• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holster with gun and ammo same side

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

While looking for online holsters saw a holster that holds both the gun and two ammo mags on the same side, one mag in front and one mag behind gun. Don't know what site it was. Is this ok? Is it absolutely necessary to have mags on the opposite side of the body? To me makes sense thatmag is apposite of gun so that both hands can easily unholster at the same time, but wondered if it's legal to have both same side and if anybody has this setup.

Thanks

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
While looking for online holsters saw a holster that holds both the gun and two ammo mags on the same side, one mag in front and one mag behind gun.  Don't know what site it was.  Is this ok?  Is it absolutely necessary to have mags on the opposite side of the body?  To me makes sense that mag is apposite of gun so that both hands can easily unholster at the same time, but wondered if it's legal to have both same side and if anybody has this setup.

Thanks

Think it through. Presumably you are carrying the firearm on the same side as your shooting hand. In other words you are not cross drawing. Once you have the weapon in your hand, how easy will it be to reach across your body to get at the magazines with your other hand?

Regards

Jeff Hayes

imported post

When I CC I carry a Taurus PT 145 or PT 745 in a Galco Walkabout holster that has a spare mag holder built on the front of the holster. Galco makes this holster for a lot of guns. I did have to modify the mag pouch for thePT 745 single stack Mag.

I cant think of any reason it would be illegal to carry both Mags and gun on the same side.

IANAL check the laws in your state.

Orphan

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:
While looking for online holsters saw a holster that holds both the gun and two ammo mags on the same side, one mag in front and one mag behind gun. Don't know what site it was. Is this ok? Is it absolutely necessary to have mags on the opposite side of the body? To me makes sense thatmag is apposite of gun so that both hands can easily unholster at the same time, but wondered if it's legal to have both same side and if anybody has this setup.

Thanks

Think it through. Presumably you are carrying the firearm on the same side as your shooting hand. In other words you are not cross drawing. Once you have the weapon in your hand, how easy will it be to reach across your body to get at the magazines with your other hand?

Regards
Hawkflyer is correct if you carry past 3 oclock.At3 oclock the spare mag is about 2 oclock and easily reached. I practice droping the mag and retreaving the spare and it is as fast as getting a mag from the weak side for me. YMMV

Orphan

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Orphan wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:

Thanks

Regards
Hawkflyer is correct if you carry past 3 oclock.At3 oclock the spare mag is about 2 oclock and easily reached. I practice droping the mag and retreaving the spare and it is as fast as getting a mag from the weak side for me. YMMV

Orphan
Ok, although I like that configuration, and I think I can practice to be proficient like you, I think I'll head over to California atthe Stories from the States sub forum and pose the question about legality. Thanks to all.

halo6941

imported post

hey there I was wondering I bought a holster with the same configuration as yours. Except mine has one mag pouch in the front. did you ever find out if its legal to use for open carry?