• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
It is always possible the arrestee was abused. It may be a valid charge. We just don't know, yet.
With all due respect he was not arrested he was captured on the battle field, he is not aforted rights like an American citizen, or even a person under the Geneva convention.

The Govt. is treating this guy like a victim and not a terrorist. but if he was caught back when he committed this crime he would not have been put on trial for his act, he would have been put on trail for his acts against America.

I mean he would not have been put on trial for dragging them around the street, before he killed them, so why are we putting ours on trial for punching. The guy should be glad he was not shot on site. If we keep punishing the men and women for doing their job, they will stop volunteering for the job.

Can you imagine every time a soldier was charged we'd have stop pull him off the battle field gather witnesses, try to find evidence blah blah blah.
Thank you for the respect.

My main point, unstated earlier: lets not swallow hook-line-and-sinker the government story, nor fall into a line of thinking that automatically supportsthe servicemen. If all servicemen were above reproach, there would be noneedfor captain's masts nor courts martial. The military must have a way to weed out the bad ones.It reflects well on the military if it takes accusations of abuse of defenseless detainees seriously.

Lets be a little precise. Abedwasn't captured on the battlefield. The article clearly states he was identified by intelligence at some point in the past as a leader and had evaded capture. No active battle. This was much more akin to a highly-trained SWAT team capturing a criminal thought to be highly dangerous.

Whatwe are missing here is the actual evidence against the SEALs. If it is literally nothing morethan the detainee's accusation and his split lip, then somethingstinks. If that is all, what prosecutor in his right mind would go for criminal charges? The word of an insurgent (according to intelligence reports) against the word of someone presumed innocent until proven guilty?If this is the case, this is really nothing more than a political prosecution. The SEALs wouldbe found not guilty, but put through the wringer in the meantime to make the government lookconcerned aboutstopping abuse.

But, if there is more evidence, like a couple otherSEALs who witnessed and reported abuse, or heard the accused bragging later about roughing up the prisoner, or security video, or something, then of course itwould be a proper prosecution.

I thinkit best to just wait and see what evidence the government has, if any.

And my main point, lets not jump to any conclusions just yet.

Especially on an off-topic thread.

conservative85

imported post

Citizen wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
It is always possible the arrestee was abused. It may be a valid charge. We just don't know, yet.
With all due respect he was not arrested he was captured on the battle field, he is not aforted rights like an American citizen, or even a person under the Geneva convention.

The Govt. is treating this guy like a victim and not a terrorist. but if he was caught back when he committed this crime he would not have been put on trial for his act, he would have been put on trail for his acts against America.

I mean he would not have been put on trial for dragging them around the street, before he killed them, so why are we putting ours on trial for punching. The guy should be glad he was not shot on site. If we keep punishing the men and women for doing their job, they will stop volunteering for the job.

Can you imagine every time a soldier was charged we'd have stop pull him off the battle field gather witnesses, try to find evidence blah blah blah.

My main point, unstated earlier: lets not swallow hook-line-and-sinker the government story, nor fall into a line of thinking that automatically supportsthe servicemen. If all servicemen were above reproach, there would be noneedfor captain's masts nor courts martial. The military must have a way to weed out the bad ones.It reflects well on the military if it takes accusations of abuse of defenseless detainees seriously.

Lets be a little precise. Abedwasn't captured on the battlefield. The article clearly states he was identified by intelligence at some point in the past as a leader and had evaded capture. No active battle. This was much more akin to a highly-trained SWAT team capturing a criminal thought to be highly dangerous.

Whatwe are missing here is the actual evidence against the SEALs. If it is literally nothing morethan the detainee's accusation and his split lip, then somethingstinks. If that is all, what prosecutor in his right mind would go for criminal charges? The word of an insurgent (according to intelligence reports) against the word of someone presumed innocent until proven guilty?If this is the case, this is really nothing more than a political prosecution. The SEALs wouldbe found not guilty, but put through the wringer in the meantime to make the government lookconcerned aboutstopping abuse.

But, if there is more evidence, like a couple otherSEALs who witnessed and reported abuse, or heard the accused bragging later about roughing up the prisoner, or security video, or something, then of course itwould be a proper prosecution.

I thinkit best to just wait and see what evidence the government has, if any.

Points taken.

Lets put Ahab the Arab sheik of the burning sand, place him in Guantanamo bay Cuba and when the war is over we will try him in a military tribunal. Then and then only try the soldiers.

Eryk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
It is always possible the arrestee was abused.  It may be a valid charge.  We just don't know, yet.

The Govt. is treating this guy like a victim and not a terrorist.  but if he was caught  back when he committed this crime he would not have been put on trial for his act, he would have been put on trail for his acts against America.

I mean he would not have been put on trial for dragging them around the street,  before he killed them, so why are we putting ours on trial for punching. The guy should be glad he was not shot on site. If we keep punishing the men and women for doing their job, they will stop volunteering for the job.

My main point, unstated earlier:  lets not swallow hook-line-and-sinker the government story, nor fall into a line of thinking that automatically supports the servicemen.  If all servicemen were above reproach, there would be no need for captain's masts nor courts martial.  The military must have a way to weed out the bad ones.  It reflects well on the military if it takes accusations of abuse of defenseless detainees seriously.  

Lets be a little precise.  Abed wasn't captured on the battlefield.  The article clearly states he was identified by intelligence at some point in the past as a leader and had evaded capture.  No active battle.  This was much more akin to a highly-trained SWAT team capturing a criminal thought to be highly dangerous.

What we are missing here is the actual evidence against the SEALs.  If it is literally nothing more than the detainee's accusation and his split lip, then something stinks.  If that is all, what prosecutor in his right mind would go for criminal charges?  The word of an insurgent (according to intelligence reports) against the word of someone presumed innocent until proven guilty?  If this is the case, this is really nothing more than a political prosecution.  The SEALs would be found not guilty, but put through the wringer in the meantime to make the government look concerned about stopping abuse.

But, if there is more evidence, like a couple other SEALs who witnessed and reported abuse, or heard the accused bragging later about roughing up the prisoner, or security video, or something, then of course it would be a proper prosecution.

I think it best to just wait and see what evidence the government has, if any.

I say to hell with "political correctness" the enemy didn't seemed to concerned how it looked when they flew those planes full of innocents into the WTC.

and you seemed quite concerned with this being an off-topic thread. If if bothers you that much and you have the option to kill the thread then do so and be done with it. Obviously it bothers you being here  

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
I find it odd that we can bomb, maim, and kill but lord don't treat the enemy combatant with disrespect.
We don't negotiate with terrorists, and these men are terrorists. They are not an army of a country. They did not participate in the Geneva convention. They can behead our civilians brutally on camera, they can drag our burned bodies through the streets. He's complaining about being punched in the mouth when what he should have gotten was castrated with a rusty nail and a glass bottle.

Hollow points, flamethrowers, all viable options. Do you see any Abdul Al Mohammed signatures from Geneva? Didn't think so.

It is my humble opinion that the world needs a little bit more glass, if you can work out my meaning.

conservative85

imported post

Your preachin to the choir!

This ain't chess this is life. War is hell. I say we give it back 100 fold.

I think that it is only proper that when in some others playground you should play by their rules, and accommodate their wishes...

Eryk

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Your preachin to the choir!

This ain't chess this is life.  War is hell. I say we give it back 100 fold.

I think that it is only proper that when in some others playground you should play by their rules, and accommodate their wishes...

I completely agree, it is only proper.