• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

over 21 to under 21 transfer

mr.vegas

imported post

So here's the scoop. I'm 19, and a friend of mine wants to give me a new glock for my birthday. Does he have to register it in his name first, before I can register? It has not been purchased as of yet. This is my first handgun, and I honestly do not know the process for over 18 - under 21 registration.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Correcting my previously incorrect post.

According to the instructions for Question 11a on the US DOJ Firearms Transaction Record, you can purchase a firearm intended as a gift for someone else.

"For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party."

I didn't know that until I just went and read it.

Anyway, to properly answer your original question, if he buys it at a local gun store, they'll probably just register it in his name. No big deal, take the blue card they issue and go down to your local precinct and register it there in your name. Same day if you want. There's no time limit under county law.

mr.vegas

imported post

I was under the impression that the blue card was given by the police department you registered your gun at, and nothing but some paperwork was given by the store.

mr.vegas

imported post

Oh! I had no idea. Now it all makes sense! :p

should i anticipate any problems from the PD for under 21 registration? I have no arrests or anything on my record.

Also, what about the upcomming gun show?

Thank you, for sharing your time and knowledge.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mr.vegas wrote:
So here's the scoop. I'm 19, and a friend of mine wants to give me a new glock for my birthday. Does he have to register it in his name first, before I can register? It has not been purchased as of yet. This is my first handgun, and I honestly do not know the process for over 18 - under 21 registration.

I guess you live in Clark county which has local registration? Please add your city and state to your profile.

Anyway, i am not aware of any transfer restrictions in Clark County, are you? If not, then you can just do the transfer, i.e., open your xmas present, and the transfer is complete, no paperwork or mahic incantations required.

then if you live in Clark county, apparently you must register the handgun - so just do so.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Now if the person who is giving you a gift is going to buy the gun from a dealer, and this triggers some sort of automatic regiustration with County officials, consider going to a gun store outside Clark county.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you buy from an out-of-county dealer, that is OK, but just be aware of Clark County Code 12.04.110. That law requires any resident to register any pistol within 72 hours of "receiving title" to said pistol. Technically, if your friend is a resident of Clark County, even if the gun is in a box and wrapped, he has title to it until it becomes gifted to you, and would be required to register it in his name. Just have him purchase it less than 72 hours before giving it to you to ensure compliance.

Per Clark County Code 12.04.220:

Any person who violates any of the provisions of Sections 12.04.010 through 12.04.210 is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed six months or by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars, or by both.
Also, be aware of the following County code. It is technically preempted by state law (NRS 244.364), but it's entirely possible the police department will try to enforce it anyway.

CCC 12.04.210 - Unlawful transfer of firearms capable of being concealed.

It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the transferor thereof first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the transferee and new owner thereof, either with the sheriff, or with a police department of one of the incorporated cities of Clark County.
In other words, the seller, or gift-giver, must make sure you register the pistol. In the case of purchasing an out-of-county weapon that is not automatically registered by the retail store, you may get questions about why the pistol was not registered by the former owner/purchaser.

Good luck! And please post your results.

joeschmo

imported post

There won't be any issue in any way, even if the person giving the gift buys it in Clark County. The members on this forum make everything seem more difficult and complicated than it ever needs to be. Contrary to popular belief, the registration is not out to get you.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't trust police officers because they've given me plenty of reasons not to.

I was responding to the statement that the gun should just be purchased "out of county" to avoid the automatic registration that local gun stores will do.

If you are a resident of Clark County and purchase a gun in Nye County, the retailer will probably not register it for you, so you have 72 hours to register it. Even if you plan to give it as a gift next week, it's still "your" gun right now and technically requires you to register it in your name.

As for over complicating the issue, maybe.

But if registration "is not out to get you", then why are there so many stories on this forum about unprofessional mistreatment by law enforcement officers of those lawfully armed citizens who are unfortunate enough to have to deal with them?

joeschmo

imported post

timf343 wrote:
I don't trust police officers because they've given me plenty of reasons not to.

