• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning an OC event in VA and have some questions

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

I am from Georgia and am trying to put together a region-wide or even nationwide open carry get together at some location in Northern Virginia. The closer to DC the better. The date for the event is planned for 19 April, 2010.

I've looked on this site and on the forum and it is fairly confusing whether it would be better to try to plan this kind of thing at a Virginia State park, a National Park in Virginia, a private campground, or what.

Some of the participants would have out of state permits, but my understanding is that one does not need any permit to OC in VA.

Where can a non-VA resident open carry in Virginia and where can a non resident not open carry with or without a permit?

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
... The closer to DC the better...
Based on that criteria, you would be hard-pressed to do any better than Gravelly Point near Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA).
  • National Park Service Land (part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway)
  • No structures (there's been some discussion on this topic lately)
  • Parking lot on-site
  • Easy access (from VA)
  • Directly across Potomac from DC
  • Beautiful views of the river, DC, and DCA's landings / takeoffs
Caution: Columbia Island, immediately to the West (beyond I-395), while on the "VA side" of the Potomac's main channel IS part of DC -- don't go there w/ a firearm!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless your desire is to be able to see DC from your site, there are numerous parks in Alexandria http://alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12342, Arlington County http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/ParksRecreation/ParksRecreationMain.aspx, or Fairfax County http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/glance001.htmwhere OC will not be a problem.

Additionally, the locals are quite familiar with OC and generally seem to not get their panties in a wad when they see a whole lot of OC-ers all in one place. We are still waiting, however, for them to come over and try to mooch a hot dog.:lol:

How about more info on just what you are trying to put together? Some of us may be willing to join in and serve as local contacts for the event.

stay safe.

skidmark

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Unless your desire is to be able to see DC from your site, there are numerous parks in Alexandria http://alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12342, Arlington County http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/ParksRecreation/ParksRecreationMain.aspx, or Fairfax County http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/glance001.htmwhere OC will not be a problem.

Additionally, the locals are quite familiar with OC and generally seem to not get their panties in a wad when they see a whole lot of OC-ers all in one place. We are still waiting, however, for them to come over and try to mooch a hot dog.:lol:

How about more info on just what you are trying to put together? Some of us may be willing to join in and serve as local contacts for the event.

stay safe.

skidmark
I'm trying to organize a gathering of legally armed citizens as close to DC as possible. will it be called a political rally? Perhaps, but I don't know if VA has a law prohibiting carry at political rallies. If I can attach a message to the gathering, it is this: Restore the Constitution. A gathering of likeminded constitution supporting Patriots gathered just outside DC excercising their 1st Amendment rights and 2nd Amendment rights simultaneously would be a statement that the main stream media and powers that be would find impossible to ignore.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Highly recommend that you get in-touch w/ the VCDL.

Not that they have any sort of monopoly over 2A (or 1A) activities within VA ...

... but coordinating with them can only yield benefits for all involved.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
Highly recommend that you get in-touch w/ the VCDL.

Not that they have any sort of monopoly over 2A (or 1A) activities within VA ...

... but coordinating with them can only yield benefits for all involved.
Email sent to VCDL's president. Anyone on here interested in participating and helping choose a location?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Barely Legal,

Virginia has no laws about carrying at political rallies. Depending on just how you put this together it could be a political rally, a 2A rally, or a picnic. The OC community in various parts of Virginia have done all of those, and more in support of 2A, the Constitution, and fellowship.

Forgive me if I was not as clear as I could have been when I asked what you were trying to organize.

Are you looking for a very public place where folks can hold signs, wave at passing motorists, and make it easy for the MSM to get to and from the site?

Perhaps a march from public place A to public place B, both having some 2A or other constitutional relevance?

The more specific you are the more the activist folks here can decide how best to advise and/or assist you. There are a lot of folks (Tea Party, Threepers, etc.) planning activities on and around the date you have given. Am I correct in presuming you want to organize something not connected with those other groups and have it focus strictly on 2A?

As much as I support your endeavor, I have got to tell you that the politicians, as well as the press, can ignore the event no matter how much planning is done in advance.

stay safe.

skidmark

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

skidmark wrote:

Are you looking for a very public place where folks can hold signs, wave at passing motorists, and make it easy for the MSM to get to and from the site?

Yes.

I am a Three Percenter myself, and I'm getting this started through the Alarm and Muster call Tree, but any and all orgs with a strong constitutionalist stance are welcome. My message is this: The constitution is not being followed; follow it!

The date for the gathering coincides with the date of the first shot in the Revolutionary War in 1775, PLUS, there will be a pro-2A rally the same day in DC itself. I think if we can get enough people out there openly carrying weapons, the MSM will cover us.

Notice how folks who show up at rallies and town halls are pretty much the only ones CNN and MSNBC choose to cover?

Anyway, I'll have some more discussions with the other planners following the Thanksgiving holiday.

Enjoy Thanksgiving!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
skidmark wrote:

Yes.

