• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JUST OC'd in Salinas CA!!

OPS MARINE

imported post

I JUST OC'd in Salinas California without incident. After being unsure about what the city's ordinaces were, I went to check. I got straight from the Police Commander on duty what the parameters would be. I immediately placed the weapon in the holster with my backup magazine on my "weak" side. I first thought about going to McDonald's, but I figured a 7-11 would be public enough for the first go. I passed 4 people on the way in; a woman getting into her car, a woman exiting the store, a man sitting in his car, debating whether or not to go in, and another man at the Redbox outside. Once I entered the store, there was no one in there but the clerk, who greeted me with a hearty "Hello!" He asked me how I was doing and if I was off duty. I only responded that I was fine and inquired about his evening, which he said was slow. One person (male) entered the store as I was making my purchase, and I got pretty much the same greeting..."Hello!" I bade them both good evening and left. I passed two more people (males)who looked at me and then the weapon and then back at me. To give you a picture of what they see, I am wearing a light grey Abercrombie thermal, pressed Tommy Jeans and black Jungle Boots (polished). My handpack is black in a Kydex holster, and it is a mid-ride. Very hard to miss. I popped my cherry, and am glad about it. :cool:

%3Ca%20href=
th_HPNX0157.jpg

%3Ca%20href=
th_HPNX0158.jpg

coolusername2007

imported post

Good for you. Feels good to be free, doesn't it? Just a word of caution though, its fine to ask LEOs about the legal aspects of UOC but they are NOT the definitive source...do your own research. Be sure you know the pc brochure forwards and backwards...you can find it this forum.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
To give you a picture of what they see, I am wearing a light grey Abercrombie thermal, pressed Tommy Jeans and black Jungle Boots (polished). My handpack is black in a Kydex holster, and it is a mid-ride.
Translation: They were certain you were PoPo. The 'off-duty' inquiry of course, is a dead giveaway.

No worries. It's probably better the homeboys in Salinas assume that anyway.

demnogis

imported post

It matters not if they thought you were LEO or not. Although, if asked point blank (no pun intended) if you are a cop, I would advise answering with honesty.

Applause for your first UOC without incident!

OPS MARINE

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Good for you. Feels good to be free, doesn't it? Just a word of caution though, its fine to ask LEOs about the legal aspects of UOC but they are NOT the definitive source...do your own research. Be sure you know the pc brochure forwards and backwards...you can find it this forum.
Understood. I still don't know the literature as well as I'd like to, but I know it well enough to be sure I'm in the clear when stopped. Yes, it did feel good to be free. Thank you for your encouragement.

OPS MARINE

imported post

demnogis wrote:
It matters not if they thought you were LEO or not. Although, if asked point blank (no pun intended) if you are a cop, I would advise answering with honesty.

Applause for your first UOC without incident!
Thank you, thank you. Being prior LEO, it just felt good. I chose not to answer because the first thought was "I'm a former Peace Officer.", and I didn't think that would bode well. I felt completely circumventing his question based on the premise and the setting would be alright. When the situation warrants (no pun) I'll give a straight answer.

OPS MARINE

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:
To give you a picture of what they see, I am wearing a light grey Abercrombie thermal, pressed Tommy Jeans and black Jungle Boots (polished). My handpack is black in a Kydex holster, and it is a mid-ride.
Translation: They were certain you were PoPo. The 'off-duty' inquiry of course, is a dead giveaway.

No worries. It's probably better the homeboys in Salinas assume that anyway.
True that.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It's always good to inform people about their rights when possible. If upstanding citizens inquire about open carrying, feel free to tell them that they can open carry. Gets people interested and thinking about rights they haven't thought about...and possibly on the forum. The more the merrier!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
+1

I have no reason to believe the LEO you spoke to would mislead you intentionally, but as many a cop has said, "we can't know every bit of the law backwards and forwards." The simple fact is that it's your ass on the line, so be sure you're not relying on another person's best guess (unless that person is your 2A attorney).

Carry smart.

cato

imported post

OPS Marine,

It's a great feeling isn't it! Please if you are going to do this have friendly witnesses (group events are saver then going solo), recording device(s)and study study study... Understand the laws of tresspas too. If you are asked to leave, no matter how unreasonable, by any business do so.

OPS MARINE

imported post

cato wrote:
OPS Marine,

It's a great feeling isn't it! Please if you are going to do this have friendly witnesses (group events are saver then going solo), recording device(s)and study study study... Understand the laws of tresspas too. If you are asked to leave, no matter how unreasonable, by any business do so.
Of course. I make sure to dress responsibly also.I make sure to have a witness, but I don't kow of anyone else that open carries in this area. I definitely understand the laws of trespasss.