• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tomorrow, Tuesday 11/24/2009! Riv Co. Supervisors Meeting!

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=243211

chief003 said:
Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone is proposing the following as good cause for issuance of CCW permits in Riverside County:

"With the State of California authorization for early release of up to 27,000 prisoners, a uniform policy for certification and issuance of a Concealed Weapon Permit should include the reason of "personal defense", in compliance with the State of California's "good cause" law, as a reason to carry a concealed weapon in Riverside County."

This is on Tuesday 11/24/2009 Riverside County’s Board of Supervisor’s agenda, item number 3.128 under the Policy Section. Members of public are allowed to speak for 3 minutes on any item appearing on the board’s agenda.

Here is the link to this item:
http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/agendas/2009/11_24_2009/03.128.pdf

Chief

coolusername2007

imported post

I wonder how much the open carry movement helped persuade Jeff to come to the table. He's seeking higher office...state senate...our state rep has termed out (he was previously a Temecula city counsel member and mayor-pro-tem).

ETA: Not enough notice to be there tomorrow...work. By the way, even though I personally have no interest in concealed carry, if I could have attended I would have spoken in favor of it for those who do prefer this method of carry.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

That's the thing, I keep being told by people older than me that CCW permits are good for loaded open carry as well, as long as they do not prohibit it on the license.

So if you want to LOC, support this.

coolusername2007

imported post

Don't know anything about that. I thought LOC permits were separate and different, but also that nobody has ever been issued a LOC permit. Again, don't know, just commenting.

I fully support CCW for any and all who choose this method of carry, but not at the expense of open carry.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Don't know anything about that. I thought LOC permits were separate and different, but also that nobody has ever been issued a LOC permit. Again, don't know, just commenting.

I fully support CCW for any and all who choose this method of carry, but not at the expense of open carry.
CA_Libertarian wrote:
You're actually correct here [N6ATF]. 12031(b)(3) exempts CCW holders:

Code:
(6) The carrying of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person by persons who are authorized to carry those weapons pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.
However, as ConditionThree can attest, the issuing authority may decide to pull your permit if you do anything they don't like.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
That's the thing, I keep being told by people older than me that CCW permits are good for loaded open carry as well, as long as they do not prohibit it on the license.

So if you want to LOC, support this.
You're actually correct here. 12031(b)(3) exempts CCW holders:

Code:
(6) The carrying of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person by persons who are authorized to carry those weapons pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.
However, as ConditionThree can attest, the issuing authority may decide to pull your permit if you do anything they don't like.

mjones

imported post

I've been known to LOC in both incorporated and Gun Free School Zones with the intention of using the 12050 exemption if anything goes heinously wrong. I've also got 50 grand set aside for a defense if I ever need it.

I am ready and willing to be a testcase for this.

But, In general I have beenhonoring the CalGuns standown call on OC. If/When we get Shall Issue CCW in California, I'll proudly be a testcase.

coolusername2007

imported post

mjones wrote:
I've been known to LOC in both incorporated and Gun Free School Zones with the intention of using the 12050 exemption if anything goes heinously wrong. I've also got 50 grand set aside for a defense if I ever need it.

But, In general I have beenhonoring the CalGuns standown call on OC. If/When we get Shall Issue CCW in California, I'll proudly be a testcase.
Be a test-case if you want. But do it after incorporation.

mjones

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
mjones wrote:

Be a test-case if you want. But do it after incorporation.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Any updates to this county supervisor's meeting? Did anyone attend and/or speak?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=243861

1923mack said:
Good news. Riverside County Supervisors approved Resolution #2009-348. This resolution suggests to Sheriff Sniff that personal defense be a good reason for issuance of CCW's in Riverside County. Measure was approved 3/1. I wish that I could say it was approved because of good work by Calguns, CRPA or other pro CCW organizations, but I cannot. We had only 4 speakers in favor of the Resolution (and none against). The main reason it passsed was because of Chairman Stone. He initiated the Resolution, spoke well about it and convinced (behind closed doors I asume) his fellow Supervisors to support it. A positive step for Riverside county, but not the best showing of support by Riverside CCW'ers.

chewy352

imported post

Congrats to riverside county.

Unfortunately for my my father just moved out of Temecula where I always maintained a residence with him. No CCW for me. :(

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
Any updates to this county supervisor's meeting? Did anyone attend and/or speak?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=243861

1923mack wrote:
Good news. Riverside County Supervisors approved Resolution #2009-348. This resolution suggests to Sheriff Sniff that personal defense be a good reason for issuance of CCW's in Riverside County. Measure was approved 3/1. I wish that I could say it was approved because of good work by Calguns, CRPA or other pro CCW organizations, but I cannot. We had only 4 speakers in favor of the Resolution (and none against). The main reason it passsed was because of Chairman Stone. He initiated the Resolution, spoke well about it and convinced (behind closed doors I asume) his fellow Supervisors to support it. A positive step for Riverside county, but not the best showing of support by Riverside CCW'ers.

Good news to hear that some of our supervisors are willing put forth a pro-CCW resolution.

But does this resolution have a binding effect on the sheriff to issue for "personal defense"? Or is this just a "suggestion"?

cato

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
But does this resolution have a binding effect on the sheriff to issue for "personal defense"? Or is this just a "suggestion"?

Its just a "suggestion".

coolusername2007

imported post

Sounds like an organized effort to call Sheriff Sniff on this very subject is in order. He will be running for election (his first since he was originally appointed) and needs to know what his constituents expect, as well as determining what we can expect from him.

cato

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Sounds like an organized effort to call Sheriff Sniff on this very subject is in order. He will be running for election (his first since he was originally appointed) and needs to know what his constituents expect, as well as determining what we can expect from him.

As much as I personallydisapprove ofsome of thoseat CalCCW.com, I would follow their lead on any 12050 issues. Might want to check in over there and see if anything for Riverside is being organized. Orange Co. has their attention right now but I'm sure they have people in Riverside and since this vote came up I suspect more to come out of the woodwork. It's all good in my book.

But them getting Butchins for Sheriffwas karma big time. :uhoh:

chewy352

imported post

demnogis wrote:
If this truly means that RVSD will recognize "self defense" as good cause on a CCW application, I may just have to move back in with the parents for a bit.
Do you need a roommate? I'll pay a bill. lol