• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Hearing on Microstamping, December 1, 2009

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

This bill should die a quick and painless death. Not only does the technology not exist in reality, won't work or could be easily defeated if it did, but would add no useful tool to the crime fighters...........unless they are playing on CSI. :?

I read somewhere that the fired cases data provided by manufacturers has solved no crimes, not one. Anybody have a link?

Yata hey

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I read somewhere that the fired cases data provided by manufacturers has solved no crimes, not one. Anybody have a link?,

Yata hey

Try here. The New York and Maryland databases discussed at the hearing is on page 5.

Note that Maryland charges $20 per gun to fund their system.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/bg160

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TO: Citizens who contacted my office regarding SB 174 and SB 367 FR: Senator Jon Erpenbach, 27[sup]th[/sup] District

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact my office regard the public hearing held this week Tuesday which included Senate Bill 174. Senate Bill 367 was removed from the agenda of the hearing.
Here is a link to the Public Hearing notice for your information: http://committeeschedule.legis.state.wi.us/files/HearingNotices//09-12-01-1100-2009SJUD-12685.html
You can track legislation and receive email notifications by signing up at this link:
http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/ . The notification tab is on the lower right hand side of the page. There is additional information about the Legislature on this page as well.
Every bill needs to have a public hearing and an executive session, generally two different meetings, before it is eligible for action in the full Senate or Assembly.
Many times at public hearings concerns about a specific bill are brought up. Sometimes the author of the proposal can fix the problems but other times there are fundamental issues with the legislation which cripples its advancement.
In committee on Tuesday we heard arguments on both sides of the micro-stamping issue. Of particular concern to me; as a member of the committee, were issues of tampering with the technology, patent concerns about the technology and the fact that the bill requires imprinting in two places – technology that does not even exist currently. At this point it would be my analysis that this bill does not have the support in committee to move ahead. Concerns that I have as well as other questions raised by committee members give me the strong impression this bill will not move ahead any time soon. Nothing is a sure thing, so keep in touch with your Legislator.
Please sign up for the notification service (above) so you can know what is happening in Legislative time.
If you reside in the 27[sup]th[/sup] Senate District you will receive a letter from me on this topic. If you live outside the 27[sup]th[/sup] district please take the opportunity to contact your own State Senator on this matter. You can do that through the Legislative link above.
Below is the public record of the Committee.

SenateRecord of Committee Proceedings

Committee on Judiciary, Corrections, Insurance, Campaign Finance Reform, and Housing
Senate Bill 174
Relating to: creating a microstamping requirement for certain handguns, certification of compliance with the microstamping requirement, requiring the exercise of rule-making authority, and providing penalties.
By Senators Coggs and Taylor; cosponsored by Representatives Young, A. Williams, Turner, Berceau, Grigsby, Colon, Richards, Kessler, Sinicki and Pasch.
April 23, 2009 Referred to Committee on Judiciary, Corrections, Insurance, Campaign Finance Reform, and Housing.
December 1, 2009 PUBLIC HEARING HELD

• Present: (5) Senators Taylor, Sullivan, Erpenbach, Grothman and Hopper.
            Absent: (0) None.
            Appearances For
            • Leon Young — 16th Assembly District
            • William Morales — City of Milwaukee
            • Josh Horwitz — Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
            • Appearances Against
            • Jim Fendry — WI Pro-Gun Movement
            • Jordan Austin — National Rifle Association
            • Jeff Uhrig, Poynette — Self
            • Jake McGuigan — Firearms Industry (National Shooting Sports Foundation)
            • Jeff Nass — WI-FORCE (Wisconsin Firearms Owners, Ranges, Clubs, and Operators)
            • Hubert Hoffman, Onalaska — Self
            • Jeffrey Wiswell — Wisconsin Sheriff's & Deputy Sheriff's Association
            • Appearances for Information Only
            • None.
            • Registrations For
            • Jennifer Gonda — City of Milwaukee
            • Alice O'Connor — WI Chiefs of Police Association
            • Tony Gibart — WI Coalition Against Domestic Violence
            • Curt Witynski, Madison — League of Wisconsin Municipalities
            • Jeri Bonavia — Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE)
            • Registrations Against
            • Dan Kapanke — Wisconsin State Senate
            • Bob Welch — Wisconsin Bear Hunter's Association
            • James Hanson, Madison — Self

WIG19

imported post

RE the micro-stamping, I'd contacted Sen. Vinehout back in December 2008 regarding this BS back when the shill/patent-attorney for the company started making the legislative rounds in the states. I gave as full a history of this horsehockey as I could, as objectively as I could. I got a response from her on New Year's Eve 2008, and again in March of this year, both of which were most welcome, and quoted below:

31 December 2008:
Thank you very much for keeping me updated on this issue. I appreciate the time you took to do the research.

I will keep an eye out for any such bill. We have been successful at killing restrictive bills in the past. It is good to know what is being planned.

I completely agree with your conclusion. We definitely have more important issues to address.

30 March 2009:
Of course you can count on my support to oppose such ridiculousness.

I understand Senator Coggs has constituents to represent. And I respect him for that. But this is not good policy.

I will continue in my vigilance to protect our 2nd Amendment writes and appreciate my partnership with you.

Please continue to keep me informed as you hear of such nonsense!

I appreciated her responses then and still do, so the lesson is that there are those who can recognize a varmint proposal when they see one, even more so when they're forearmed and presented with some facts. It might pay off down the road.

Stay involved. ;)

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Senator Taylor has withdrew as a co-sponsor of the assembly verison.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us//2009/data/AB221hst.html

Send her an emailthanking her for doing so and also for the even-handed way that she conducted the Senate committee hearing.

Sen.taylor@legis.wisconsin.gov

Maybe there is hope that a dialogue between the pro-2nd community and at least one City of Milwaukee legislator can occur.