• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NE Michigan OC Defensive training Chapter

American Sheepdog

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I'd like to go, and I could probably swing it some time in the winter or Spring. Car pooling with others from the SE region would be a good idea too if a date could be set way ahead of time.

I do have one question. What will you cover? There are so many things that the class could touch on, and realistically so little time in a single day, and so few rounds with 100-250 ish.

The other concern of mine is that a really advanced class would end up leaving beginners in the dust, and as was the case witha regularCPL class, a watered down class is a waste of time for someone who knows which way bullets fly. Having a class that 13-17 year olds could participate in that the gun savvy folks here would get a lot out of sounds like a particularly hard to swing happy medium.

So please letus know what specifically your program covers.
O.K. Great questions! Now, hold on to you draws! My prior experience with the youngsters has always been the same as with the adults. They will run and gun just like the rest of us. They NEED to be able to pick up any firearm and deploy it as if it was second nature. This is exactly why Israel is so strong. Such a small dot on the map, yet every able bodied citizen can grab the gun from a dead soldier and continue the fight. I do not sugar coat anything. Political correctness gets people killed...like in Ft. Hood! I teach in a way that assimilates both the pro and novice alike. After a short demonstration, the pistol savvy will shoot first. The novices will ACCOMPANY during the tactical maneuver. By the time it is their turn, they have been Baptisted into the tactical environment and nature takes over. Do not worry about getting dirty. I'll send you home smelling like a pig. Your gun will jam...I guarantee it. In fact, I'll make a Glock jam almost every shot. But you gotta show up to see it! Your first exercise will be shooting 100 yards with your sidearm. You heard me right! It's the first thing we taught Hostage Rescue to do before any training could occur. I'll explain why when you show up.
Now, if you have 500 or more rounds...by all means, bring them. You will be able to shoot as many as you can afford. Now, if you have some type of physical limitation, the tactics will be "prescribed" to you, I don't want any injuries. If your 13-17 year old child can do the heavy tactical stuff with your permission, I would suggest maybe some knee pads, elbow pads, and a biking helmet. They're gonna be rolling around during tactical evasion scenarios. If you do not want to get dirty, no problem. I've even trained folks in wheel chairs. Everyone is welcome. The training is fast paced. Your heart rate will climb to achieve a stressed scenario. You WILL learn your limits. BRING GALLON JUGS OF WATER!
The pistol, and 100 yard range is right next to the shoot house. Very convenient. The training will go fast. Even if you run out of ammo, your training is not done. You still need to know how to pick ANY firearm and operate it naturally. Heck, we may even start in the early afternoon and shoot into the early night for nighttime scenarios. It seems like most of you live a long ways from here so starting after noon may not be such a bad idea. Just give me some feedback.
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Am I correct and you sister is running a pt145?

I have a PT111 that I carry as my primary... nice little guns.
Yup! PT-145. Works pretty good but jams when bench shooting. Needs a more loose platform for proper functioning. I can deal with it though. I have plenty of practice with it. Clearing malfunctions is quick.

autosurgeon

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Am I correct and you sister is running a pt145?

I have a PT111 that I carry as my primary... nice little guns.
Yup! PT-145. Works pretty good but jams when bench shooting. Needs a more loose platform for proper functioning. I can deal with it though. I have plenty of practice with it. Clearing malfunctions is quick.

I would imagine that is BC it was designed to be a close and personal defense gun... not a bullseye target gun... but hey thats what I got my 111 for and it has worked admirably.

Bronson

imported post

I'd be interested in this also. A carpool from the S.W. corner of the state would be a good idea. Weekdays work best for me but with enough notice of group outing I can usually get some weekend time off.

Bronson

American Sheepdog

imported post

Excellent. I will be posting the the date of the first outing on Monday evening after consulting with range management. So far we are looking at about 20 people. Hope to get more. Seems a TON of folks want to attend. Looking forward to this.
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

Dissertation on Dynamic Training

[align=left]The most asked questions from those interested are, when, and what kind of training will take place. The "when" will be posted here on Monday afternoon (Nov 30th). Below is a rundown on what training scenarios I intend to cover.

