• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DA John Chisholm

gbu28

imported post

Anyone else see the latest issue of the Shepherd Express? It includes an interview with DA John Chisholm regarding gun control/CCW. There is much that is obnoxious about his comments but the thing that completely shocked me (for the fact that he let it slip out, not that he thinks it) was his response "If people actually know their rights it would be virtually impossible to prosecute someone.”

Has everyone forgotten the importance of an individual's rights? Essentially he's saying they (the justice system) does whatever it can to circumvent and nullify people's rights. I can't garner any other interpretation from his statement. The obnoxiousness of it. I would hope that in his mind he immediately thought, "damn, did I say that out loud" but I doubt it. It's pure arrogance in my view.

Other's have said it, I'll say it again. Never ever ever ever talk to the police. The most they get from me is a slight nod as I walk by.

edit
I didn't realize it was online:
http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/art...hecks-would-make-wisconsin-safer-da-says.html

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

It is really interesting stuff when you try to figure out the thought process of someone like Chisolm. The must truly be wored different then people that value their rights.

I found this snippet especially bothersome:
Chisholm: The [DA’s] office made the improvident decision to prosecute a gentleman named [Munir] Hamdan back in 1999, before I took over as team captain of the gun unit. Hamdan was a store owner who had a gun underneath his store counter, and when the officer went [into his store] and found the gun, he brought him in to prosecute for CCW.

That implicated the Wisconsin right to keep and bear arms amendment. In the Supreme Court decision, the court upheld the constitutionality of the CCW statute, but barely so. What [the court] basically said was [that the Legislature] needs to start looking very closely at this law and figure out what [it is] going to do with this in the future. But what we’ve done is nothing. So we’ve been living on borrowed time. And that time is up now.
gbu28 wrote:
Other's have said it, I'll say it again. Never ever ever ever talk to the police.

There is an interesting story in the Virginia thread involving the infamous "Danbus"
The guy was working as a security guard at a store, he had an incident with a customer, he had the customer removed from the store by the police, and later on the police showed up with an arrest warrant for Danbus, theycharged him, and the courts found him guilty by use of his own admissions.
I side with the courts on his conviction, but this is a great case where the persons own admissions were the onlypeice of evidenceneeded to arrest and charge this guy that thought he was well within the law with his actions.

Story can be found here; http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/34418.html
He is looking at a being incarcerated for up to one year.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Shepherd: What would happen if the state Legislature doesn’t act on these reforms?
Chisholm: I’m going to make a prediction right now because I don’t know if we have the will and the foresight to do this but I predict that nothing will happen and that Chicago vs. McDonald will hold that the Second Amendment is incorporated into the 14[sup]th[/sup] Amendment [and call into question other state and local gun laws]. Then 20 seconds later the NRA will file a challenge to [Wisconsin’s concealed carry statute] and they will win. And at that point in time we will be left with no CCW and no regulatory scheme at all. That’s what I think will happen.

This is exactly what we want to happen. Then there will be no law prohibiting CCW and it will virtually cost us nothing.

We’ve sent such deeply contradictory messages to people on firearms over the years. I have found it frustrating and other prosecutors find it frustrating. What we need to do is to come up with a comprehensive package of firearms reforms that would satisfy everyone’s major concerns. It’s doable. It’s an achievable goal if we just focus on what’s best for the state.
What's best for the state is people paying money to exercise their rights and courts levying larger fines for people who are caught CCW.

Shepherd: One major source of guns ultimately used in crimes and of “straw purchases” of firearms is Badger Outdoors, based in West Milwaukee. How does law enforcement ensure that the store’s right to sell guns doesn’t harm public safety?
Chisholm: I’ve always been fair and balanced with Badger. I’ve always acknowledged the good things that they’ve done and their work with law enforcement. What I’ve become increasingly concerned about in recent years is that they are engaged in a business practice, a deliberate business model, that makes it easy for people to quickly transfer guns to the illegal market.
If I were sitting behind that counter there would be a list of maybe ten questions that I would ask any potential customer. This would be based on my own familiarity of firearms and the law and the way they get into the illegal market. I would ask questions that would very quickly let me know whether I have a legitimate purchaser or someone who was intending to get rid of that gun fairly quickly and has no intention of keeping it themselves. They are experts in the field. It’s their business. They know everything there is to know about firearms and their accessories and what would be a good indicator of a straw purchases.
The other thing is that other licensed firearms dealers don’t have near the number of crime guns that Badger has. Some of them sell high-end stuff and have a different clientele, but the reality is that in our experience they are much more proactive in stopping what they see are suspicious sales, and asking that next question.
“You say you want a 40-caliber high-point semi-automatic? Why do you want that gun?” “Well, I want it for something.” “That’s great. Do you want a holster too? We offer training. We have courses for $100. Do you want some training?” “No I’m not interested in training.” “Do you have kids in the house?” “Yeah, I’ve got kids in the house.” “Really? And you still don’t want training?” “No, I don’t want training.”
These are the questions they should be asking and they could very quickly assess whether that person has any intention of keeping that gun. I’m convinced that some of them don’t ask those questions. They just ask what the customer wants and if they have the money and whether they have any criminal convictions. Then give them the gun. But that’s not being a good public citizen.
They’re making their living and raising their families on the proceeds that they do engage in a legitimate business. They ought to consider themselves part of this community and be a good public citizen, just as we ask other businesses [to do so]. They derive benefit from the people of Milwaukee and they ought to have an obligation to those people as well.
Their business practices are resulting in cops being shot and a high proportion of their guns being used in homicides. They ought to be asking what they can do to change their practices to make them a better citizen of this community.
Shepherd: Have the recent police shootings made Badger’s owner Adam Allen more aware of the need to change the store’s business practices?
Chisholm: We get lip service. Only time will tell. But I think he’s on notice that our patience is being exhausted on this. We’re so deeply concerned about what we’re seeing. Clearly the tone of our discussions with him have changed.

In other words, They will bully Badger Guns into submission. they may not be able to take away their FFL but they will do anything else possible to run them out of town.

I think Chisholm is simply eyeballing the next AG position.

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Shepherd: Have the recent police shootings made Badger’s owner Adam Allen more aware of the need to change the store’s business practices?
Chisholm: We get lip service. Only time will tell. But I think he’s on notice that our patience is being exhausted on this. We’re so deeply concerned about what we’re seeing. Clearly the tone of our discussions with him have changed.

In other words, They will bully Badger Guns into submission. they may not be able to take away their FFL but they will do anything else possible to run them out of town.

I think Chisholm is simply eyeballing the next AG position.

I agree, Chisholm has his own goal, and it is bad for the whole state. Milwaukee has lost it's way, and the bums we havein office will do anything to make sure the people do not see who's fault it is. Smoke and mirrors, again. Has Milwaukee ever been any different? I am not old enough to remember any other way...

I can only say again and again, there is nothing wrong with Badger. It is the closest gun shop around my city. If a new gun shop were to open up in the City of Milwaukee, it would become the "bad" shop.