I am a Three Percenter myself, and I'm getting this started through the Alarm and Muster call Tree, but any and all orgs with a strong constitutionalist stance are welcome. My message is this: The constitution is not being followed; follow it!

The date for the gathering coincides with the date of the first shot in the Revolutionary War in 1775, PLUS, there will be a pro-2A rally the same day in DC itself. I think if we can get enough people out there openly carrying weapons, the MSM will cover us.

Notice how folks who show up at rallies and town halls are pretty much the only ones CNN and MSNBC choose to cover?

Anyway, I'll have some more discussions with the other planners following the Thanksgiving holiday.

Enjoy Thanksgiving!
And you want to hold this reminder of freedom in Northern Virginia?:shock:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
skidmark wrote:

Yes.

Enjoy Thanksgiving!
And you want to hold this reminder of freedom in Northern Virginia?:shock:

Come on, Peter Nap. If not Northern Virginia, where else in the Old Dominion (besides Richmond, Norfolk, the state's universities and community colleges, Blacksburg, Roanoke, Danville, your stomping grounds around Southside Virginia, the Shennandoah Valley, etc.)?

Barely Illegal (sorry about the prior misspelling) - I see you are already well into this with otherr organizations. This old hippie will tell you that you will get a lot more mileage (no pun intended) out of marches on the public roads leading to the river's edge than looking for a static spot. Just don't overextend yourself - a mile of road can be a hard march to keep under control and your planning time is very short. Good luck to you.

stay safe.

skidmark

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
... The closer to DC the better...
Based on that criteria, you would be hard-pressed to do any better than Gravelly Point near Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA).
  • National Park Service Land (part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway)
  • No structures (there's been some discussion on this topic lately)
  • Parking lot on-site
  • Easy access (from VA)
  • Directly across Potomac from DC
  • Beautiful views of the river, DC, and DCA's landings / takeoffs
Caution: Columbia Island, immediately to the West (beyond I-395), while on the "VA side" of the Potomac's main channel IS part of DC -- don't go there w/ a firearm!

Gravelly Pt looks like a good spot, lots of road frontage, close to DC. 2 questions:

1. How is the airplane noise? Could someone address as crowd and not have to keep stopping?

2.Is reserving the space or any requirement toget a permit something I should worry about?

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Aircraft noise really isn't too much of a problem at Gravelly point.

(Of course that doesn't mean that an aircraft immediately overhead isn't "distracting.") ;)

The main reason for lack of noise is due to runway length and max flight distance restrictions; DCA is effectively a twin-engine "narrowbody" airport (e.g. 737's, A318/319/320's, and regional jets with a very occasional 757)

Gravelly point is at the north end of Runway 01/19.

Aircraft arriving on "19" -- while low -- are not that noisy ... and those departing on "01" are much higher overhead and "seem" even quieter than those arriving.

This YouTube video -- shot from the park -- gives a pretty good perspective of a landing on "19."

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
Aircraft noise really isn't too much of a problem at Gravelly point.

(Of course that doesn't mean that an aircraft immediately overhead isn't "distracting.") ;)

The main reason for lack of noise is due to runway length and max flight distance restrictions; DCA is effectively a twin-engine "narrowbody" airport (e.g. 737's, A318/319/320's, and regional jets with a very occasional 757)

Gravelly point is at the north end of Runway 01/19.

Aircraft arriving on "19" -- while low -- are not that noisy ... and those departing on "01" are much higher overhead and "seem" even quieter than those arriving.

This YouTube video -- shot from the park -- gives a pretty good perspective of a landing on "19."
OK, so Gravelly point is looking like a good spot, very close to DC, visibility along highway, National Park land so open carry w/ VA no permit OK, noise not too bad to prevent turnout. Also, the date of 4-19-2010 coincides with a 2A rally in DC proper.Any reason NOT to use Gravelly Point as a rally site for constitutionalists carrying firearms? If not, I'll probably be there along the road with a sign that says "Restore the Constitution" while carrying an AR-15 slung on my back and an openly carried pistol on my belt. Any problem with a large group doing this?

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

One thing I just thought of is to positively verify that ALL of that parcel belongs to the NPS and not to MWAA.

It becomes a non-starter if it's MWAA.

Both NPS maps seem to indicate tha it's NPS land, but it always pays to verify.

Unfortunately, Arlington County doesn't seem to have their property parcel maps available online. :(

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
One thing I just thought of is to positively verify that ALL of that parcel belongs to the NPS and not to MWAA.

It becomes a non-starter if it's MWAA.

Both NPS maps seem to indicate tha it's NPS land, but it always pays to verify.

Unfortunately, Arlington County doesn't seem to have their property parcel maps available online. :(

Two questions at this point:

1- How do I find out 100% if it's NPS and not MWAA, and

2- Given the description of the proposed event I've given thus far, would anyone on here be on board with attending? FYI, there will be a 2A rally in DC itself the same day, but I'd like to have a rally that's more general and in support of the ENTIRE constitution and I'd like for participants to be able to take theirrifles and pistols to therally's location. Anyone here interested? Here is a linkfor more info:

http://alarmandmuster.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2966