• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine Capacity

Did you believe there was an ammo limit when hunting deer in Wisconsin?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

29.014Rule-making for this chapter.

29.014(1)
(1) The department shall establish and maintain open and closed seasons for fish and game and any bag limits, size limits, rest days and conditions governing the taking of fish and game that will conserve the fish and game supply and ensure the citizens of this state continued opportunities for good fishing, hunting and trapping.

29.014(2)(2)

29.014(2)(b)(b) All of the rules promulgated under this chapter are prima facie reasonable and lawful until found to be otherwise in a final determination by a court.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wisconsin statute.

941.28Possession of short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
(1) In this section:

(a) "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a rifled barrel a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.

(b) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(c) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(d) "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(2) No person may sell or offer to sell, transport, purchase, possess or go armed with a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lammie wrote:
29.014Rule-making for this chapter.

29.014(1)
(1) The department shall establish and maintain open and closed seasons for fish and game and any bag limits, size limits, rest days and conditions governing the taking of fish and game that will conserve the fish and game supply and ensure the citizens of this state continued opportunities for good fishing, hunting and trapping.

29.014(2) (2)

29.014(2)(b) (b) All of the rules promulgated under this chapter are prima facie reasonable and lawful until found to be otherwise in a final determination by a court.
This gives teeth to theDNR to draft and enforce the Administrative Code as it relates to hunting (NR10) and fishing. NR10 is where the actual hunting hours, etc are to be found... NATURAL RESOURCES Fish, Game and Enforcement, Forestry and Recreation

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Wisconsin statute.

(1) In this section:

(a) "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a rifled barrel a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.

(b) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(c) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(d) "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(2) No person may sell or offer to sell, transport, purchase, possess or go armed with a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.

Don't forget the most important part.....;)

[align=left](4)
This section does not apply to the sale, purchase, possession, use or transportation of a short−barreled shotgun or short− barreled rifle to or by any armed forces or national guard personnel in line of duty, any peace officer of the United States or of any political subdivision of the United States or any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872. This section does not apply to the manufacture of short−barreled shotguns or short−barreled rifles for any person or group authorized to possess these weapons. The restriction on transportation contained in this section does not apply to common carriers. This section shall not apply to any firearm that may be lawfully possessed under federal law, or any firearm that could have been lawfully registered at the time of the enactment of the national firearms act of 1968.
[/align]

SprayAndPray

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Lammie wrote:
Wisconsin statute.

(1) In this section:

Don't forget the most important part.....;)

[align=left](4)
This section does not apply to the sale, purchase, possession, use or transportation of a short−barreled shotgun or short− barreled rifle to or by any armed forces or national guard personnel in line of duty, any peace officer of the United States or of any political subdivision of the United States or any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872. This section does not apply to the manufacture of short−barreled shotguns or short−barreled rifles for any person or group authorized to possess these weapons. The restriction on transportation contained in this section does not apply to common carriers. This section shall not apply to any firearm that may be lawfully possessed under federal law, or any firearm that could have been lawfully registered at the time of the enactment of the national firearms act of 1968.
[/align]

Exactly .... I know all about NFA (as I have a few supressors) and am thinking about my first SBR , ...

I was curious if it was actually codified you could not hunt with an SBR or SBS..... It looks like no

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
Slap in the Beta Mag and go to town....

My question was , in this years pamphlet it says shotguns have to be 18" and rifles 16" to hunt with.... Is that codified or is DNR making up rules as they go again?

Do not confuse the little "rule" book with actual Statutes or Code. They are loosely stating that they are illegal. This is the truth unless they are registered. The little rule book is only intended to be a general guideline to keep people out of trouble. The 16" and 18" "rule" is intended todiscourage Bubba from hacking his barrel shorter.

The reality is that so long as you have the$200 tax stamp, you may hunt with a suppressed and short barreled rifle. There is no NR code nor WI Statute prohibiting it,just as there is nothing prohibiting Open Carryand nothing prohibiting you from wearing a purple shirt on Thursdays....
no, i can't wear purple.:D

opusd2

imported post

Don't be so hard on yourself. Have you ever actually tried to wear purple? Start with the socks, start slow and maybe it will get better.

Better yet, just get a purple beta mag.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IANL but I believe I_K is correct. If a person registers a SBR or SBS with the federal goverment and pays the $200 transfer tax($1 for the Marble Game Getter)it appears the firearm can be legally owned.

Para. 4 of 941.28 would allow possession of such firearm in the state of Wisconsin. There doesn't appear to be any statute under chapter 29 oradministrative code under NR10 that would restrict using the firearm for hunting in Wisconsin, as long as the tax and registration has been complied with.

