• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry on a motorcycle in utah

redreed

imported post

Please allow me to make a suggestion for those less experienced who want to open carry a semi-automatic pistol on a bike without a permit. Before you get off you have to unload your weapon.

For a semi auto, that is afive step process:

1. Drop the mag (otherwise you just load the next round - duh)

2. Rack the slide to unload the round (using your cupped hand to catch the ejected round).You canuse the same hand to catch the round and rack the slide at the same time. Just be careful not to get pinched!

3. Place the ejected round in your pocket or back in the mag.

4. Verify you are unloaded.

5. Re-insert the mag.

Practice this before you do it for real.

Be advised that this little demonstration in public may garnish you some unwanted attention.

Personally I would just be unloaded (mag installed, but nothing in the pipe) all the time unless I had a CCW permit. But that is just me. You are welcome to do as you please.

Be safe friends.

redreed

imported post

Please allow me to make a suggestion for those less experienced who want to open carry a semi-automatic pistol on a bike without a permit. Before you get off you have to unload your weapon.

2. Rack the slide to unload the round (using your cupped hand to catch the ejected round).You canuse the same hand to catch the round and rack the slide at the same time. Just be careful not to get pinched!

5. Re-insert the mag.

Be advised that this little demonstration in public may garnish you some unwanted attention.

Personally I would just be unloaded (mag installed, but nothing in the pipe) all the time unless I had a CCW permit. But that is just me. You are welcome to do as you please.

Be safe friends.

redreed

imported post

5. Re-insert the mag.

Be safe friends.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Beau wrote:
What is this loaded unloaded stuff? If you can't carry one in the pipe you may as well not carry.
C'mon. If someone is carrying in Condition 3 and is properly trained, he is wayyyyyy ahead of the curve in being able to defend himself.

What basis do you have for saying that there are no benefits to C3 carry? I'd really like to know, Beau.

SGT Jensen wrote:
I know some people who prefer to carry without a round in the chamber. They feel more comfortable this way.
Condition 3 carry is fine. Millions of people across the world use it.

It's a personal choice for most of us.