• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Salinas, CA

OPS MARINE

imported post

I'm getting ready to break my OC Cherry in Salinas. Not sure where I am going to go yet, but I don't want it to be too exciting in a bad way...or have to cause someone expert medical attention.

coolusername2007

imported post

Welcome to the forum. Have you read the penal code and educational brochures? Do you have some to hand out if approached/asked by the sheeple? Do you have your audio and/or video hardware?

Please be prepared and be a good representative for the movement. Exercise your rights and carry on!

OPS MARINE

imported post

Thank you for welcoming me. I have read the penal code and several brochures, however there is no clear statement about my particular city. I have half a mind to go and flag down an Officer to ask. I have LEO Experience, but am unfortuantely ignorant of this particular city's stance on open carry and where you may have your ammunition. Within about 25 minutes, I should have the answer.

I keep a copy of the penal code within reach in case I am asked to produce it, or if I feel the need to furnish it to an Officer who is unsure. I keep it in my non-shooting rear pocket.

I do not have audio/video equipment that is ready for use at this time, but I understand the need to have some.

OPS MARINE

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Have you read the penal code and educational brochures? Do you have some to hand out if approached/asked by the sheeple? Do you have your audio and/or video hardware?

Please be prepared and be a good representative for the movement. Exercise your rights and carry on!
I will try and be a good representative for the movement, and I think that speaking the Officers' language is a key element. I do not wish to irritate anyone or create a problem where one needn't exist. I feel as though our rights as American Citizens is important to protect and exercise - legally. Whatever your statutes happen to be, follow those, and it'll be okay.

cato

imported post

Are you aware of Theseus' case and the ways a DA can twist the School Zone prohibition even if you arefound UNknowingly in one?

Have your read your towns municipal codes? Do you have $5000 for a legal retainer ($10,000 felony) and close to $50,000+ for the cost of a jury trial? Just things to consider.

Oh and welcome abord mate!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Welcome aboard.

Like coolusername2007, I am concerned about folks jumping right into open carry without some demonstrated deliberation. Before I stepped out into the world as a free man, I had done six months of study on the penal code and consulted an attorney.

Some things have changed since then, but I cannot urge new people enough to take the advice of those who went before them- even exploring the nuances that may exist in their community. I would recommend against asking police for a legal opinion. Most will discourage you from this activity.Instead, go to the city clerks office or the city webpage and review local ordinances. You should also consult the county clerks office on other local laws.

You should also visit this page of the forum... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/24732.html

as well as californiaopencarry.org

coolusername2007

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
I do not have audio/video equipment that is ready for use at this time, but I understand the need to have some.
It's kind of like those Aflac commercials...when you don't have it...that's when you need it! Actually, I think that wasYogi Berrain an Aflac commercial.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
... I keep a copy of the penal code within reach in case I am asked to produce it, or if I feel the need to furnish it to an Officer who is unsure. I keep it in my non-shooting rear pocket...
What's a "non-shooting rear pocket"? Is there a "shooting rear pocket"? If so, where do I get a pair of pants like that?!

:lol: