• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I on Trespassing Notice?

EM87

imported post

Quick back story:

I was at an establishment a while back at which I could not legally conceal. I was asked to put it in the car. Instead I chose to leave. The manager's words were something like, "You have to put it in your car or I can ask you to leave."

Am I on notice for possible trespass if I OC there again?

(Please no comments on how I shouldn't support that business. I am going to write to the owner to clarify their carry policy, but until I do, I will occasionally go there to meet with friends.)

WARCHILD

imported post

Yes, you are on notice. Once you have been told by the business owner, or his agent that OC is not allowed you must comply with it or face possible trespass charge.

EM87

imported post

I wasn't told that it wasn't allowed though - just that she was uncomfortable with it and she wanted me to lock it up. It was the opinion of the manager, not of the owner.

Same thing, you say?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I wasn't told that it wasn't allowed though - just that she was uncomfortable with it and she wanted me to lock it up. It was the opinion of the manager, not of the owner.

Same thing, you say?
If you know who the owner is, speak with him or her in person about their policy, unarmed of course. If you don't know, get a name, email, phone number, etc, and go from there.

EM87

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
If you know who the owner is, speak with him or her in person about their policy, unarmed of course.  If you don't know, get a name, email, phone number, etc, and go from there.

I'm in the process of getting in contact with the owner. I'm just bummed that I can't carry there for now.

My friends meet there every week, and I feel like I don't want to go hang out with them because of having to leave the Glock in the car. :(

Hopefully the owner will be on our side.

Do businesses have to post their finances anywhere? Could I look up the % of alcohol sold?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
If you know who the owner is, speak with him or her in person about their policy, unarmed of course. If you don't know, get a name, email, phone number, etc, and go from there.

I'm in the process of getting in contact with the owner. I'm just bummed that I can't carry there for now.

My friends meet there every week, and I feel like I don't want to go hang out with them because of having to leave the Glock in the car. :(

Hopefully the owner will be on our side.

Do businesses have to post their finances anywhere? Could I look up the % of alcohol sold?
EM87, PM some of us with pertinent info (business name, address, etc) so we can help you out.

autosurgeon

imported post

Hmmm I recall an issue with them in the past... at least a year ago if I recall correctly. If I remeber right the owner at that time was against OC... but let us know what you find out.. AFAIK they own the one in Paw Paw too... I have Oced there one time and nothing was said.... but they were very slow and happy for my business... 7 of us showed up an had the place to ourselves. I was the only one OC though.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
In reply to Springer, I'll just post it here.

Gallagher's Eatery
4210 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI

I am leaving now to meet with friends there, disarmed once I arrive.

Here's the link to the original thread, in which I describe what happened that night:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/27552.html
Personally, I don't consider an establishment such as this place a CPZ. I highly doubt they receive 51% in alcohol sales. I've been ask my opinion on this exact situation by LEO's who really didn't know if a person could CC in one of these places. I know it's a "Sports Bar" but even their website mentions they are a family dinning eatery.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
They sell a ton of food when they are busy ... they really are no diff than TGI Fridays

I honestly don't know if I'd OC in one of these places or not, but I wouldn't hesitate to CC. Applebee's, TGIF's, Etc, are all the same to me-I would CC in all of them without concern.

Edit: Spelling

conservative85

imported post

I open carry in Apple bee's alot, also been in Outback, Don Pablo's, and Ruby Tuesday, Oh and hooters.

EM87

imported post

The eatery and the pub are under the same roof, connected, so I don't worry about being in the bar portion CCing if they don't make most of their money from alcohol. That being said, I still can't be sure that it's safe to CC there. When I'm there it's always in the bar in the evening, and it looks like they sell a lot of alcohol. I don't know how the restaurant side does, because I'm never there.

I suppose an email to the owner is the best I can do.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
The eatery and the pub are under the same roof, connected, so I don't worry about being in the bar portion CCing if they don't make most of their money from alcohol. That being said, I still can't be sure that it's safe to CC there. When I'm there it's always in the bar in the evening, and it looks like they sell a lot of alcohol. I don't know how the restaurant side does, because I'm never there.

I suppose an email to the owner is the best I can do.
In Michigan, it's legal for you to sit at the bar, as long as, as you say, they don't make most of their money from alcohol. Sitting at/in the bar area it would be nearly impossible for you to determine how busy they are in serving food. I'd bet a box of ammo that places largest source of income is from food.

EM87

imported post

I should have a contact email in the next couple of days.

Until then, are there any basic outlines of letters that have been sent in the past?

EM87

imported post

I have the contact info for the establishment and will be writing them soon.

I ask again - is there a basic layout for this letter, or should I start from scratch? It's not that I'm asking because I want to copy/paste a letter - it's because I know that there are certain topics that should be covered in a letter like this, and I just don't want to miss any. I will be writing my own words, but just want some guidance.