Thread: Searching for CPL-holder who was unable to defend themselves on College Campus

Post imported post

I work with an organization attempting to pass MI HB5474 and SB747, two bills that will expand the ability to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. I know that this is an open-carry site, but as it is one of the larger "carry" sites, I am posting here. I am a CPL-holder and I am not a paid lobbyist. HB5474 extends state firearms preemption to college campuses, forbidding them from passing ordinances that ban firearms. SB747 removes dorms and classrooms from Pistol Free Zones.

I am looking for someone who is willing to testify at a hearing at both/one of the house/senate hearings in support of these bills. Ideally, this person was the victim of a crime while on a college campus that could have been prevented if the victim was carrying their firearm. The victim was a CPL-holder at the time of the crime, and has a habit of normally carrying their firearm. Extensive familiarity with firearms is not necessary - the idea here is to show that CPLs protect those who are otherwise vulnerable on a college campus.

Additionally, a CPL-holder who was unfairly criminalized as a result of unknowingly carrying on a college campus would also help. This witness is a law-abiding citizen who unknowingly strayed onto a college campus and was penalized by the institution for carrying a concealed firearm. This does not need to be a student.

Again, I understand that this is an open carry forum but as it is a unique request, I am trying to put out as many feelers as I can. Please pass this on to your friends.

If you, or someone you know, fits this bill, please contact me at MichiganCCW@hotmail.com.

Post imported post

I don't have what you're looking for, but I want to sincerely wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

I would be extremely happy to know that campuses were made safer because of these bills.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

I sincerely wish you and your organization the best of luck.

I too, am a college student, disarmed by campus carry laws.

And I, like most people, don't want to end up dead at the hands of some psychopath on a rampage.

-Richard-

Post imported post

CollegeCCW wrote:
    I know that this is an open-carry site, but as it is one of the larger "carry" sites, I am posting here.
    You should also post at http://www.migunowners.org. The forum "Concealed Carry Discussion" might be most appropriate.

You might want to also contact someone at www.mcrgo.org

Those are other well-known Michigan gun advocate websites. Good luck! Come back on here and keep us updated on this.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Done and done. Thanks for the tips.

I've also contacted NRA, etc, and sent out requests to anyone else I know. You guys can help me by just spreading the word that we're looking for someone like this. Eventually, if everyone does that, we'll find them.

Thanks for the time and help.