• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ID while shooting in the desert

Celt

imported post

Last time I went shooting with some friends a ranger came and spoke with us. He told us we weren't doin anything wrong, asked if we had brought any of the garbage we were shootin at, and asked for our IDs and blue cards for the two handguns. (My taurus, and my buddies 9mil).
Apparently two of my friends had warrants that he warned them about, and told us to have a great day, didn't write a ticket, or handcuff anyone, just was real nice.
Thinkin about goin out again thus Friday but one of my friends doesn't have a form of ID. I know how the law applies for OCing. But what if you are discharging lawfully?

The Big Guy

imported post

I don't know what kind of "Ranger" it was, or where you were, buthe has no right to ask you to ID yourself unless you were being detained or arrested. I know it is mentioned often here, but obviously not enough, just because LEO is friendly does not mean he's your friend. Do not answer questions directly as LEO is fishing for cause. Know your rights. Let them know you object to the encounter. Always answer questions with a question. Ask why they want your ID. ASk if you are required to show ID. Ask them to recite statute. Ask if you are being detained or arrested or are you free to go, or in this case resume your activity. Be civil and don't raise your voice. Passive non cooperation is the key here.

Celt

imported post

We were just over the hump on the way to Pahrump. We'd driven out that way and then took a dirt road into the desert and were shooting up the moutain, away from the cars and such. It was obvious from the debris that many many people had been shootting there before. He could have been a county cop, or a BLM cop, but the term Ranger is stuck in my head, he was a K-9 unit whatever he was.

As to not cooperating, I understand my rights andwhat to do when OCing around town. I was mainly asking if there were different ways to behave if you are actually shooting. I understand that preemtion took care of most things that LEOs aren't allowed to stop and ask about. But the state did leave it up to the local governments about discharging, so I wasn't sure what I should do in the event that an LEO were to show up again. Figured the laws may be different, or the requirments a bit more stringent.

Thanks again for the imput!

jfrey123

imported post

I've never seen any law that would require certain actions taken while shooting, other than just the basic congested area and distance from dwelling laws.

Your friends got lucky. There was no requirement for them to cooperate with that Ranger. By doing so, their warrants were discovered and their own "non-required cooperation" almost bought themselves a free trip to the Crossbar Hotel. Have them watch this article about why you do not ever talk to the police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrZORNFpSk

On a related note, not sure I'd be going shooting with "friends" whom have warrants out for their arrest. And secondly, I'm curious why this LEO didn't arrest them. Isn't that some sort of failure to perform their duties?

Celt

imported post

Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, didn't realize they had traffic warrants out... that's all taken care of now though. Probably gonna head south again this friday. THanks again!

bookem03

imported post

Whoever this LEO was didn't have PC to look at your ID's. Thatwhy he didn't make an arrest, in his report he would have to state the PC for talking to you. :what: