• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confronting unlawful City Ordinance

American Sheepdog

imported post

I will be going before the Alpena City Council to address the following unlawful ordinance:

Sec. 54-2. DISORDERLY CONDUCT

(a)The following acts shall constitute disorderly conduct, and no person shall:

(6)Go armed with or have concealed upon his person, a dirk, dagger, sword, PISTOL, air gun, stiletto, metallic knuckles, pocket billie, sand bag, skull cracker, slingshot, razor or other offensive and dangerous weapon or instrument, unless such person is a police officer or night watchman, and is legitimately employed as such.

Any and all who wish to attend with me and voice their support, or simply sit in as armed open carry support, are asked to do so on Monday, 12-7-2009 at 7:00PM at city hall in downtown Alpena. I will have submitted a resolution to dissolve the above city ordinance, and demand a revision of the ordinance to be written that reflects the governing State laws. I have the State laws that supersede the lower city ordinance and will call for an immediate striking of the ordinance until which time a lawful ordinance can be drawn up by the city attorney.

I may be contacted by email at: excelltrinity@yahoo.com Please contact me if you plan to attend.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

I cannot be there with you, but sounds like you have the right idea. You could send the City Manager/Attorney a letter/email, but the direct approach is good also.

Here is one that I sent: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=30443&forum_id=30

I guess my idea for Salt-Laden Crackers shaped like a Skull cannot be sold in Alpena until this ordinance is struck down. I mean, once they are in a box, wouldn't they be considered "concealed"?

T Vance

imported post

Welcome,

Have you OCed around Alpena? My parents have had a cottage on Long Lake forabout 20 years now. I have not had a chance to OC up there yet, as I have not been up there in almost a year.

reidksmith

imported post

Sheepdog,

I suppose you already know this, but... Michigan firearms preemption laws prohibit any municipality from making exactly the ordinance you have quoted. I don't know the statute off hand but it was enacted in 1990, so that should make it easy for you to find.

I bet if you send what you just wrote to the AG, and ask for a QUICK opinion (they have a tendency to take their time over there,) they will tell you that that ordinance is absolutely unlawful. I cannot conceive of a any possible scenario, in fact, where that ordinance could be considered valid under state preemption.

Bottom line is that state law is on your side, so don't even bring up your own opinion or get bogged down in any other information with the council.

Let me know how it goes, and if you have any other questions.

American Sheepdog

imported post

10-4! I've got all the legal stuff on paper from this site and other dissertations from successful city council confrontations here in Michigan. I'm a former police officer, infantry soldier, hostage rescue instructor, and am an NRA instructor. Sadly nobody local, not even the local sportsmans club will show up. Oh well, I'm a loner anyhow.
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

springerdave wrote:
American Sheepdog, do you have a business west of town? We may have met.springerdave.

edit on text.

Negative! I have been here 3 years. I'm from Arkansas. I was born here but that's along story. Basically, I am a former police officer (veteran of Katrina), infantry soldier, hostage rescue instructor, and am a certified NRA instructor. If you got a job for me though I would gladly accept! LOL!

American Sheepdog

imported post

reidksmith wrote:
Sheepdog,

I suppose you already know this, but... Michigan firearms preemption laws prohibit any municipality from making exactly the ordinance you have quoted. I don't know the statute off hand but it was enacted in 1990, so that should make it easy for you to find.

I bet if you send what you just wrote to the AG, and ask for a QUICK opinion (they have a tendency to take their time over there,) they will tell you that that ordinance is absolutely unlawful. I cannot conceive of a any possible scenario, in fact, where that ordinance could be considered valid under state preemption.

Bottom line is that state law is on your side, so don't even bring up your own opinion or get bogged down in any other information with the council.

Roger that Patriot! Will post right here for all to see.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

reidksmith wrote:
Sheepdog,

Off the top of my head: MCL 123.1102.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Hey by the way. How do I put a picture next to my info on the left? I'm into photography and I want to put one there.
Thanks,
Sheepdog

Nice Vids AS and welcome to OCDO.

Go to My Account, then to Avatar.

If you would, please go to My Account, then to Profile to add Michigan to your location. Use the dropdown under State to add Michigan.

American Sheepdog

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
Hey by the way. How do I put a picture next to my info on the left? I'm into photography and I want to put one there.
Thanks,
Sheepdog

If you would, please go to My Account, then to Profile to add Michigan to your location. Use the dropdown under State to add Michigan.

Got it! Thanks!

American Sheepdog

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
Thanks,
Sheepdog

Got it! Thanks!

Oops! I didn't see that one! Good eyes there high speed!

Denny

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I like this guy. He is interesting!
Yeah, I watched a couple of his introductory to "sheep dogging" videos and they seemed good. I had heard of that concept before and I practice it to a limited extent even tho I don't really call it that. I have basically formed alliances with like minded neighbors in case of a SHTF scenario. I'll be watching more of his vids when time permits. His class sounds interesting but its quite aways away for me and money is super tight right now.