• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th Monthly Meetup

coolusername2007

imported post

4th Monthly Meetup - LOC Event

Palm Springs location

Sat. Dec 12th

High Noon

Shoot - BBQ - Pack Lunch - Family Event

Original Message: I've been thinking a lot about our 4th Monthly meetup and all the talk about folks deciding to stand down and all that. In light of these discussions and the fact that this will be the last meetup for the year,I would like to take a slightly different approach.

For our 4th Monthly Meetup, I would like to organize a LOC event. Yeah, that's right, let's step it up a notch shall we.

LOC is legal in unincorporated areas of a county where shooting is not illegal. Yes, in these parts there's nobody around for miles (which is why calguns and other "right people don't object - for themits all about silence and secrecy). But IMO, I think this event should be for us. And, yes the drive won't be convenient for anyone.

Further, all the stand down people should have no problems with attending this meetup since it is "sanctioned" by the "right people" at calguns. This would give us a much needed opportunity to meet and greet all the other open carriers who wouldn't otherwise attend.

The idea is to havea BBQ or cookout, get together, fellowship, etc. Maybe we'll get lucky and bag a few rabbits and cook and eat 'em right there.

Feel free to comment and submit your location suggestions.

chewy352

imported post

Kern county is a possibility. Up near Ridgecrest there are a couple of places i have shot at plenty of times. I however do not know of their county codes. Ridgecrest is about 2.5 hours north of Temecula on HWY 395.

wewd

imported post

I have an idea for a spot in Riverside County, just a couple miles west of Palm Springs. There is a spot just off Highway 111 that used to be an old shotgun range. It's on BLM land, and is in the Eastern Zone in Riverside County, so discharging firearms is not forbidden as long as you are 300 yards from any structure or road, or 1 mile from city limits (Riv. county ord.).

The location meets that criteria and people regularly shoot there, but the spot is nearly unknown except to the locals. You can see it on Google Maps here. Someone is maintaining the shooting site as trash and junk people bring out gets cleaned up every so often.

That's the only site I know of close to civilization. But by all means we should have some more suggestions if people have them.

demnogis

imported post

I'm liking the idea of Riverside county. The one stop i had there ended on a good note. Try to find a NF area in Riverside county. A day hike & bbq would be fun.

wewd wrote:
I have an idea for a spot in Riverside County, just a couple miles west of Palm Springs. There is a spot just off Highway 111 that used to be an old shotgun range. It's on BLM land, and is in the Eastern Zone in Riverside County, so discharging firearms is not forbidden as long as you are 300 yards from any structure or road, or 1 mile from city limits (Riv. county ord.).

The location meets that criteria and people regularly shoot there, but the spot is nearly unknown except to the locals. You can see it on Google Maps here. Someone is maintaining the shooting site as trash and junk people bring out gets cleaned up every so often.

That's the only site I know of close to civilization. But by all means we should have some more suggestions if people have them.

coolusername2007

imported post

demnogis wrote:
First we have to find some BLM land in a non-prohobited county. Orange, LA, and san bernadino have discharge prohibitions.

Another option would be NF land, and we scrap the BBQ for packed in lunch. I have no problems carrying in KFC, El Pollo Loco, Chewy's BBQ, etc. :lol: Just another part of the same idea. Comments?

For all you stand down folks, would you attend this LOC event?

chewy352

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
First we have to find some BLM land in a non-prohobited county. Orange, LA, and san bernadino have discharge prohibitions.

Another option would be NF land, and we scrap the BBQ for packed in lunch. I have no problems carrying in KFC, El Pollo Loco, Chewy's BBQ, etc. :lol: Just another part of the same idea. Comments?

What is NF land? I'm guessing national forest?

Chewy's BBQ? I don't even like my on BBQ!

cato

imported post

There are populated areas where LOC is lawful. Have a dinner at one of those places. Try to mix up the demographics if possible. Frazier Park Ca.SHOULD be good to go LOC. Do some research. After all People vs Knight happened on a KernCo. road :lol:.

art work by Oleg Volk:

wewd

imported post

Frazier Park is an interesting idea. I decided to look up the fabled Kern County code to see what in fact they had to say about discharging firearms. Here's what I found:

Chapter 9.20 WEAPONS
Sections:
9.20.010 Discharging BB or other projectile device in grossly negligent manner--Punishment--Definitions--Firearms.
9.20.030 Public parks.

9.20.010 Discharging BB or other projectile device in grossly negligent manner--Punishment--Definitions--Firearms.
A. Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who willfully or with gross negligence discharges or uses a BB device, bow and arrow device, slingshot or other instrument commonly used or which may be used for propelling or throwing any shot, arrow, rock or other missile in a grossly negligent manner which could result in injury to any person or property is guilty of an infraction and shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars ($50.00).
B. For purposes of this chapter, the term "BB device" means any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun.
C. Discharge of firearms or other dangerous weapons shall continue to be governed by and enforced under state and federal law.
(Ord. G-6756 § 3, 2001)

9.20.030 Public parks.
It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, BB device, bow and arrow device, slingshot or other instrument commonly used or which may be used for propelling or throwing any shot, arrow, rock or other missile within or upon the land or water area within the territorial limits of any public or recreational area owned, maintained or operated by the county, except in an area designated for that purpose after approval by the sheriff and the director of parks.
(Ord. G-6756 § 4, 2001)

They say more about BB guns than firearms. Funny. No loaded carry in county-owned parks, it looks like.

cato, what's the breakdown of People v. Knight? I can't seem to come up with the correct case through Google search.

coolusername2007

imported post

Frazier Park will likely be too cold...they are at elevation and it will be December (they get a lot of snow).Heavy coats = likely concealed = don't pass go, don't collect $200, go straight to JAIL.

coolusername2007

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Yes, national forest. Oh, I didn't tell you...we're now calling you Cookie. :cool: Don't screw it up! LOL

chewy352

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Yes, national forest. Oh, I didn't tell you...we're now calling you Cookie. :cool: Don't screw it up! LOL
Whhhaaaatttttt? Why? lol :(

coolusername2007

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Whhhaaaatttttt? Why? lol :(
Try to keep up...Chewy's is a BBQ restaurant...not your kitchen...Cookie is the old western term for chef...are you with me now? :cool:

leoffensive

imported post

well if this meet up is planned a few hours north or east of san diego, anyone in the area interested in carpooling? i would prefer not to drive. ill throw in money for gas otherwise id ask for gas money due to gas prices and the fact i drive a large gas hog haha

demnogis

imported post

Well I live in the middle of Orange County, if you can make it this far we could carpool.

leoffensive wrote:
well if this meet up is planned a few hours north or east of san diego, anyone in the area interested in carpooling? i would prefer not to drive. ill throw in money for gas otherwise id ask for gas money due to gas prices and the fact i drive a large gas hog haha