• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NE Michigan OC Defensive training Chapter

American Sheepdog

imported post

I am starting a NE Michigan defensive training chapter for Open Carrying of sidearms. I am a certified NRA Instructor. I have access to a shoot house (Kill House) at the Alpena sportsman's' club. It is generally reserved for LEO or the IDPA. But a group of Open Carry (or CPL) individuals who wish to practice shooting indoor defensive scenarios would be invited by the range management under the right conditions ( small fee and oversight).
My name is Thomas Matos. I have trained Hostage Rescue for 2 years as an apprentice instructor for 2 years. I trained under a DOD instructor who worked with the Israeli Mossad and S.E.A.L. teams. I was trained in anti- terror tactics. The knowledge I gained there transcends anything the ARMY could have ever given me. I am a veteran of the ARMY infantry (11B), and am a former Police Officer from Arkansas having witnessed the hardships of citizen relocation during Katrina. I was also certified by the Arkansas State Police to perform CCW (CPL) permit classes. I have performed armed dignitary protection for a private security company.
Of course, I live in Alpena now. I was born in Tawas.
I generally have done ALL my classes on a donation only basis. However, the range fee and overhead has forced me to charge a small fee of $15.00. This is an all day course (9a-5p) and is NOT a joke! You WILL learn to defend! My goal is to provide the knowledge that the government has given me and the tax payer has sacrificed for. Although you are not bullet proof, you will come out of this class feeling so.
This is not a Michigan Open Carry sponsored event. The first time and date will be scheduled "hopefully" in December, depending on the response I get. I NEED initial feedback from you. I can hold a class in ANY month. The events will be held every month, no matter the number of participants, and if it proves popular, it will continue. Profit is not the goal. If you are an instructor, or wish to use you knowledge in service to this country to further this cause, you are welcome to become an apprentice, or instruct.
If you want to pick my brain and learn how to survive in your home, or on the street...or learn how to react in the event of a regional or national disater/emergency, you will LOVE this training. At least 100 rounds (2 boxes) of ammo required. 250+ (10 boxes) is suggested. If all you have is a box...come! Men and women 18 years or older. 13-17 with parent consent/supervision. Non shooters need not pay. My phone # is 989-354-8169. My email is excelltrinity@yahoo.com. Please leave a comment here first if interested so others can see the response to the call.
Long Live the Republic!
Due to terrorist infiltration into our society, all participants/observers MUST present a background check document from their local law enforcement station. But, if they have a CPL, are under 18, or are vouched for by another CPL holder, the background check does not apply.

The attachment below is my sister shooting a .45 at the Alpena Sportsman's Club. What a Patriot!
Update! The following is the tentative schedule as set today at ASC (Alpena Sportsman's Club) and written in the range reservations book.

Saturday, January 16th, 2010 @9AM-5PM

This event will set the stage for any further events to be held. ASC is willing to open their doors if we are serious about the activity. Otherwise, the shoot house just sits there.

Fee- $20.00 TOTAL...due upon arrival. There is NO maximum number of people who can attend. ANYONE who registers is in!
I stated earlier that the fee was to be $15.00 but the Club has a nice warm lodge equipped with an outstanding kitchen and dining area. It's a very rustic environment on club property well in the woods. They only charge $5.00 for a hefty warm plate of fine cooking. Extra sodas, chips, and candy bars are also available. The warm environment will be a great place to recoup for lunch, and a time for chit chat.

There will also be at least one large warming tent at the range. Anyone wishing to stay warm will not have a problem. If your wife wants to hang out at the lodge during the shoot she is absolutely welcome and the ladies that run the kitchen will make for hilarious conversation for them. Coffee, hot chocolate and such is always available. They will have a nice peaceful time relaxing in the atmosphere.

We now have 3 confirmed range officers and instructors who will attend. Folks from Alpena IDPA may be there. All targets are provided. Rifle, pistol, and shotgun are acceptable. Everything is in order for an outstanding time of blasting hidden bad guys. Bring your ammo, guns, and a hefty appetite for an adrenaline rush. We plan to put you away wet, with money still in your pocket!

To register, all you need to do is place your intent to attend right here. Please leave your name (or alias), city, and State. If you are car pooling, Just leave the above info along with the number of paying shooters, and number of non-paying observers so the kitchen knows how many to cook for.