CQB (Close Quarters Battle), Proper target acquisition, threat awareness scenarios, multiple target engagements, indoor defensive and offensive dynamic tactics, urban defensive tactics, proper cover, weapons malfunction drills (tap-rack-fire), dynamic vehicle defensive tactics, dynamic anti-assault rifle defensive tactics, weapon reloading tactics (also while blindfolded to simulate zero light scenario), weak hand weapons deployment, ballistics, crowded public places defensive tactics (like sitting near an exit while dining for fast, safe escape), knowing your rights when questioned..dealing with questioning by police, intro to the sheepdog concept, shoot-move-live tactics, shoot first scenarios, anti-terror scenarios, shoot-don't shoot, rifle, pistol, shotgun tactical deployment philosophy, anti-body armor tactics (defeating armed criminals who are wearing body armor like in the LA bank robbery scenario), run-and-gun activities, ground (prone...etc) weapons defensive tactics, long range handgun marksmanship (no better way to know your limits, and the limits of your handgun), the Alamo (last stand) defensive tactics, buying and deployment of tactical accessories, WROL (Without Rule of Law) preparations and strategies (dealing with regional or national disasters/emergencies), Dynamic defensive strategies against a mob rule (WROL), deploying laser and flashlight tactics, weapons familiarization drills (grabbing a weapon you have never touched and immediately deploying it in a defensive scenario), team defensive tactics (squad level fighting techniques), dynamic room clearing tactics (some tactics used by Hostage Rescue), the false security of house alarm systems (vulnerabilities), Q and A (always ask questions).

Between the information you will be taking in and the activity level of the drills, you will be very hungry come dinner time. If you decide to bring your teenagers please keep in mind that this training is designed to condition you to shoot/kill someone if necessary. There is no nice way to teach it. I only deal in the realm of the real world. I highly suggest bringing the teenagers. They will leave with a new prospective on the real world we live in. It will also aid in them understanding your concerns about criminals. Everyone will have fun of course, but I must stress this is a matter that is not to be taken lightly.

If you do not own a gun, or you just want to learn by observing, there is no charge. But I need to have a way to know you are a lawful citizen. A CPL holder may vouch for you, or you may have a LOCAL BACKGROUND CHECK done at your local sheriff/police dept...usually free but sometimes they charge a $5.00 fee.
If you are a tactical savvy dude or dudette with tactical gear like leg holsters, BDU's, knee pads, LBV's (load bearing vests), body armor and such...please bring them. Show up decked out if you want, but be prepared to get dirty. Some activities may be too rigorous for some folks. Don't worry, everyone will be accomodated. Your scenario can be altered.
Note: I will be asking for volunteers to provide themselves and their weapon for drills designed to make their weapon malfunction. This means it will get very dirty. If nobody wants to do it that's ok. But if a high speed individual wants to show that his waepon cannot jam, I am willing to accomodate. It's a hilarious drill. There has never been a SWAT member I trained that his weapon did not jam. So, if you like to belly crawl through the sand, grass and mud, you will make our day.:celebrate LOL...just bring extra underwear!

I plan to video most of the training activities. The parts suitable for public viewing will be put on my Youtube account. A link to the videos will be put in my blogs on this site. This thing can grow! If you don't want to be in the video just let me know. I respect that wish to the letter.
[/align]

American Sheepdog

imported post

Once again, please bring a .22 rifle and/or a .22 pistol if you have them. It's a great way to EXTEND your shooting time for cheap. AK-47's and AR-15's are also welcome. Basically anything you would use in the defense of your home please bring. There is a whole other world that will open up for you at this shoot. Shotguns with bird shot is excellent.

