• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confronting unlawful City Ordinance

American Sheepdog

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Off topic, but have you ever eaten at Burton's Last Resort on Long Lake? I highly suggest it. The owner is into guns too.
No I haven't but I've heard it was a great place to go to. Is the owner on board with OC in his establishment?

Denny

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
NOTE: I will be video taping the council session. I have a youtube account that it will be uploaded to. If anyone is interested in visiting my account, I have provided a link to it below. I sure would like to connect with some like minded individuals here in Alpena.
Long live the Republic!

http://www.youtube.com/user/futurevent
I've watched 3 of your vids on there so far. Good stuff. I'm gonna have to look for the poor mans Night vision you mentioned in the third one. Sounds interesting.

T Vance

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Off topic, but have you ever eaten at Burton's Last Resort on Long Lake? I highly suggest it. The owner is into guns too.
No I haven't but I've heard it was a great place to go to. Is the owner on board with OC in his establishment?

Well considering it is a bar/restaurant, from what I have gathered, it seems like they make most of their profit from the sale of alcohol. So I would suggest that you OC in there if you are going to carry.

Personally I have only met the guy once. But some VERY close friends of mine in that area frequent the place often. It was actually in that restaurant where my friends invited me to the CPL class they were taking. Myself and the owner talked guns for about 20 minutes. His brother had just bought an SKS a few days earlier.

I'm not sure what his take on OC is, but I'd think he wouldn't have a problem with it as long as he was informed about it in a polite manner. I'll be OCing up there next time I come up.

American Sheepdog

imported post

T Vance wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
T Vance wrote:

Well considering it is a bar/restaurant, from what I have gathered, it seems like they make most of their profit from the sale of alcohol. So I would suggest that you OC in there if you are going to carry.

Personally I have only met the guy once. But some VERY close friends of mine in that area frequent the place often. It was actually in that restaurant where my friends invited me to the CPL class they were taking. Myself and the owner talked guns for about 20 minutes. His brother had just bought an SKS a few days earlier.

I'm not sure what his take on OC is, but I'd think he wouldn't have a problem with it as long as he was informed about it in a polite manner. I'll be OCing up there next time I come up.
I am somewhat confused about the conflicting info on OC without a CPL near schools. I live several blocks from my kids school and I often walk down to meet him. Now, My question is this. since I stand across the street from his school and wait for him to come to me, can I OC without a CPL? I just need some closure on this complicated subject. Also, can I walk into my City Council while OC'ing and give my dissertation? I think I can, but want to make sure.
Anyone with knowledge on these issues please chime in.
Thanks.

lapeer20m

imported post

as long as you legally own your pistol here in michigan, the federal 1,000 foot gun free school zone does not apply. I forget the exact wording, but you are exempted because of the states requirement for a purchase permit due to it being a license to own the firearm that required a background check.

i'm sure someone will be along shortly with a link to the GFSZ law and the exemptions.

Denny

imported post

Denny wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
NOTE: I will be video taping the council session. I have a youtube account that it will be uploaded to. If anyone is interested in visiting my account, I have provided a link to it below. I sure would like to connect with some like minded individuals here in Alpena.
Long live the Republic!

http://www.youtube.com/user/futurevent
I've watched 3 of your vids on there so far. Good stuff. I'm gonna have to look for the poor mans Night vision you mentioned in the third one. Sounds interesting.
Just finished watching your series of vids on youtube. Good job High speed! I saw quite a few things that made me think. I had to grab my pistol and try a few things. On the point blank shots where you would shove your firearm into a person in a hand to hand situation, it does indeed make it impossible to fire my Beretta 92. I never realized that and ya might have saved me a problem there. I also have incorporated your technique for one handed slide cycling off from door jams and my belt in case one arm gets incapacitated. I can actually cycle it pretty well now by just pushing my rear sightinto my hip with alot of inward pressure. Things I hadn't thought of before watching your vids, so thank you. Keep 'em coming!

reidksmith

imported post

The Federal 1000ft school gun-free zone basically never applied after US v. Lopez in 1995. The ruling was that congress could not regulate the gun around schools via the commerce clause. Thus, the wording of the act was amended, to only firearms that are involved in interstate commerce, etc, etc. For all intents and purposes, it is no longer an enforceable law. I am not a lawyer, but that should clear you from any federal wrongdoing for OCing within 1000ft of a school.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Thank you sir. I pretty much knew I could OC near a school, but I am new to Michigan and you never know what some crazy law is hidden in a certain State. Just like a law in my city says I cannot OC,. It's always nice to get a second and third opinion.

American Sheepdog

imported post

I'm gald you found the techniques helpful. A lot of people just do not know the limitations of their equipment. I just feel I need to pass along the knowledge the gov't taught me and the tax payers spent untold thousands to outfit me. ALL law abiding citizens should have access to this knowledge. If you want to learn more, please visit my other blog on here called "NE Michigan OC defensive training chapter." I think you will want to be involved in it.

Denny

imported post

Denny wrote:
Yeah, I watched a couple of his introductory to "sheep dogging" videos and they seemed good. I had heard of that concept before and I practice it to a limited extent even tho I don't really call it that. I have basically formed alliances with like minded neighbors in case of a SHTF scenario.
Here is another good overview of the sheep dogging concept by Nutnfancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8BZ7pRt28

American Sheepdog

imported post

Yea I watched pretty much all Nutn's videos. I Like his contribution to the overall cause. He used to only review very expensive products, but lately he's been getting a lot of flack about it so he's been starting a value based product review. He's an Air Force Pilot and LEO. I'm pretty sure he's out of Utah. I used to live in Ogden. He hikes into the Wasatch mountains a lot.
Good to see others watching his vids. I'm on his friends list too.

American Sheepdog

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
If anyone can attend tomorrows city council meeting in Alpena to voice their opinions on the unlawful gun ban ordinance, please do. Below is a link to the details of the ordinance.
Thank you,
Tom
http://www.lindaforcongress.com/
The city council meeting went very good. I had two citizen speeches videoed...mine and Linda Goldthorpes (running for Congress 1st district next year). I will splice (edit) the video tomorrow and post it on youtube and a link to it here. I had great conversation with several council members and the chief of police after the proceedings. What an unbelievable police dept. we have here. Totally 100% aware and respectful of the laws concerning OC. The members stated they don't foresee any problems with the evidence I submitted, and forwarded the information to the city attorney. The Item will be voted on in January due to the holidays, and time for the drawing up of a proper ordinance. I have been told by one council member inparticular that the law is clear, that the 1971adopted ordinance is definitely unlawful. This is a victory for OC'ers. I am glad...and proud to live in the fine city of Alpena. Tonight, the people were heard!
Long live the Republic
http://www.lindaforcongress.com/