Thread: Open carry under 21

Post imported post

Hello everyone. New user andFL native looking for some information.

Can anyone give any input or refer me to any sources regarding the open carrying of a firearm, with respect to the DEP's new change, of a person under the age of 21(over 18).

I'm currently 20 years old, own several firearms, take several firearms to the range on a monthly basis, and legally store a firearm, securely encased and not readily accessible, in my vehicle for self defense. However, I am somewhat worried about openly carrying a firearm due to the fact that the state statues say nothing about the legal age to carry a firearm. It only states that it is illegal to transfer/sell/give a firearm to a minor under the age of 18 and that you need to be 21 years of age to receive a concealed weapons permit.Only 2 months till I can get my CWP, dont want to get in trouble before then!

Thanks for your help.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Interesting - can you search your state statutes to see what the minimum age to possess a handgun is in Florida and tell us?

Post imported post

Minimum age to possess a handgun is 18. I would love to contribute to the open carry ojective here in florida, but I'd rather not get charged with a felony...:shock:

I beleive this question will wind up unanswered. A letter to the AG's office may be needed.

Post imported post

schwaa wrote:
    Hello everyone. New user andFL native looking for some information.

Can anyone give any input or refer me to any sources regarding the open carrying of a firearm, with respect to the DEP's new change, of a person under the age of 21(over 18).

I'm currently 20 years old, own several firearms, take several firearms to the range on a monthly basis, and legally store a firearm, securely encased and not readily accessible, in my vehicle for self defense. However, I am somewhat worried about openly carrying a firearm due to the fact that the state statues say nothing about the legal age to carry a firearm. It only states that it is illegal to transfer/sell/give a firearm to a minor under the age of 18 and that you need to be 21 years of age to receive a concealed weapons permit.Only 2 months till I can get my CWP, dont want to get in trouble before then!

Thanks for your help.
    Florida Statute 790.22(3):
    A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his or her home, unless:

[The rest is meaningless as you are not under 18]
    But because laws generally tell us what is unlawful, not lawful, you'll need to interpret this as:
    An adult 18 years of age and older may possess a loaded firearm everywhere such possession isnot otherwise prohibitedin this state.

Post imported post

That makes sense. I think its time to go fishing at Honeymoon Island. Just gotta make sure theyre on the same page .

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

schwaa wrote:
    Minimum age to possess a handgun is 18.
    OK, and someboy cited to authority below so yeah, looks like you can open carry inthose rare exceptions allowed under FL law - you can also carry concealed in vehicles as specified under Florida law (encased/in holster/in glove box a I recall).