• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conversation w. LBPD officer

Dr. Blofeld

imported post

Recently I spoke to a LBPD officer who related his views on open carry.

1. Open carry is respected by LBPD. The officers are fully briefed as to what is legal and do not hassle UOC.
2. Respect that UOC ers are simply exercising a valid right.
3. UOC ers are OK with rank and file officers and even brass. Indeed most officers believe crime rate would go down with Arizona /Florida style CCWs.

Interesting perspective.

The gov/t that govrens best, governs least. T. Paine

cato

imported post

Back in '08 the Long Beach Police Officers Association supported a pro 2nd Amendment amicus brief in the DC v Heller Case! Three cheers for the LBPOA!!!:)

Also today, a companion amicus brief in support of the Second Amendment was filed by twenty nine California District Attorneys, the San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association, the Long Beach Police Officers Association, and other law enforcement groups from across the country. CRPA’s attorneys assisted in writing the brief and in requesting that those district attorneys and law enforcement associations sign on.

Decoligny

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
There, I changed my name. Someone on another page here said it had already been taken.

ya i caught that so , is this just a name change? or did you get the sex change too?

mike lit? mike lavical?
It is indeed a good thing when the LEOs show respect for the Fundamental Right of self defense.

Mike Olon, Mike Idney

cato

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Good to know...we'll have to keep LB on the short list for one of our monthly meetups.

LB is a pretty big little dept (1000 officers?). They have their own academy. So you'll find many opinions and styles of policing. But all the ones I've meet seemed professional.

LB has it's very rough areas and that tends to put officers working those areas responding to "gun" calls on a high level of alert. So much is dependent on dispatchers getting all the info accurately relayed so the officers keep an open mind. Once you're ramped up,alert,and on the defensive arriving at a call sometimes it's hard to stand down from battle stations even after it is evident what the callwas really about.

It might not be a bad idea, IF you guys insist on UOCing right now:banghead::),to give them a heads up even if you are not giving the exact location/time. That way something might be mentioned at the briefings and the officers could refresh their training if needed.

I would also like to see an "Open Letter to LE" developed by usto convey the reasons self defense is important to CA gun owners and that we are not out to "get" LE in trouble via law suits. This is needed to counter certain opinions out there. I'll be giving that idea some more attention in the coming weeks.