• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Hearing on Microstamping, December 1, 2009

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know not everyone here is a fan of the NRA but they can be a good source of information. Here is something they sent to me today.

[align=center][size=Wisconsin][/size][size=[size="3"]: “Micro-stamping” and “Lost or Stolen” Legislation To Be Heard in Committee next Week![/size]
][/size]
Please Contact the Committee Members![size=[/align] On Tuesday, December 1 at 11:00 A.M., the Wisconsin State Senate Judiciary Committee will consider two anti-gun bills, Senate Bill 174 and Senate Bill 367. ][/size]Bothof these billswould infringe on rights of law-abiding gun owners and have no impact on crime.Sen.Taylor@legis.wisconsin.gov

Vice-Chair Senator Jim Sullivan (D-5)
(608) 266-2512
Sen.Sullivan@legis.wisconsin.gov
Senator Jon Erpenbach (D-27)
(608) 266-6670
Sen.Erpenbach@legis.wisconsin.gov

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SB 174 would require micro-stamping technology on all newly manufactured handguns sold in Wisconsin. If passed,the bill would requirenewly sold handguns tomicro-stampa uniquecodeontothe cartridge case upon firing.This unproven technology will increase the cost of firearms, potentially putting them out of reach to some consumers.However, since no manufacturer currently sell a firearm capable of micro-stamping a cartridge case, it will effectively ban new handguns in Wisconsin.In addition, criminalscould easily remove the microscopic codesfrom the firearm usingusingany number of commonly-ownedhousehold tools.This dangerous legislation needs to bedefeated.

SB 367 would require gun-owners to report lost or stolen firearms within a 48-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment.If passed, this legislation could turn law-abiding gun owners--who have already been victimized by theft--into criminals for failing to report the loss of theftof a firearm within the require timeframe.

For some reason it wouldn't copy into one post.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just got this ............

Thank you for your email,

These bills are NOT up for a vote on Tuesday. There is a public hearing scheduled on the bills that day but no vote. Senator Erpenbach does not chair the committee so he had no say in what was scheduled for hearing that day. Additionally he has some true concerns about micro-stamping technology. The other bill could also use a bit of work to address some concerns. Please keep in touch.
Julie Laundrie

Office of Senator Jon Erpenbach

608-266-6670

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The committee:

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/w3asp/commpages/IndividualCommittee.aspx?COMMITTEE=Judiciary%2c+Corrections%2c+Insurance%2c+Campaign+Finance+Reform%2c+and+Housing&HOUSE=Senate

Taylor schedules these two P of C, but buries a bill enhancing the right to self defense. Decker, as leader of the Dems, better have a little discussion with Ms. Taylor and let her know that her marching orders don't come from Barrett and Flynn.

Decker can remove her from her committee chair position - she should have never been given it in the first place.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I have to work and will not be able to attend. What would the ybe willing to trade for this micro stamping bill? A no compromise, non permitted system?

Geoff

imported post

I'm still a bit naive about how WI gov't works, but who isn't? What do these three senators in particular have to do with the proposed bills? Are they the authors?

Is the judiciary committee's goal to determine if these bills should make it to the rest of the Senate?

Thanks,
Geoff

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
SB 367 would require gun-owners to report lost or stolen firearms within a 48-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment.If passed, this legislation could turn law-abiding gun owners--who have already been victimized by theft--into criminals for failing to report the loss of theftof a firearm within the require timeframe.

SB 367 was removed on Monday, one day before the hearing. Flynn, MAiGand Jeri B, the head WAVE goul,must not have gotten their lie lines fully rehearsed

AaronS

imported post

Well the discussion of SB174 (firearm micro-stamping) just ended. It sounds like (once again) the Milwaukee Representatives never did any homework on the issue. It also sounds to me that now that this board has heard some information on micro-stamping, this bill will die. It was a joke, and Cali. is going to have real problems starting Jan. 1st (Cali. passed this into law). One person that represents firearm manufacturers told the board that not one manufacturer in America produces any firearm with this micro-stamping, so in effect, there will not be one handgun that will be able to be sold in the state of Cali. after Jan 1st. Heck of a thought Eh?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

AaronS wrote:
One person that represents firearm manufacturers told the board that not one manufacturer in America produces any firearm with this micro-stamping, so in effect, there will not be one handgun that will be able to be sold in the state of Cali. after Jan 1st. Heck of a thought Eh?

Wouldn't this successfully wipe out the 2A rights of any Cali resident? Seems ripe for a lawsuit on constitutional grounds that would be very winnable.

Now how about if one manufacturer complies and does this micro-engraving, could this then be chalanged as being a monopoly and be looked at as an anti-trust case like what microsoft had endured?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was there and spoke almost last. I pointed out that the "micro stamping" they talked about today is NOT what California is talking about and would not be legal with the passage of this bill.

The bill found here: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-174.pdfstates among other things:
(e) "Microstamp" means a unique code on at least 2 locations on each expended cartridge case that identifies the make, model, and serial number of the handgun that expended the cartridge.
The microstamp everybody was talking about was on the firing pin which would leave the mark on the primer, not the case. So the technology for putting two micro stamps on the actual casing doesn't even exist.

I hope this dies as well, but we need to continue to be ever vigilant.

AaronS

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I was there and spoke almost last. I pointed out that the "micro stamping" they talked about today is NOT what California is talking about and would not be legal with the passage of this bill.

The bill found here: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-174.pdfstates among other things:
(e) "Microstamp" means a unique code on at least 2 locations on each expended cartridge case that identifies the make, model, and serial number of the handgun that expended the cartridge.
The microstamp everybody was talking about was on the firing pin which would leave the mark on the primer, not the case. So the technology for putting two micro stamps on the actual casing doesn't even exist.

I hope this dies as well, but we need to continue to be ever vigilant.

Ahh, so that was you. Now even I know what you look like. Well you did a good job. It sounded like your point was heard, and understood.

Thanks.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was the guy in the purple shirt and grey tie. If memory serves, I spoke right after the WI-Force guy.