• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Gallagher's Eatery in Kalamazoo

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
I've been discussing OC with people in a way which I feel deflects the focus on open carrying. Something to the affect of:

The reason you've most likely never had to deal with issues about people carrying is because the average customer who carry would conceal it and most likely you've had hundreds of customers carrying without you even knowing about it. Open carry is just another choice in the method of carrying an item for self protection. The average person doesn't even notice people carrying and if they do as long as that person is acting responsible just like anything they go on with what they are doing. If by chance someone were to have a problem with it's best to handle it on a case by case basis rather then all out ban a whole segment of customers from your store because of a small few customers who may complain. What do you guys think?
Excellent points. I would definitely include them in the letter.

The main thing is to express your point without coming across threatening or like you are bashing his decision. I hope you get back a better response from him this time around. I'd just send it off and see what happens. Then go from there.

EM87

imported post

Okay, I think this may be the final draft. What do you all think?

Paul,

Thank you for your response. I understand that some people are not comfortable with open carry since it is not something one sees every day. That is part of the reason I open carry – to educate and desensitize the public to seeing a lawfully carried firearm.

As for your decision to ban firearms, please consider the attached list of businesses that allow all legal forms of firearm carry. These businesses, both big and small, recognize that a significant percentage of their customer base is pro-gun and do not want to lose them. They have not experienced any negative impact due to allowing firearms in their businesses. In fact, the upside is increased sales.

If Gallagher’s as a whole (not just the bar side) does not make the majority of its income through alcohol sales, it is legal for a licensed person to conceal in the establishment (MCL 28.425o(1)(d)). Does Gallagher’s make the majority of its income through alcohol sales? To be safe, I chose to open carry in what I thought may have been a bar, whereas others might see Gallagher’s as a restaurant and have no problem concealing a legally carried firearm.

That being said, it is likely that you've had hundreds of customers carrying without you or any employees even knowing about it. Also, it has been my experience that the average person does not even notice a person carrying openly, and if they do, as long as that person is acting responsibly, it has been my experience that the person will continue what they were doing with no negative reaction.

If you feel uncomfortable with a certain person, you could deal with them on a case-by-case basis instead of banning all firearms in your establishment. Banning all law-abiding Concealed Pistol License holders is just plain bad for business.

One thing I must mention, as it is only fair of me to do so, is that any establishment known to have a “No Firearms” rule is put on a “Do Not Patronize” list on multiple websites and is viewed by thousands of pro-gun citizens in Michigan.

I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss this issue further. You have much to gain but little to lose by allowing the lawful carry of firearms at Gallagher’s.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[EM87]

office888

imported post

I suddenly have an urge to write Gallagher's.

"Dear Sir:

I have recently been informed of your restaurant's anti-defense policy.

I just would like to inform you that I will gladly be redirecting myself, my family, and my friends elsewhere, to a restaurant that respects OUR life and OUR right to self-defense.

Thank You.

Sincerely,
Richard

PS:
Please be sure to place this sign in your front window:
CRIMINALS WELCOME!
DISARMED CITIZENS INSIDE"

Okay, the PS part is a bit of a joke, but sadly true, eh? Stuff like this makes my blood boil...

-Richard-

EM87

imported post

Here's the newly revised letter, with some things changed, per Venator's suggestions. I will send this out today if it looks good.

Paul,

Thank you for your response. I understand that some people are not comfortable with open carry since it is not something one sees every day. That is part of the reason I open carry – to educate and desensitize the public to seeing a lawfully carried firearm.

As for your decision to ban firearms, please consider the attached list of businesses that allow all legal forms of firearm carry. These businesses, both big and small, recognize that a significant percentage of their customer base is pro-gun and do not want to lose them. They have not experienced any negative impact due to allowing firearms in their businesses. In fact, the upside is increased sales.

For example, the Theo & Stacy’s Restaurants in Kalamazoo are open carry friendly, and because of it they get a lot more business from myself and other pro-gun patrons in the area. They have not had anyone freak out and/or leave because they saw a gun on a law-abiding citizen.

It has been my experience that the average person does not even notice a person carrying openly, and if they do, as long as that person is acting responsibly, it has been my experience that the person will continue what they were doing with no negative reaction.

If you feel uncomfortable with a certain person, you could deal with it on a case-by-case basis instead of banning all firearms in your establishment. Banning all law-abiding Concealed Pistol License holders is just plain bad for business.

One thing I must mention, as it is only fair of me to do so, is that any establishment known to have a “No Firearms” rule is put on a “Do Not Patronize” list on multiple websites and is viewed by thousands of pro-gun citizens in Michigan.

I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss this issue further. You have much to gain but little to lose by allowing the lawful carry of firearms at Gallagher’s.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[EM87]

EM87

imported post

Mikestilly - I took your earlier comments into consideration but decided against the CC argument at this point in time. As Venator said to me, (paraphrased) "Keep it short and focus on OC - the rest will come." Hopefully this letter will bring about positive change.

JamesIan

imported post

Also you havepreviously gone to some lengths to explain that you could not CC in the establishment. To bring up the CC argument now would only serve to confuse and would require a lenghty explanation of our convoluted law as it regards what is a bar and what is not. A quagmire at best.

EM87

imported post

JamesIan wrote:
Also you have previously gone to some lengths to explain that you could not CC in the establishment.  To bring up the CC argument now would only serve to confuse and would require a lenghty explanation of our convoluted law as it regards what is a bar and what is not.  A quagmire at best.

I assume that Venator thought the same, which is why I've removed those parts. I think it's more concise now. Just waiting for a few people to collectively okay it before I send it out.

And oh, welcome to the forum!

mikestilly

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Mikestilly - I took your earlier comments into consideration but decided against the CC argument at this point in time. As Venator said to me, (paraphrased) "Keep it short and focus on OC - the rest will come." Hopefully this letter will bring about positive change.
No problem it was just a suggestion :) Overall it looks good to me.