• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Meeting

patriotthad

imported post

The Constitution Party will host an open carry meeting Dec 1st 5:00pm in West Plains at the Red Apple Grill. Speakers will include law enforcement officers ( Peace Officers) also several from the Missouri legislature have been asked to attend. Open carry of firearms is not requested or required but welcomed.;)

For information call:

Thad Wheeler 417-932-4244

brolin_1911a1

imported post

I expect to be there, Thad. I X-posted your announcement on the Missouricarry.com website and got some responses indicating people there may also plan to attend.

It was a pleasure speaking to you last night. Now all I need to do is figure which sidearm is "pretty" enough to serve as my BBQ gun for the get together. <grin>

patriotthad

imported post

Great! I hope to have a good crowd and have contacted several of our elected officials again today.I hope that either they will be able to attend or send a written statement.

imported post

Enjoyed the meeting last night. Thad, you did a great job with your presentation. I was somewhat surprised by the lack of knowledge of the CCW law by some of those that were obviously carrying concealed and you answered their questions in a great way. Or maybe they were just testing you.:)

Sorry that I had to leave before the conclusion of the meeting but had other obligations to attend to.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Indeed, a good meeting last night, Thad. I'm not as surprised, though, as the previous poster over the general lack of knowledge regarding firearms rights and carry issues in our state. Most people don't know of the resources available on the internet for factual information and don't have the time or interest to read them. As a result, they get their information from the news media and/or a friendly local cop who, as was pointed out last night, has often been misinformed himself.

A few resources that were mentioned at the meeting last night include:

<http://www.kljamisonlaw.com> Kansas City lawyer Kevin Jamison literally wrote the book on Missouri weapons laws. Specifically, he wrote Missouri Weapons Law and Self Defense published just before CCW passed in 2003. The book and updates are available on his website.

Kevin also, along with Tim Oliver of <http://www.learntocarry.com> recorded a 3-hour DVD covering the Missouri laws dealing with concealed carry and use of deadly force. It not only covers those topics but also how to deal with the police and how to chose an attorney if the unthinkable happens. The book and DVD are available from both sites. Learn to Carry also offers a downloadable .pdf file of those No Guns = No $$$ business cards you passed out at the meeting. They can be downloaded to a thumb drive and taken to you local copy center: here in West Plains I had some printed at a cost of $0.60 per two-sided sheet of ten cards.

Of course, <http://www.missouricarry.com> is a great Missouri site for firearms issues and I was glad that <http://www.handgunlaw.us> was also mentioned. One other site worth knowing about is <http://carryconcealed.net> which has a "pack 'n go" page to allow the holders of CCW permits to plan trips around which states honor one's CCW permits.

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you and perhaps something like that can be planned again. Maybe in warmer weather an open carry picnic could be organized at the White Ranch State Forest and shooting range. There's a nice picnic area just a few hundred yards from the range.

You may also find this article worth reading <http://www.mobar.org/journal/2000/marapr/jamison.htm>. In it, Kevin Jamison refers to [sup]7[/sup] City of Cape Girardeau v. Joyce, 884 S.W.2d 33 (Mo. App. E.D. 1994) at 32. when he notes:
Despite this language, the open carry bans of St. Louis and Cape Girardeau have been upheld in the Eastern District. The St. Louis ordinance was not faced with a constitutional challenge, but upheld on the facts of the case.[sup]6[/sup] While the ordinance exempted persons at their own residence, the court ruled this did not exempt guests. The Cape Girardeau ordinance faced a direct constitutional challenge. The court ruled that the city was authorized to ban open carry because § 21.750, RSMo, specifically grants such authority.[sup]7[/sup] The court did not explain how a statute allows a city to violate a constitutional provision.

patriotthad

imported post

Thanks to all who attended. We had a good sized crowd, 40+ and I feel that several questions were answered by different ones before, during and after the meeting. Lets do it again! How, bout one of you' all hosting?

imported post

The warm weather picnic sounds like a good idea but maybe it would educate more people about open carry if it were held at one of the West Plains city publicparks.

wp7pup

imported post

I wish I had known about this earlier. I hope it was a productive meeting.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

9026543 wrote:
The warm weather picnic sounds like a good idea but maybe it would educate more people about open carry if it were held at one of the West Plains city publicparks.
That pretty much means People's Park at the intersection of Porter Wagoner and Broadway. The only other suitable park, Buck's park, is so isolated no one other than attendees would know about it.