you don't see much of that anymore

Thoreau

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:

Vehicle != Home
And 'in vehicle' != possession

Dreamer

imported post

As an adult student attending a university in pursuit of a Masters Degree, this case has disturbing implications for me and thousands of other law-abiding adult firearms owners around the country.

I never carry on campus, because even with my CHP, carrying on school property is prohibited in NC. I rarely even leave my pistol locked up in my truck which I park SEVERAL blocks off-campus) because I don't want to have to worry about some putz breaking into my vehicle while I'm in class and making off with my prized Para. When I go to classes, I usually just leave my firearm at home. I don't like to do that, but it's my only alternative, considering the high rate of vehicle B&E in Greenville, and the potential penelties I may suffer if caught with a firearm (as a student, the penelties are MUCH higher than for non-students).

If this DOES go to court, and the school wins, this would set a liberty-threatening precedent.

Because then we would have to worry about the fact that even though our vehicles are parked off campus and our guns are locked up inside the vehicle, the moment we set foot on campus, we are in violation of state law because according to the "logic" of this school, we are still "in possession" of said firearm.

This has the potential to be a VERY bad situation for ALL gun owners. This policy (if more widely adopted by other school systems) would essentially ban ANYONE from setting foot on any school campus if they kept a firearm in their vehicle.

Scary...

If they take this one to court, I hope they establish a legal defense fund, because I will GLADLY contribute to getting this ridiculous ruling overturned. I would suggest ANYONE else who has children in school, or is currently attending or plannign to attend college should support this young man and his family in ANY WAY POSSIBLE...

bigdaddy1

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:

I have to disagree. He was not in possetion of weapons while on SCHOOL PROPERTY. I have guns in my home, I have the keys to my home on me.My workplace has a policy of no weapons on the premises. If my car is parked off the lot they have NOTHING to say legally or otherwise. They may try to make it sound like the school ZONE extends beyond its property line but in a court of law your property line is pretty much cut and dried.

I will be looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

One could even take this to a different angle. In those states which have adopted a zero tolerance policy, which is just about as dumb as a toilet seat, if a student happens to have Tylenol or Midol on their person in a public school, they're hosed. Same for a saw or a screw driver. So to apply the logic of these idiots, if they left said items in their car off of school grounds, they could be in one heck of a fix.

Just more proof that the inmates are running the show.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:

I have to disagree. He was not in possetion of weapons while on SCHOOL PROPERTY. I have guns in my home, I have the keys to my home on me.My workplace has a policy of no weapons on the premises. If my car is parked off the lot they have NOTHING to say legally or otherwise. They may try to make it sound like the school ZONE extends beyond its property line but in a court of law your property line is pretty much cut and dried.

I will be looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one
Hey, you're not disagreeing with me, I'm just trying to use their logic to try and rationalize their side.

If you hit your head just right, it makes sense.

Flyer22

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
As an adult student attending a university in pursuit of a Masters Degree, this case has disturbing implications for me and thousands of other law-abiding adult firearms owners around the country.

I never carry on campus, because even with my CHP, carrying on school property is prohibited in NC. I rarely even leave my pistol locked up in my truck which I park SEVERAL blocks off-campus) because I don't want to have to worry about some putz breaking into my vehicle while I'm in class and making off with my prized Para. When I go to classes, I usually just leave my firearm at home. I don't like to do that, but it's my only alternative, considering the high rate of vehicle B&E in Greenville, and the potential penelties I may suffer if caught with a firearm (as a student, the penelties are MUCH higher than for non-students).

If this DOES go to court, and the school wins, this would set a liberty-threatening precedent.

Because then we would have to worry about the fact that even though our vehicles are parked off campus and our guns are locked up inside the vehicle, the moment we set foot on campus, we are in violation of state law because according to the "logic" of this school, we are still "in possession" of said firearm.

This has the potential to be a VERY bad situation for ALL gun owners. This policy (if more widely adopted by other school systems) would essentially ban ANYONE from setting foot on any school campus if they kept a firearm in their vehicle.

Scary...

If they take this one to court, I hope they establish a legal defense fund, because I will GLADLY contribute to getting this ridiculous ruling overturned. I would suggest ANYONE else who has children in school, or is currently attending or plannign to attend college should support this young man and his family in ANY WAY POSSIBLE...
You don't have to worry about it affecting you. Higher education is generally treated much differently. For one thing, basically everybody who attends college is directly paying the collegefor the privilege, and in addition, college students are usually of legal age, and therefore have many more rights within the education system than minor students.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Scary...

You don't have to worry about it affecting you. Higher education is generally treated much differently. For one thing, basically everybody who attends college is directly paying the collegefor the privilege, and in addition, college students are usually of legal age, and therefore have many more rights within the education system than minor students.
Sorry, are we living in the same universe?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I could ask the same question of yourself.

That university students often may not, for example, carry guns, hardly puts them at the same level of rights infringement as underage attendees of mandatory public school.

Warrantless drug dog searches, anyone? Detention without RAS? Etc etc etc.