I was responding to the statement that the gun should just be purchased "out of county" to avoid the automatic registration that local gun stores will do.

If you are a resident of Clark County and purchase a gun in Nye County, the retailer will probably not register it for you, so you have 72 hours to register it. Even if you plan to give it as a gift next week, it's still "your" gun right now and technically requires you to register it in your name.

But if registration "is not out to get you", then why are there so many stories on this forum about unprofessional mistreatment by law enforcement officers of those lawfully armed citizens who are unfortunate enough to have to deal with them?

There have been more stories on this forum of positive LE encounters than there have negative LE encounters. Remember, Metro did push out training regarding open carry to it's officers. If I recall from the info you obtained, it did not mention anything about blue cards. Maybe it's time to call the PIO office or the firearms detail (who is more gun friendly than 95% of other LE agencies and created the OC training I assume) and start pushing for blue card training to officers.

As far as the registration aspect, I doubt the TS will have an issues whichever way he goes. The people who register guns aren't officers and didn't give me trouble when I did the same thing being under 21. I was also responding to the statement about buying out of county as the over complicating part.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, fair enough. Yes, there are lots of positive LE encounters, or rather, non-encounters. But all it takes is once. Having had guns pointed at me and being held in handcuffs for more than 20 minutes while I'm interrogated, berated, and threatened, I know my distrust is warranted.

The Big Guy

imported post

I have registered 2 guns now at Henderson PD. One I bought while living in CA years ago. I registered with the officer at the front desk. No problem what so ever.I just put down that I bought it"at a gun shop in CA about 15 years ago."In fact I had a nice long chat with the lady officer about wheel guns. She said she had never shot one and had been giving some thought to getting one as other officers told her they preferred them to autos.

The second one was just recently. A small .380 that I bought off an old vet that needed the money. He told me he had never registered it, didn't know anything about it. I put down "private sale, Jerry ? in Hederson NV". The male officer at the desk did not bat an eye. He just asked me if I had ever been arrested anywhere, to which I replied "no" and he gave me the blue card. I'm not sure if he even ran me. The first time the officer made a call and gave my info, this guy did not, I wasin and out in about 10 mins with interruptions.

My guess is as long as the gun does not come up "HOT", they don't give a damn. Now having said that, I'm sure you could always run into someone with a burr up their backside who may try to make life difficult.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
timf343 wrote:

There have been more stories on this forum of positive LE encounters than there have negative LE encounters. Remember, Metro did push out training regarding open carry to it's officers. If I recall from the info you obtained, it did not mention anything about blue cards. Maybe it's time to call the PIO office or the firearms detail (who is more gun friendly than 95% of other LE agencies and created the OC training I assume) and start pushing for blue card training to officers.

As far as the registration aspect, I doubt the TS will have an issues whichever way he goes. The people who register guns aren't officers and didn't give me trouble when I did the same thing being under 21. I was also responding to the statement about buying out of county as the over complicating part.

The problem is not the REGISTRATION aspect, that seems to go fairly smooth as it should, the problem that I see is after you legally register your firearm, and are legally walking down the street minding your own business, METRO demands your blue card or you go to jail. This happens over and over, there are occurrences from out of stator's who do not have to register.

I have called METRO repeatedly and they say they don't do it.I have written the County Commissioners, They asked METRO and METRO Ignored that aspect of the Inquiry, I Complained at the Sheriffs and Chiefs meeting, they said it was irrelevant,

The bottom line here is the BLUE CARD is being used to force you out of your 4th amendment right, and it needs to go.

mr.vegas

imported post

Thank you, all of you, for all your help.

I am very excited, after I become proficient with my new gun, to become part of the open carry community, and exercise my right to bear arms as an American.

I know many people may look down at us for feeling the need to carry, but when seconds count, sometimes help is minutes away. Hopefully, the majority of our friends and neighbors never need to know the extent of that.

Again, thank you.