• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Highway rest stop UOC restrictions?

chewy352

imported post

I will be traveling up I 5 and highway 99. Are there any UOC restrictions for rest stops? If so where would I find these as I have not been able to so far.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
I will be traveling up I 5 and highway 99. Are there any UOC restrictions for rest stops? If so where would I find these as I have not been able to so far.

171b makes going into the facilities a crime. The public restrooms are a public building where state employees are regularly present for the purposes of performing their duties.

I am not aware of any other prohibition.

chewy352

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
chewy352 wrote:

171b makes going into the facilities a crime. The public restrooms are a public building where state employees are regularly present for the purposes of performing their duties.

I am not aware of any other prohibition.
LOL that's rich i wish they were in there regularly. Thanks for the insight.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

A friend of mine UOC'd in one of these once while a CHP cruiser was parked in the parking lot. Either the cop didn't notice or didn't care. This friend has since been educated on the finer points of the law. (And I can talk about it now since statute of limitations are up, so my friend won't get in trouble.)

chewy352

imported post

Well just to update everyone on my trip, I ended up not UOCing at all. My wife has always had a slight fear of being turned away from a business while I UOC solo so I chose to enjoy the family time without embarrassment for her orof legal issues so I just LUOC.I did, however, LOC!

So traveling down the I5 we ran into a bunch of traffic and so I stupidly decided to go on grey roads on my map to cut across to the 101, which means it could very well be a dirt road. Only about a quarter mile from the 5 we ended up on a dirt road with nothing but open space in all directions. Not knowing what we might encounter I decided to load, chamber, and holster.

About two hours into the adventure we entered a creepy old abandoned mining town (This whole situation reminded me of the Hills Have Eyes movie) which had a population sign that said "me." After Hauling A@# through this town which means 25 mph as it was not a good road, we started climbing the mountain and came to an unmarked fork in the road. Mind you the road is on the map but the fork was not. We chose to go to the right of the fork as from what we could see it was the better road. A couple minutes past the fork a section of the road had fallen down the cliff but there was a well worn path on the embankment which resembled a NASCAR track turn. So without anywhere to turn around and not wanting to back down I picked up speed and made it around just fine but came to a quick stop just after. Ahead of me were huge ruts in the road. This time I did have a place to turn around so I did because I didn't know what lay beyond the ruts and didn't want to risk getting stuck up there.

After turning around I unholstered and kept my trusty .45 in my hand in my lap. As we came close to town I flipped my safety off and drove through as quickly and safely possible. I did see two people and one of them was walking towards their house as I approached. After I was about a mile away from the ghost town I flipped my safety back on and then holstered shortly thereafter.

Thankfully nothing bad happened and we enjoyed the rest of our trip. Now I know I violated a major gun safety rule in taking the safety off but that was my judgement call with all the details in this post and the many minor ones excluded for post size. Oh and BTW I was driving a 2007 Kia Spectra. I love off roading and going on rough dirt roads in small cars and my Saturn has the scars to prove it but this was not the time otherwise the ruts would not have stopped me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Idria is a really cool place. If you've been there, you'll recognize it from chewy's description easily. "Me" no longer lives there, and last I heard there were no full-time residents, although some folks still own the school and spend a lot of time there (they must be who you saw).

I wouldn't worry too much about being up there: some of the locals try to act scary to keep away vandals and the like, but they're not genuinely dangerous people.

In addition, as I was telling chewy over the phone, everyone who lives out there OCs. And so do most people who visit. :)

http://www.new-idria.org/

chewy352

imported post

Ya that seems like a cool place and I would love to get a camping/hunting trip together up there. I did see some deer.