• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th Monthly Meetup

leoffensive

imported post

demnogis wrote:
Well I live in the middle of Orange County, if you can make it this far we could carpool.

leoffensive wrote:
well if this meet up is planned a few hours north or east of san diego, anyone in the area interested in carpooling? i would prefer not to drive. ill throw in money for gas otherwise id ask for gas money due to gas prices and the fact i drive a large gas hog haha

definite possibility

coolusername2007

imported post

Does anyone else have other location options or suggestions? So far, we've had Frazier Park, a location near Palm Springs, Kern county, and NF land in Riverside county.

Personally, I like the Palm Springs location, but am open to comments.

demnogis

imported post

Only issues i have with palm springs/palm desert is that its in BFE... Incredibly long drive for some, ridiculously long drive for the rest. Might as well organize an event in Joshua Tree or Yucca Valley. Someplace central to SoCal would be ideal seeing the geography of those interested. Riverside county may be best imho.

coolusername2007 wrote:
Does anyone else have other location options or suggestions?  So far, we've had Frazier Park, a location near Palm Springs, Kern county, and NF land in Riverside county.

Gundude

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Does anyone else have other location options or suggestions? So far, we've had Frazier Park, a location near Palm Springs, Kern county, and NF land in Riverside county.

Hey cool, I was googleing around your area and saw an area west of 1st street and I 15. Dunno if its private property or a park of some sort. Your area would be good as it's sorta in between San Diego and the LA area. Just another suggestion.

wewd

imported post

There are not too many places close to "civilization" where one can shoot/LOC. Any place we go would be a drive for most of us. Frazier Park, which is in Kern Co. is 120 miles one way for me. Palm Springs is 50 miles. If there were a place more central to everyone that would be great, but I don't expect we will find one.

National Forests around here pretty much all ban target shooting outside of designated spots, so unless you have a valid hunting permit, LOC may be a legal gray area. 12031 kicks in wherever discharging a firearm is forbidden, but you can still discharge a firearm there, only while hunting. I still need to research that further.

chewy352

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
well if this meet up is planned a few hours north or east of san diego, anyone in the area interested in carpooling? i would prefer not to drive. ill throw in money for gas otherwise id ask for gas money due to gas prices and the fact i drive a large gas hog haha

I'm in Kearny Mesa/San Diego and will definitely be attending. However I will have the wife and 2yo so I have room for just one to carpool.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I got stuck in Mojave last summer when the truck was stuck in the sand. . . CHP officer told us all Mojave is open range as long as you observe the occupied dwelling rules. . .

Never checked to verify, but it is an option and not too far away, all things considered.

mjones

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I got stuck in Mojave last summer when the truck was stuck in the sand. . . CHP officer told us all Mojave is open range as long as you observe the occupied dwelling rules. . .

Never checked to verify, but it is an option and not too far away, all things considered.
Be careful about LOC out in the Mojave area...you can easily be in an incorporated city and not know it. California City is the largest city in the state of CA at over 200 square miles. It lies northeast of Mojave.

leoffensive

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
leoffensive wrote:

I'm in Kearny Mesa/San Diego and will definitely be attending. However I will have the wife and 2yo so I have room for just one to carpool.

i have no problem riding with the wife and kid. And ill be more than happy to contribute gas money. Just give me a time and place to meet ya and how much money youd like me to bring

chewy352

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
leoffensive wrote:

i have no problem riding with the wife and kid. And ill be more than happy to contribute gas money. Just give me a time and place to meet ya and how much money youd like me to bring
Ok I'll let you know when the plans get made.

leoffensive

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
leoffensive wrote:

Ok I'll let you know when the plans get made.
awesome! would you like my email or cell phone number to easier contact me?

wewd

imported post

If we are not going to get any more suggestions for possible places, then we need to decide where to have it. Any place we pick will not be as convenient to travel to as the previous meetups simply due to the nature of what we are trying to do this time. There aren't many public places near to most of us where LOC (and by extension, shooting) is legal. It's gonna be a drive one way or another. We could always have an LOC BBQ in someone's back yard, but that's not as much fun (no shooting).

I like Demnogis's idea of a day hike, but we haven't had any suggestions as to where. It would have to be on BLM or NF land where shooting is not prohibited, otherwise we could not LOC and then there would be no point. 12031 kicks in wherever shooting is prohibited. If we don't want to hike, then some place like the Palm Springs spot is where we will have to go.

A tentative date would be Dec. 12th, more likely the 19th. The only problem with scheduling meetings like this during the wintertime is the weather may not cooperate. It might rain, it might be cold, you never know.

We had hoped by this time to have a solid core group of UOCers for the monthly meets that could be counted on to show up and help plan things but that hasn't materialized yet.

chewy352

imported post

wewd wrote:
If we are not going to get any more suggestions for possible places, then we need to decide where to have it. Any place we pick will not be as convenient to travel to as the previous meetups simply due to the nature of what we are trying to do this time. There aren't many public places near to most of us where LOC (and by extension, shooting) is legal. It's gonna be a drive one way or another. We could always have an LOC BBQ in someone's back yard, but that's not as much fun (no shooting).

I like Demnogis's idea of a day hike, but we haven't had any suggestions as to where. It would have to be on BLM or NF land where shooting is not prohibited, otherwise we could not LOC and then there would be no point. 12031 kicks in wherever shooting is prohibited. If we don't want to hike, then some place like the Palm Springs spot is where we will have to go.

A tentative date would be Dec. 12th, more likely the 19th. The only problem with scheduling meetings like this during the wintertime is the weather may not cooperate. It might rain, it might be cold, you never know.

We had hoped by this time to have a solid core group of UOCers for the monthly meets that could be counted on to show up and help plan things but that hasn't materialized yet.

Well I'm all for the Palm Springs location for several reasons.

1. If it rains we are close to a city and can go to a backup location and have lunch or something.

2. If we do go into the city Palm Springs hasn't had very much UOC action that I have noticed so far.

3. I haven't shot a gun since June and I'm having withdrawels!!!!!

4. We have a member from Palm Springs that seems to be all alone out there.

I also have a suggestion to help plan the events as well. Have one volunteer from each county that form a committee for SoCal open carry. All suggestions for locations/events go via PM to that county's Representative. After the rep determines that it is a viable option then he submits the idea to the committee on a certain day, say the 20th. The committee then looks into all the options presented and determines where the event will be held. Location would be determined by; when we were their last, possible education for LEO/sheeples, freedom of movement, if the event is only once a yearetc. Location and date time would be chosen on say the 30th of the month by committee vote and posted on the 1st.

demnogis

imported post

BTT

This thread hasn't had any activity for a little while, but there are others asking about the next socal meet. Because of the holidays, should we wait til January? I was thinking of an area we could LOC and possibly hike/bbq whatever. Maybe even some gold prospecting...

Nopal

imported post

I took a few weeks' break, but I am here again. I'll definitely attend.

There are some awesome places to hike in the Mohave, but most are quite a drive. Anyway, I'll see you guys there.

wewd

imported post

Map of the location in case someone missed it in my other post. I'll be going out there a couple hours before the noon time to secure the good spot for us to use, so if you want to show up early, feel free. I'll be bringing clays and a hand thrower, so bring your shotguns and birdshot if you want to shoot 'em. Walmart has the best price on birdshot, $23 for 100 rounds.