• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surviving an Economic Collapse: A Perspective from one who went through it in Argentina

demnogis

imported post

Current events have me thinking about the story this man shared, over and over again.

We're starting to see parallels arise in our own socio-economic environment. I believe that IF our system collapses, when that happens, there will still be people (like some of us) who will retain a semblance of desire to keep our constitutional republic in place.

Nothing in the constitution and BoR says a Federal government is essential to the function of the nation, it is only a union of the states, and the states of the people. We would see a lot of people, military, police, etc try to keep lawlessness in check. Things would go bad but I believe it would stabilize.

Also, yes, people (especially those of us in cities) will still need to barter and trade. Trade what you have/can do for what you need. Those of you in the country are near-self sufficient. But you're also secluded should you need help.

If anything can be taken from that person's shared story, it's to prepare, train, store and prepare some more. Better to have said preparations and not need them, then vice versa.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i just spent over an hour reading it all and taking everything in.

i noticed that i am more than prepared to survive the wilderness,but only have a few days worth of water and non refrigerated food in stock as of now.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
For those who've referenced James Rawles book "Patriots", he has another version of that book written as non-fiction and without the storyline titled "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know it".
Im listing to Patriots audiobook, I really like it so far Ill check out the other thanks

MedicineMan

imported post

Sounds like FERFAL again......

He's like HERPES..... once he gets into the internet, there's no cure.

Before you beat him on the back for his "heroic and outstanding survival instincts", You need to know some things about this story.

1) This is a rich kid whose parents could have sent a "team" of security to "extract" him at any moment. All he had to do is say "daddy please".
Situations are a LITTLE easier to handle when you have the option to "opt out" at any time you choose.

2) He was a little better set up than most people.
Money does that for you.

3) He was in the "good part of town" the whole time.

Ya know how your brother-in-law's fish he caught gets bigger every year???
This guys "ordeal" gets worse and worse to bear every time he has the opportunity to "awe" another group of survival noobs.
(sorry, I meant "preppers" <puke> I forgot survivalists are BAA-AAD now)

I think I'll trust FEMA for accurate survival advice before ferfal.

Not cause I am jealous of money or his fame, it's just the overblown theatrics that I (and many many more) got tired of.
He's a CLOWN.

cscitney87

imported post

The Country isn't governments and businesses. It's not going to dissolve or fall apart. We are America. The Union may dissolve or shrink- just as it's grown- that's fine. Brighten up! When the Federal Government fails- you'll see more 10th Amendment State's Rights actions. States are good to go-

The States have known the Federal Government is dragging it down, weighing it down, slowing it down, and hindering success since the conception of America. Federalists and Anti-Federalists.

It's taken this long to go through the motions- to Prove that the Federal Government is less effective than local governance and action.

Unfortunately I find Colorado's current Governor drinking from the Federal glass and I just don't like it. I didn't vote for him...

Does anybody know about the "10 Governors" and 10 Zones for Emergency situations? The President selects 10 Governors to coordinate efforts of the entire country during emergencies.
1 Source: http://www.wvwnews.net/story.php?id=8560

leifglock

imported post

In the early stages of a collapse, when times are tense and food is scarce, gold/silver will have very little value. However, when things stabilize and a "recovery" begins precious metals will almost certainly emerge as the leading currency. They have for thousands of years and they will again. So, I contend you need to make preparations to survive the collapse and to poise yourself for success in the recovery.

Note, I use the term "recovery" very loosely.

On a side note; also check out the book "One Second After." I didn't like it as much as "Patriots". Perhaps because it paints even a grimmer picture. But that book contends outbreak of disease would be the biggest killer, as seems to be a theme in this thread.

davenkelley

imported post

I am new to reloading .....just finished buying the basic reloading materials. Curious to how you get that much lead? all for one type of ammo? where would you consider buying powder in bulk and ....the blasting caps. Any advice would be appreciated- have a family with 5 little ones to protect. (will be training them on small guns very soon!) Thanks~!

davenkelley

imported post

I have honed in my medicinal herbal skills this past few years and I have to say it really works. I have 5 little ones and use only natural herbal tinctures for 99.9% of our illnesses. I suggest getting ahold of some good books and have fun getting and staying healthy naturally.