If you have personal concerns or questions, feel free to call me @ 989-354-8169, or email me @ excelltrinity@yahoo.com. Again, 13 and up can shoot, and bring those .22 rifles and pistols if you have them for the kids. Just be prepared to allow the youngsters to learn like the big boys. It's an unbelievable, patriotic sight to behold.

See you in January!
Long Live the Republic!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

"Due to terrorist infiltration into our society, all participants MUST present a background check document from their local law enforcement station. NO EXCEPTIONS."

Would a valid CPL and DL suffice? If so...

What about those without a CPL?

If I remember correctly, there's a $50 -$60 fee for background checks (NICS). I highly doubt most here will shell-out those kind of funds plus range fees, commuting, etc, for the training. It does sound like a lot of fun though. If I had that kind of money I'd do it in a heartbeat.

American Sheepdog

imported post

CPL holders are of course exempt from the background check document. Also, anyone who holds a CPL permit, and vouches for another individual, that person will be accepted as a lawful citizen. The reasons for the background check is because the course includes offensive strategies along with defensive strategies. Offensive strategies are more tactically sensitive due to their obvious value to the criminal element.
One can not forget that WE trained the terrorists to fly the planes into the towers. I'm just taking reasonable measures.

American Sheepdog

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
"Due to terrorist infiltration into our society, all participants MUST present a background check document from their local law enforcement station. NO EXCEPTIONS."

If I remember correctly, there's a $50 -$60 fee for background checks (NICS). I highly doubt most here will shell-out those kind of funds plus range fees, commuting, etc, for the training. It does sound like a lot of fun though. If I had that kind of money I'd do it in a heartbeat.
No..I'm sorry patriot, just a simple local background check, or letter/note from your local police/sheriff dept will do. I hate to do this part but I have to have something, or some correspondence saying you are a good person. CPL holders are exempt. If you vouch for someone...they are also exempt. I just have to cover my butt. It's necessary.

American Sheepdog

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

No, no, no...local background checks are usually free. That's all I need. You could even have the police chief, sheriff, or and agent thereof sign a department letterhead stating your lawful intent. It's not hard. But it is necessary. Please don't let this stop a person if they don't have a CPL. It takes less than 2 minutes and you are on your way. You need to attend. Your family needs to attend. I am trying to make this as affordable as possible, as I am also unemployed...just like thousands of other Michiganders. Layoffs stink!

American Sheepdog

imported post

I should have mentioned that nobody signs anything when they participate. I do not make any person sign any waiver of liability. WE are ALL showing up on our own accord to learn from each other. The fees cover range fees and targets, and what little ammo I use...nothing more. Therefore I do not claim to operate a business. If I did, I would have to protect my business by having you sign a waiver of liability. EVERYONE is covered by the range rules and regulations. They are posted. EVERYONE is subject to range liability rules also. I am just acting as a source of information. EVERYONE enters the live fire range at their own risk, or they wouldn't do it at all.
Maybe it could turn into a business for me at a later date. But I have knowledge of tactics and a great place to train safely and I encourage anyone who wants to learn how to survive anything from one-on-one confrontations, to mobs in the street to attend a day of blasting.
Long Live the Republic!

EM87

imported post

Wow, this sounds AWESOME! I would absolutely love to attend, but it's almost 6 hours by car from where I live - and I never have weekends off work. :(

American Sheepdog

imported post

The shoot house is available during the week also. I understand folks cannot all attend just on weekends. I have no problems with weekday shoots. There is no restrictions on participation numbers. Unlike for-profit CPL classes that depend on a minimum number of students, there is no real income from this outing. Therefore even one-on-one sessions are totally ok. Whatever works for you and your schedule. If a schedule is set between you and I, I will post it here and anyone who wants to attend can just show up. I just want to make this an activity that is available to anyone who wishes to attend. Nobody should be left in the dark on these matters. We are not mushrooms!
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

T.J. wrote:
This sounds like something I would be interested in. I think a couple buddies of mine would like to attend also.
$15.00 plus ammo ain't bad! Tie that in with access to a kill house and it's a lot of bang for the buck. If it is made easy to attend, people will be encouraged to do so, especially in this economy. The days of $1000 shooting schools are over...for now. Bring pistol, rifle, and shotgun for some advanced fun.

