Thread: Open Carry in Salinas, CA

Post imported post

I'm getting ready to break my OC Cherry in Salinas. Not sure where I am going to go yet, but I don't want it to be too exciting in a bad way...or have to cause someone expert medical attention.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum. Have you read the penal code and educational brochures? Do you have some to hand out if approached/asked by the sheeple? Do you have your audio and/or video hardware?

Please be prepared and be a good representative for the movement. Exercise your rights and carry on!
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

Thank you for welcoming me. I have read the penal code and several brochures, however there is no clear statement about my particular city. I have half a mind to go and flag down an Officer to ask. I have LEO Experience, but am unfortuantely ignorant of this particular city's stance on open carry and where you may have your ammunition. Within about 25 minutes, I should have the answer.

I keep a copy of the penal code within reach in case I am asked to produce it, or if I feel the need to furnish it to an Officer who is unsure. I keep it in my non-shooting rear pocket.

I do not have audio/video equipment that is ready for use at this time, but I understand the need to have some.

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    Welcome to the forum. Have you read the penal code and educational brochures? Do you have some to hand out if approached/asked by the sheeple? Do you have your audio and/or video hardware?

Please be prepared and be a good representative for the movement. Exercise your rights and carry on!
    I will try and be a good representative for the movement, and I think that speaking the Officers' language is a key element. I do not wish to irritate anyone or create a problem where one needn't exist. I feel as though our rights as American Citizens is important to protect and exercise - legally. Whatever your statutes happen to be, follow those, and it'll be okay.

Post imported post

Are you aware of Theseus' case and the ways a DA can twist the School Zone prohibition even if you arefound UNknowingly in one?

Have your read your towns municipal codes? Do you have $5000 for a legal retainer ($10,000 felony) and close to $50,000+ for the cost of a jury trial? Just things to consider.

Oh and welcome abord mate!

Post imported post

Welcome aboard.

Like coolusername2007, I am concerned about folks jumping right into open carry without some demonstrated deliberation. Before I stepped out into the world as a free man, I had done six months of study on the penal code and consulted an attorney.

Some things have changed since then, but I cannot urge new people enough to take the advice of those who went before them- even exploring the nuances that may exist in their community. I would recommend against asking police for a legal opinion. Most will discourage you from this activity.Instead, go to the city clerks office or the city webpage and review local ordinances. You should also consult the county clerks office on other local laws.

You should also visit this page of the forum... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/24732.html

as well as californiaopencarry.org
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
    I do not have audio/video equipment that is ready for use at this time, but I understand the need to have some.
    It's kind of like those Aflac commercials...when you don't have it...that's when you need it! Actually, I think that wasYogi Berrain an Aflac commercial.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

State Researcher

Post imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
    ... I keep a copy of the penal code within reach in case I am asked to produce it, or if I feel the need to furnish it to an Officer who is unsure. I keep it in my non-shooting rear pocket...
    What's a "non-shooting rear pocket"? Is there a "shooting rear pocket"? If so, where do I get a pair of pants like that?!

Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Shooting rear pocket...yeah, I'd like some pants like that, too.