• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and I made someone mad

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

After I wrote the photo essay about city council and put it on Old Va and posted pictures here, someone hacked the Old Va Photo Gallery and put a redirect in.

Fixed it.

I must have made someone awfully mad to go to the trouble. It's nice to know I hit a nerve:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

A line of dancing bananas for you.

Please find out what nerve it was you plucked, and go at it like a flemenco guitar player on meth!

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Any idea how you got hacked? Did they just guess your passwords?

TFred
I'm trying to figure that out now Fred.
It was hardcoded in so they had to either know my password or credit card number. The chances of finding that number are about the same as death by meteorite but there is a chance someone could have guessed my password with a small amount of research.

It was my daughters name but isn't now:lol:

I went back and started looking at the stats and there's no way to figure it out that way. I had over ten thousand hits that day.

I may be able to trim the timeline down some and figure it out then.

I don't think the person was a computer genius, or maybe they were. They only redirected the thumbnail directory. The full images that were linked here and on the news page were not effected. I just couldn't get in to the picture hosting to change, add or fix anything.

darthmord

imported post

peter nap wrote:
After I wrote the photo essay about city council and put it on Old Va and posted pictures here, someone hacked the Old Va Photo Gallery and put a redirect in.

Fixed it.

I must have made someone awfully mad to go to the trouble. It's nice to know I hit a nerve:lol:
Please. Keep hitting those nerves. Truth and Honesty havenever hurt a politician who was doing his/her job properly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Fixed it.

Please. Keep hitting those nerves. Truth and Honesty havenever hurt a politician who was doing his/her job properly.
I'd be surprised if it were anyone associated with the City. Much more likely to be someone close to the lonesome 5 or just an Anti that didn't like the story.

It's not like I have a shortage of people that get angry over one story or the other, but the timing indicate it's this series of photo's and since it was the photo gallery that they hit........

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Ah, that's why my passwords are long strings of gobbledygook and all of them are different. Of course I have to keep a file listing them, but it's hidden on the drive with some innocent name and is password protected too. The only problem with that is that it shows up in my most recent documents list after I've used it. Not sure I can turn that off or not.

wylde007

imported post

In XP, Right Click Start -> Properties [Start Menu] [Customize] [Advanced]

There should be a Check Box and a button [Clear List]. Uncheck the box to stop updating recent documents.

Click the button to clear the current list.

Neplusultra

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
In XP, Right Click Start -> Properties [Start Menu] [Customize] [Advanced]

There should be a Check Box and a button [Clear List]. Uncheck the box to stop updating recent documents.

Click the button to clear the current list.
Thanks, 007. Bwahaha :^)!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Where was the redirect? No need to provide the site, just what was the subject of the site, or was it just a "Its been hacked" page?
Cyberspace to a dead link.

You just got a 404 error. Looked like the site was gone.

I guess they did me a favor in a way. I'd been too lazy to reconfigure the site to accept video. I went ahead and did the upgrades while I was fixing it.

Got a test video up now (Fire on the Mountain)

TFred

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Ah, that's why my passwords are long strings of gobbledygook and all of them are different. Of course I have to keep a file listing them, but it's hidden on the drive with some innocent name and is password protected too. The only problem with that is that it shows up in my most recent documents list after I've used it. Not sure I can turn that off or not.
I don't use this (yet), but I've heard nothing but good about it. You just have to remember one password with this... :)

http://keepass.info/

TFred

Repeater

imported post

To express an opinion regarding her behavior, you may contact Kathy at

ccwicked.jpg

Kathy.Graziano@Richmondgov.com

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I don't use this (yet), but I've heard nothing but good about it. You just have to remember one password with this... :)

http://keepass.info/

TFred
Homeland Security runs that site don't they :^).