EM87

imported post

Yeah, thanks! I'll look into this more if I can find the time. It might not be soon, but thank you for offering something like this at such a great price!

T Vance

imported post

The Alpena area is great! Sadly the economy has really taken a toll on the city and surrounding areas as far as business goes. There are plenty of natural beauties to see while in the area.

Check out the Besser Bell nature trail just north of Alpena on Lake Huron.

Michigander

imported post

Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I'd like to go, and I could probably swing it some time in the winter or Spring. Car pooling with others from the SE region would be a good idea too if a date could be set way ahead of time.

I do have one question. What will you cover? There are so many things that the class could touch on, and realistically so little time in a single day, and so few rounds with 100-250 ish.

The other concern of mine is that a really advanced class would end up leaving beginners in the dust, and as was the case witha regularCPL class, a watered down class is a waste of time for someone who knows which way bullets fly. Having a class that 13-17 year olds could participate in that the gun savvy folks here would get a lot out of sounds like a particularly hard to swing happy medium.

So please letus know what specifically your program covers.

American Sheepdog

imported post

springerdave wrote:
American Sheepdog, besides firearm, ammo, ears & eyes and $$ what if any special equipment will we need?springerdave.

edit: Are there memberships open at the ASC?
Great question! It seems there is a melting pot of beginners and veteran shooters alike wanting to attend. For those who have eye and ear protection...bring it please. Those without it may rent eye protection and buy ear plugs at the range office. If you are into the tactical element, come decked out. If you have a rifle or shotgun you wish to deploy tactically I strongly suggest you bring it with you.

If you wish to be put through the tactical wringer, I will surely accommodate you. But if you just want to learn the tactical basics, I will also accommodate. But the main agenda will be survival one-on-one, home invasion, fighting in public places, and WROL (without rule of law) survival. The latter is severe dynamic tactics and survival. How to work closely with emergency services in a disaster situation is a key element.

Alpena Sportsmans club is indeed looking for new members. Yearly dues are $50.00 and include a key to all the gates to all the ranges. If you have extra holsters please bring them. Someone else may not have one. If you have something you may want to sell (gun stuff) bring it. We will be eating lunch in town. Dollar burgers for me.:celebrate

Even if you have body armor or LBV's (load bearing vests), bring them. The more ammo you bring, the more you get to shoot. There is a Wal-Mart and several sporting goods stores here. Dunhams has had decent selections of pistol and rifle ammo lately. Please bring .22's also if you can. Load up on .22 ammo for cheap. It's a great way to run and gun for practice.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I'd like to go, and I could probably swing it some time in the winter or Spring. Car pooling with others from the SE region would be a good idea too if a date could be set way ahead of time.

I do have one question. What will you cover? There are so many things that the class could touch on, and realistically so little time in a single day, and so few rounds with 100-250 ish.

The other concern of mine is that a really advanced class would end up leaving beginners in the dust, and as was the case witha regularCPL class, a watered down class is a waste of time for someone who knows which way bullets fly. Having a class that 13-17 year olds could participate in that the gun savvy folks here would get a lot out of sounds like a particularly hard to swing happy medium.

So please letus know what specifically your program covers.
O.K. Great questions! Now, hold on to you draws! My prior experience with the youngsters has always been the same as with the adults. They will run and gun just like the rest of us. They NEED to be able to pick up any firearm and deploy it as if it was second nature. This is exactly why Israel is so strong. Such a small dot on the map, yet every able bodied citizen can grab the gun from a dead soldier and continue the fight. I do not sugar coat anything. Political correctness gets people killed...like in Ft. Hood! I teach in a way that assimilates both the pro and novice alike. After a short demonstration, the pistol savvy will shoot first. The novices will ACCOMPANY during the tactical maneuver. By the time it is their turn, they have been Baptisted into the tactical environment and nature takes over. Do not worry about getting dirty. I'll send you home smelling like a pig. Your gun will jam...I guarantee it. In fact, I'll make a Glock jam almost every shot. But you gotta show up to see it! Your first exercise will be shooting 100 yards with your sidearm. You heard me right! It's the first thing we taught Hostage Rescue to do before any training could occur. I'll explain why when you show up.