Handgun ammo is not cheap and hard to find.:banghead:

12 gauge bird shot is everywhere! So is .22 ammo.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Update: I made contact with an individual who works at the gun and pawn on 32 and he has access to MOVING TARGETS used for IDPA. He knows the shoot house well and will attend. He said it will not be a problem and that I need to contact the board of the range, which I intend to do on Monday. Just that much closer to renting the shoot house for some time in January. I have already been notified that IDPA chapter of Alpena will also want to attend. Everything is coming together so much better than I expected. I have gotten so many PM's of people from all around the State throwing their hat in the ring. Looks like well over 30 people so far, and I'm sure more will sign on as we go. This may be the largest OC group gathering yet. The local news will also show up, as they will be notified of the event once the date is set. Just another great tool to get out the word of our rights as lawful citizens. This whole event could have a universal effect of desensitizing the public and LEO about lawful OC. If everyone knows we can OC, then unreasonable fears and panicked calls will not be an issue.
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

Update! The following is the tentative schedule as set today at ASC (Alpena Sportsman's Club) and written in the range reservations book.

Saturday, January 16th, 2010 @9AM-5PM

This event will set the stage for any further events to be held. ASC is willing to open their doors if we are serious about the activity. Otherwise, the shoot house just sits there.

Fee- $20.00 TOTAL...due upon arrival. There is NO maximum number of people who can attend. ANYONE who registers is in!
I stated earlier that the fee was to be $15.00 but the Club has a nice warm lodge equipped with an outstanding kitchen and dining area. It's a very rustic environment on club property well in the woods. They only charge $5.00 for a hefty warm plate of fine cooking. Extra sodas, chips, and candy bars are also available. The warm environment will be a great place to recoup for lunch, and a time for chit chat.

There will also be at least one large warming tent at the range. Anyone wishing to stay warm will not have a problem. If your wife wants to hang out at the lodge during the shoot she is absolutely welcome and the ladies that run the kitchen will make for hilarious conversation for them. Coffee, hot chocolate and such is always available. They will have a nice peaceful time relaxing in the atmosphere.

We now have 3 confirmed range officers and instructors who will attend. Folks from the Alpena IDPA may be there. All targets are provided. Rifle, pistol, and shotgun are acceptable. Everything is in order for an outstanding time of blasting hidden bad guys. Bring your ammo, guns, and a hefty appetite for an adrenaline rush. We plan to put you away wet, with money still in your pocket!

To register, all you need to do is place your intent to attend right here. Please leave your name (or alias), city, and State. If you are car pooling, Just leave the above info along with the number of paying shooters, and number of non-paying observers so the kitchen knows how many to cook for.

If you have personal concerns or questions, feel free to call me @ 989-354-8169, or email me @ excelltrinity@yahoo.com. Again, 13 and up can shoot, and bring those .22 rifles and pistols if you have them for the kids. Just be prepared to allow the youngsters to learn like the big boys. It's an unbelievable, patriotic sight to behold.
Sportsmen's Drive is 3 miles west of Alpena on HWY 32. It is located on the north side of 32 between the Alpena regional airport and Alpena. Sportsmen's drive ends at the lodge where you will sign in.

See you in January!
Long Live the Republic!

American Sheepdog

imported post

Yea I know! Sucks! But the aspect of realism still applies. We intend to use the weather to show just exactly how your body handles adverse conditions when the poo poo hits the fan. Folks wiould be amazed at how numb you become when your life flashes in fron of your eyes. Also, there will be more shoots in the spring, summer, and fall if this one looks good. Hope you can make it friend.

T Vance

imported post

I'll see how my financial situation is then and try to make it. Can't guarantee though. It would give me an excuss to go to the cottage though.

Trainer

imported post

I will be there. I'll bring 2 semi-auto .22 pistols & a stock ruger 10/22 for younger shooters to work with. plus some other toys :what:

American Sheepdog

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
Looks like dad and I are both planning on coming now :)

Just 1 question since u mentioned liabilities and such... Normal range safety I would assume?
Right now it's range rules. The board meeting is next Monday so I may be forced to take some responsibility. If so, it will be basic.