• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No-weapons sign at Whatcom County Bldg

Richard6218

imported post

It was nearly a year ago that I had an exchange of letters and a face-to-face meeting with the County Executive about the sign painted on the entry doors at the County Building at 311 Main Street. This was prompted when I had to check my OCweapon and was asked for a CPL. The sign said "No weapons permitted" and cited RCW 9.41.300. I took exception to this and thought I had persuaded the County Exec. that there is a difference between OC and CC, and he even acknowledged that I was right. I was asking him to do two things: (1) instruct the screeners not to ask for CPL for OC weapons, and (2) change the sign on the front door.

This morning I went thereto (what else?) renew my CPL, and noted the sign on the door had NOT been changed! I was so sure they would do this that I never followed up. I don't know if the screeners are still asking for CPL because I wasn't going to the courts part of the bldg.

None of this ever comes easy ......

Capn Camo

imported post

This was prompted when I had to check my OCweapon and was asked for a CPL.

[[Theres no legal authority for demanding a CPL for OC, its not in RCW. Theres that deliberate lie sponsored by the Media, that you have to have a permit for ANY carry.]]

The sign said "No weapons permitted" and cited RCW 9.41.300.

[[ Only in "restricted areas. The public areas are not restricted except for corridors immediately around a courtroom. Depends on the lay of the building and where youre going. They cannot prohibit you from carrying in non-restricted areas, no such restriction exists in RCW and they cannot invent it.]]

I took exception to this and thought I had persuaded the County Exec. that there is a difference between OC and CC, and he even acknowledged that I was right. I was asking him to do two things: (1) instruct the screeners not to ask for CPL for OC weapons, and (2) change the sign on the front door.

[[When they ask to see a CPL for OC, tell them NO. Very simple. They have no authority under RCW to act.]]

This morning I went thereto (what else?) renew my CPL, and noted the sign on the door had NOT been changed! I was so sure they would do this that I never followed up.

[[Dont you just hate being lied to?]]

Richard6218

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Whatcom county courts? They don't ask me anymore, I leave it in the car on purpose. I didn't see the no weapons sign though.

It's stenciled on the glass doors at both entrances to the bldg. and includes a revolver and knife with a red circle/slash.

I never would have seen it today if I hadn't had to go to the ATM in the first floor hallway for cash to pay for my CPL renewal.

Richard6218

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
[[When they ask to see a CPL for OC, tell them NO. Very simple. They have no authority under RCW to act.]]
I wasn't about to argue with the soldier --- she was just following orders.Arguing with those folks isjust inviting a big hassle.The general's office was just down the hall, so I went there, discussed it with him and followed that up with a letter. I had a phone discussion with him a few days later and he left me with the impression that all was well and my request would be fulfilled. Yeah, I hate being lied to but I didn't even know that until now, a year later (My letter was dated 11/18/08).
*(Edited to insert letter date)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

IMG00196-1.jpg
[/img]

Heres the sign, but it also mentions they provide lock boxes.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:
well, is it a courthouse or not? if it is not, you can legally carry there, right? So do so.

It has several courthouses in there, they provide lockboxes and have been pretty well trained on the use of them, now.;)Although all the courthouses are on the 3rd and 4th floor. Which means you have to pretty much pass the security check point for any other county business you have there, even if its on the first floor.

They only have 4 lockboxesthough wonder what they would do if 5 gun holders came in.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mike wrote:
well, is it a courthouse or not? if it is not, you can legally carry there, right? So do so.

It has several courthouses in there, they provide lockboxes and have been pretty well trained on the use of them, now.;)Although all the courthouses are on the 3rd and 4th floor. Which means you have to pretty much pass the security check point for any other county business you have there, even if its on the first floor.

They only have 4 lockboxesthough wonder what they would do if 5 gun holders came in.
OK, so ts a courthosue then, forget carrying there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:
Mike wrote:

OK, so ts a courthosue then, forget carrying there.
Yep, but I use the lock boxes provided frequently. I think Richard might have missed the wording about the lockboxes.

amzbrady

imported post

Are the lockboxes outside? I think I would wind up standing at the door wondering how to get my weapon unholstered, not in my possesion to the lock boxes.