• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning an OC event in VA and have some questions

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

So would a political gathering at Gravelly Point with some participants carrying loaded OC pistols, and unloaded semi auto rifles slung on their backs and carrying flags and signs be legal?

If so, issome kind of permit required, and, if so, who do I need to contact about that so I can get started?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
...SNIP
If not, I'll probably be there along the road with a sign that says "Restore the Constitution" while carrying an AR-15 slung on my back and an openly carried pistol on my belt.  Any problem with a large group doing this?

Just one note of caution. Virginia does have some restrictions as the the amount of ammo a person can carry while carrying a long gun.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

You may also want to look at the rest of the page too. While not comprehensive, this page list a lot of the Virginia firearms laws that you as an out of stater might want to review.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_StateLaws.shtm

Regards

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Read the statute carefully. It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of ammo, just the maximum number of rounds the magazine that is inserted in the gun at the time can hold.

You can carry all the ammo you want and have any size mag, just so long as the one in the gun doesn't exceed 20 rounds. This also doesn't apply to CHP holders and is only applicable in certain parts of the state.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Read the statute carefully. It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of ammo, just the maximum number of rounds the magazine that is inserted in the gun at the time can hold.

You can carry all the ammo you want and have any size mag, just so long as the one in the gun doesn't exceed 20 rounds. This also doesn't apply to CHP holders and is only applicable in certain parts of the state.

Aren't we testy today.
Na_Na_Na_Na.gif

I shall try to remember to be more specific. My original premise is still valid. This guy should read the law in Virginia before he gets out of his car at the end of the National airport runway with a rifle that has a fully loaded 30 round Magazine !!

Now go take your meds.:lol:

Regards

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Aren't we testy today.
Na_Na_Na_Na.gif

I shall try to remember to be more specific. My original premise is still valid. This guy should read the law in Virginia before he gets out of his car at the end of the National airport runway with a rifle that has a fully loaded 30 round Magazine !!

Now go take your meds.:lol:

Regards
I think you took yours twice today:p

I was speaking to the OP so he was clear about what the law said. While your condensed version hit the high spots, the devil is in the details.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Thanks for all of the guidance, all. I think I'm pretty close to proposing a "Restore The Constitution" rally at Gravelly Pointon 19 April 2010 with a focus on the GW pkwy leading to and from DC.

Thanks, ed for looking into permit requirements.I am awaiting word.

Just out of curiosity at this point, would anyone here be interested in attending a "Restore the Constitution" rally at Gravelly Point on 4-19-10 if it were put out?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
Thanks for all of the guidance, all. I think I'm pretty close to proposing a "Restore The Constitution" rally at Gravelly Pointon 19 April 2010 with a focus on the GW pkwy leading to and from DC.

Just out of curiosity at this point, would anyone here be interested in attending a "Restore the Constitution" rally at Gravelly Point on 4-19-10 if it were put out?
Sorry!
I have a firm policy of not leaving Virginia (Everything north of Fredericksburg is out)

altajava

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Sorry!
I have a firm policy of not leaving Virginia (Everything north of Fredericksburg is out)
That right thar is funny, I was under the impression The South did not begin until you reached the latatude of Richmond.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

altajava wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Sorry!
That right thar is funny, I was under the impression The South did not begin until you reached the latatude of Richmond.
Naaa...That's just where they forgot to pronounce the letter R.

vt800c

imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
OK, so Gravelly point is looking like a good spot, very close to DC,
I just wonder if TSA or Homeland Security might have 'influence' in an area that is considered directly along the 'final approach' path to DCA. Just my $0.02.

My point is that it may fall under the 'gray area' jurisdiction of another agency. Due Diligance says you might want to look into that. (IANAL)

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

ed wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
As soon as they answer my e-mail.
Thanks, ed. and, yes, the date is a monday, but it is also the anniverary of the first shot of the American Revolutionary War, AND there will also be a 2A rally going the same day inside DC itself on the Mall. If I can get Gravelly point, it will be only 1.5 mi or so from the Mall.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
vt800c wrote:
I just wonder if TSA or Homeland Security might have 'influence' in an area that is considered directly along the 'final approach' path to DCA. 
I carry at DCA as it is in VA and not inside any terminal buildings.

Yea a lot of us carry in the unsterile areas of airports.

But what we are talking about here is standing at the end of the runway of an airport used heavily by congressional personnel and other dignitaries, with a loaded rifle. It might be possible to do that without any interference, but I doubt it. It would be another matter if you were a little further away, but from that parking lot you can almost reach up and touch a landing airplane. Now perhaps if the wind is in your favor and on your appointed day that was the departure end of the runway there would be less of an issue. My suggestion is to bring bail money and the phone number of a good criminal lawyer.

Also someone hear said they did not think aircraft noise would be an issue for interviews. I have spent a lot of time using the boat launch that is there and I am here to tell you the aircraft do make enough noise to stop an interview in its tracks. While it is true that there are no wide bodies flying out of National, there at still a lot of large aircraft using that airport.

Regards

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The 2010 Second Amendment March in DC has been in planning for a couple years. I first heard about it last summer atthe OC Picnic in Newport News.

I'm planning to attend the DC event.It will be well-covered by the press and have a bigger and more positive impact on the public than the alternative.

Just my $.02 worth...