• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun opponents up in arms as California AG Jerry Brown aids NRA

Old Grump

imported post

Nay, nay. don't leave unless you have other reasons to. I haven't lived there since I got out of the Navy many, many moons ago but I still keep in touch with my old friends there and belong to a California gun group. We need people to hang tough, to make their voices heard, to show up at the polls, to speak out at public hearings, to write well reasoned letters free of the vitriol that the anti-gunners use. Let other people know that they are not alone in their desire for a return of their rights and that the California regulations and laws are illegal. California needs you. Don't let the moonbeam drinkers left over from the hippie 60's and todays Hollywood brain dead win the day.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Old Grump wrote:
Nay, nay. don't leave unless you have other reasons to. I haven't lived there since I got out of the Navy many, many moons ago but I still keep in touch with my old friends there and belong to a California gun group. We need people to hang tough, to make their voices heard, to show up at the polls, to speak out at public hearings, to write well reasoned letters free of the vitriol that the anti-gunners use. Let other people know that they are not alone in their desire for a return of their rights and that the California regulations and laws are illegal. California needs you. Don't let the moonbeam drinkers left over from the hippie 60's and todays Hollywood brain dead win the day.
Dammit man, just when I was going to agree with him you had to go and appeal to my sense of morality with a sound and reasonable argument. Just call us the "Kalifornia Zombie Squad"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
Old Grump wrote:
Dammit man, just when I was going to agree with him you had to go and appeal to my sense of morality with a sound and reasonable argument. Just call us the "Kalifornia Zombie Squad"
If I were in such a position, might just have to qual as a sniper.

Yata hey

Late edit - I meant that figuratively not literally. :?

MamaLiberty

imported post

I AM old enough to remember Jerry Brown as governor of California. You trust him at your own peril. Same for the NRA, the largest and oldest gun control organization in the country.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Diesel-n-Lead,

Do your figures take into account that the same gun may be used multiple times so that the actual number of guns used to commit the crimes is less than a one-to-one?

Along the same lines, multiple victims may be riding in the same car.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead,

Do your figures take into account that the same gun may be used multiple times so that the actual number of guns used to commit the crimes is less than a one-to-one?

Along the same lines, multiple victims may be riding in the same car.
No. I was doing a simple comparison based on the "one size fits all" calculations the anti-gun lobby uses. The disparity was sufficient that I didn't go any further. You're right though, if you account for the same criminal committing multiple crimes, and likewise the same gun being used in multiple crimes it would have the net effect of lowering the percentages even further. Breaking it down even further by demographic and type of crime would likely reveal that gang violence is responsible for the lion's share of gun crimes, just as DUI's are responsible for a statistically significant percentage of fatal traffic collisions.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
Old Grump wrote:
If I were in such a position, might just have to qual as a sniper.

Yata hey

Late edit - I meant that figuratively not literally. :?
Veni Vidi Vici