A person contemplating such an act should consult a lawyer. Conviction carries a penalty of a Class H felony.

SprayAndPray

imported post

Lammie wrote:
IANL but I believe I_K is correct. If a person registers a SBR or SBS with the federal goverment and pays the $200 transfer tax ($1 for the Marble Game Getter)it appears the firearm can be legally owned.

Para. 4 of 941.28 would allow possession of such firearm in the state of Wisconsin. There doesn't appear to be any statute under chapter 29 oradministrative code under NR10 that would restrict using the firearm for hunting in Wisconsin, as long as the tax and registration has been complied with.

A person contemplating such an act should consult a lawyer. Conviction carries a penalty of a Class H felony.
They cant convict if you have a tax stamp... PERIOD. If they were not legal to own in Wisconsin the ATF would not approve Stamps for the transfer.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
I was curious if it was actually codified you could not hunt with an SBR or SBS..... It looks like no
Definitely not prohibited. I have talked to several Wardens about the various regulations and they have been aware of this fact. I have found a couple who still believed that I could not lean an unloaded rifle against my vehicle until I pointed out the exception in the Statute. They seemed irritated about the DNR FAQ stating that it is OK to have a loaded rifle in the woods after season closing and that you may walk down the road with a loaded rifle so long as you are not actively "hunting". Walking from a stand tothe cabin or from 1 stand to another is OK. If you are on a deer drive, you are screwed.

SprayAndPray

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
If you are on a deer drive, you are screwed.
Lost me here..... What do you mean?

JimE

imported post

There's lots of 'assumed' laws out there.

SomeI hear all the time is how it's "illegal to sell handguns in Madison" (stems from a very restrictive city 'code', which I believe would be shot down if someone wanted to challenge it...but it's easier to move out of town than fight city hall) and "In the city of Madison all guns must be locked at all times". (most likely liberal propaganda misconstrued from the child safety act).

It's dangerous to assume laws and comply with them, this is then how these myth laws become real without so much as a whimper of opposition.

SprayAndPray

imported post

JimE wrote:
There's lots of 'assumed' laws out there.

SomeI hear all the time is how it's "illegal to sell handguns in Madison" (stems from a very restrictive city 'code', which I believe would be shot down if someone wanted to challenge it...but it's easier to move out of town than fight city hall) and "In the city of Madison all guns must be locked at all times". (most likely liberal propaganda misconstrued from the child safety act).

It's dangerous to assume laws and comply with them, this is then how these myth laws become real without so much as a whimper of opposition.
You think those are fun... Tell a truck driver there is no federal law against a firearm in a Commercial Motor Vehicle and watch them argue about it

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
SprayAndPray wrote:
I was still talking about walking down the road with a loaded rifle. It is legal so long as you are not "hunting". Being part of a Deer driveis considered active hunting.

SprayAndPray

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
SprayAndPray wrote:
I was still talking about walking down the road with a loaded rifle. It is legal so long as you are not "hunting". Being part of a Deer driveis considered active hunting.

Gotcha!!!!!

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
You think those are fun... Tell a truck driver there is no federal law against a firearm in a Commercial Motor Vehicle and watch them argue about it
Back in 1995 when I got my CDL, somewhere in the training materials there was aprohibition. It may have been bullcrap but it was there. I clearly remember being suprised and disappointed when I found it. I found it while I was studying for my test. It apparently does not currently exist as I have gone over all of the current training material and applicable Federal and State Statutes.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Different states have different limits. When I was a kid in Alabama the limit (IIRC) was 3 for shotguns and 5 for rifles. As for hunting critters why would anyone need more than one shot? Isn't everyone a "crack shot"?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Different states have different limits. When I was a kid in Alabama the limit (IIRC) was 3 for shotguns and 5 for rifles. As for hunting critters why would anyone need more than one shot? Isn't everyone a "crack shot"?
That is the issue. We are too good of shots and we have a surplus of deer. Just like the DNR is saying, we are over run with deer. They have become carnivorous and have adapted to hunting in packs like wolves. A lone hunter can be faced with 10 to 12 deer at a time. Unless we have a high capacity magazine, we could become dinner for them and we are unable to harvest all of them at once.

Highcapacity magazines... they're for the children...:lol:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

High capacity magazines, blue-hairs and blaze orange.

I cut my Christmas Tree this afternoon, after driving around two sides of a quarter quarter and past a number of blaze orange stalkers.

I wondered if everyone venturing into the woods shouldn't be required to wear blaze orange for safety's sake.

Safety is the tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety.