• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

37th District Republican Primary

nova

imported post

great...I'll be there around that time :)

ETA: ugh...horrible traffic but I arrived just after 6...waited in line and had to bail out just before I got to the door. Freakin phone calls taking priority at the worst times.

bohdi

imported post

nova - sorry I missed you. I did something foolish. I went to the wrong school. Made it to Centreville HS at about 6:30. Got to the door at 7 PM. Got to a machine at 7:30 and out the door at 7:31. Not what I expected at all. That was the longest line I have stood in to vote since I moved here.

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
nova - sorry I missed you. I did something foolish. I went to the wrong school. Made it to Centreville HS at about 6:30. Got to the door at 7 PM. Got to a machine at 7:30 and out the door at 7:31. Not what I expected at all. That was the longest line I have stood in to vote since I moved here.
No problem. You're right...very long line. Guess it's good to see a large turnout. Very cold out especially for the older people there.

Don't know how the Centreville HS cheerleaders could stand the cold.
(I heard one of them say "Why did they have to do this at our school?" :lol:)

I did get to say hi to Steve Hunt and briefly chat, I thanked him for coming out to all our VCDL meetings and events, he said he takes gun rights very seriously. I met the other two candidates but didn't get the chance to say much more than hi.

When I was walking back to my car (well, not mine actually, my truck's out of commission temporarily) an unmarked crown vic rolled past. I instinctively reached for my pocket to check my voice recorder but remembered I left the gun behind :lol:.

bohdi

imported post

First in the hand grab line was that other guy, will something or other, Nance I think. Then I ran into Steve Hunt. Then I ran into Marianne. Then I voted. I was wearing a orange Guns Saves Lives and my empty holster. All three candidates commented on the button. No one noticed the holster.

I wish it had been somewhere else too. I think they had a game going on for basketball, which might explain why they weren't letting us in anywhere other than the library. I was surprised to see all the older folks out in force to vote too, especially due to the chill. It was pretty impressive in that regard. I expected it to be dead. Everyone was saying the same thing, and about how long it took to drive in and park. Of course, it was rush hour still...

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
First in the hand grab line was that other guy, will something or other, Nance I think. Then I ran into Steve Hunt. Then I ran into Marianne. Then I voted. I was wearing a orange Guns Saves Lives and my empty holster. All three candidates commented on the button. No one noticed the holster.

I wish it had been somewhere else too. I think they had a game going on for basketball, which might explain why they weren't letting us in anywhere other than the library. I was surprised to see all the older folks out in force to vote too, especially due to the chill. It was pretty impressive in that regard. I expected it to be dead. Everyone was saying the same thing, and about how long it took to drive in and park. Of course, it was rush hour still...
I ended up parking near the football field. I'm a big guy and took my brother's car (2-door coupe...big doors) so I wanted to make sure I parked in a spot that'd allow me lots of room :lol:

Did you see the Steve Hunt elephant? :dude:

When walking back to the car I passed a few cheerleaders...none seemed to notice my hat but seemed friendly nonetheless. It's probably been about 7 years since I've been to Centreville HS, I remember watching the football games there when my school (LB) had away games :) Hard to believe I've been done with HS for three years now...:shock:

VApatriot

imported post

Congratulations to Steve Hunt!

I didn't make it there and get in line until 9:00, and at that point the line was all the way down to the road. People were continuing to show up and fill in the line all the way up to 10:00. It took me 50 minutes to get in the building and another 10 minutes once I was inside.

vt800c

imported post

I left my house at 7, FOUGHT the traffic, missed a turn and found the back way in (from Clifton) got in line at 7:30, and voted about 8:45. I overheard that someone said 2000 would be a heavy turnout. Knowing Hunt won withn 955, and beat his opponants (the carpetbagger who was riding on his wife's coat-tails and the lady who was Bush's environmentalist) combined total, tells me that the most they had pretty close to all they counld handle.

The lady who was handling the 'A through C' table was slow and rude, but I will give her the benifit of the doubt. I think the overall mood of the croud was one of "we've had enough!"

There was a reporter for the Washington Post and I talked to him about the need for a 'castle law' in VA. My wife talked about the paper always coming late. She got more response from him than I did. He didn't take our names or anything, so I know about how far THAT went.

Oh well, maybe the paper will start arriving in time for the wife's coffee in the morning....<sigh>

Repeater

imported post

This analysis seems well thought:

Future Senator Steve Hunt’s Landslide Victory

In an impressive victory, Steve Hunt received more votes than Marianne Horinko and Will Nance combined, taking more than 50% of the vote in a high-turnout firehouse primary. As I noted before, more than 1900 people, which is over 100 more than the Cuccinelli/Thompson primary from 2002 and in a shorter amount of time. Cars lined up for over a mile from Centreville HS and the line stretched out from the school to the road (in the cold) and never abated until polls closed.

Which makes Hunt’s victory all the more impressive and well-earned. The conventional wisdom that floated around the poll was that the larger crowd would work against him. And even after the polls were closing, I was predicting, campaign staffers were predicting, even Steve Hunt himself was predicting it would be close. Instead, we got a landslide.

Furthermore, as was widely reported, Horinko’s campaign put a lot of money into this race, while Nance put a modest amount into it. Steve Hunt’s campaign was nearly all grassroots based, and the very little money the campaign spent reportedly put them into debt (which will be easily overcome after the first fundraiser with AG-elect Cuccinelli). People came out tonight to vote for Steve Hunt, not because they got a ton of his mail or phone calls, but because they know him and want him as their State Senator.

There are two obvious statements to pull from this: First of all, Steve Hunt is easily the favorite to hold the seat over Dave Marsden on January 12th. The 37th, while a “swing” district, voted overwhelmingly for Bob McDonnell and Ken Cuccinelli, and it lies in the heart of Springfield and Sully where Pat Herrity did amazing back in February. Republicans hold all three of the Supervisor seats the district overlaps with, and Republicans have performed well in recent low turnout elections. On top of all of this is that, as evidenced tonight, Republicans are still motivated.

Second, Steve Hunt is not to be underestimated. This was not a “base” turnout, and was no where close to the kind of turnout you’d see at a mass meeting or a convention. Granted, many people were contacted by the other two campaigns, but Hunt still won a majority of the votes. His name identification and support stretched far, far beyond the core of local party activists.

So in the upcoming special election you have three elements: a Republican-leaning district, a low turnout affair that benefits the motivated party, and a candidate who handidly won a contested nomination. To quote FCRC Chairman Anthony Bedell, “maybe Dave Marsden should save his rent money.”